Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

ST. LOUIS -- The clearest evidence Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo felt better Sunday against the St. Louis Rams was not just his 16-yard scramble in the fourth quarter. It was how Romo moved from the beginning of the game until the end.

Romo, who completed 18 of 23 passes for 217 yards, two touchdowns and an interception, noticed a difference.

"I felt stronger, felt as if everything was firing, activation sequence, blah, blah, blah, stuff like that," Romo said. "That wasn't necessarily as well as I wanted to probably the first couple of weeks. But I've played through injury and stuff before. You just kind of manage it and play to the best of your ability. It was good to feel better this week than previous. That helped."

Romo sat out of Wednesday’s practice, spending time in the weight room as his teammates went through the game plan. He did not miss a practice the first two weeks of the regular season, but he did not feel his best in either game as he works his way back from back surgery.

Romo said he isn’t sure if he will continue to sit on Wednesdays going forward.

"I think more than anything you have to kind of figure out what’s going to give everyone the best opportunity to play at your best," Romo said. "If you’re just tired or sore, that’s just part of football. Nor does anyone get anything for that. It’s mostly just you want to have the functional strength that you might have without as many torqued situations during the week. I think with me, that was the benefit this week, and we’ll see going forward how that reacts and everything."

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Although Romo threw that bomb to Dez a bit short, he does seem to be getting better, except when he had that pic six in which he shouldn't of thrown.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Although Romo threw that bomb to Dez a bit short, he does seem to be getting better, except when he had that pic six in which he shouldn't of thrown.
I could see starting last week that his footwork and mechanics were returning somewhat. He is starting to shake off the rust too.

It's like he said himself, during preseason - after lower back surgery you have to re-learn just about everything.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Absolutely. There's really no excuse now, for Tony getting beat up.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Doug Free got blown up a couple times yesterday. Let Free go and start Martin at RT next year then draft another guard in the 2nd or 3rd round. We're almost there with the OL.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Plus, with Dez's contract we have to release a few players, I see Free, Durant, and possibly Spencer being cut after the season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Doug Free got blown up a couple times yesterday. Let Free go and start Martin at RT next year then draft another guard in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Yeah see, I keep remembering that the "great wall" line of the 90s never had one single solitary 1st round pick in it, ever. It's almost like there was some good coaching involved in it instead of throwing money at it mindlessly.
Plus, with Dez's contract we have to release a few players, I see Free, Durant, and possibly Spencer being cut after the season.
Wouldn't get any argument from me.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We could even go later rounds with a guard. Off topic a little but I'd draft some CB help or maybe even another safety to go with Church. I'm about done with Carr and Claiborne. Both look lost at times.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, without Marinelli though this defense really stinks, he coaches them up. Imagine what he could do with talent.

Reaction score
I don't think everyone on defense is "horrible". Church is a decent strong safety with a knack for making plays, he just gets exposed being the best player in our secondary. And we have a lot of guys (Wilbur, Selvie, Wilcox) who would be outstanding rotAtion players, they are just forced into bigger roles because of our lack of depth. We essentially are starting 11 second stringers right now.

And as to the continued argument about the Dallas line of the 90's having no first rounders in it...who cares? One, that was 25 fucking years ago. Two, that line was built with late round and undrafted gems, this one with first rounders. I could give a shit how you build your line, as long as you build it

Reaction score
OL picked in the later rounds can develop into fine players, no doubt, but generally they need at least a year in an NFL weight room before they are ready to play. Rookies who are seen as ready to step in on Day 1 are picked early.

If the plan is to pencil in a rookie to start in Martin's place at RG, that rookie likely would have to be a high pick (or we've got problems).

Maybe Bernadeau could start at RG next year. If so, it would be the task of Jerry's brain trust to find quality depth at C and G ... which is what Bernadeau now provides.

Reaction score
Costa ... geeze.

Who was the Guard drafted by the Cowboys from a small school ... his technique was apparently good but he just never got strong enough. I forget is name. Garrett seemed to like him, but the guy just never developed and so he was cut.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I could give a shit how you build your line, as long as you build it
Would really rather have the 1st round picks used on the D. Three out of the last four 1st picks have been for this OL.

Nate Newton - Tex Schramm told Jerry "don't bother with him, he is not worth the time" and look what happened. The OL isn't about 1st round picks, it is about chemistry, unity and teamwork, and good coaching. The chemistry unity and teamwork came from being a run first, smash mouth team back then. I don't care how many 1st rounders you have, if you are a sissy pass protect line you're never going to develop nastiness, chemistry, unity or teamwork.

Throwing money at it is the wrong approach.

Reaction score
Throwing money at is the wrong approach only if it doesn't work. Same could be said about using late rounders. Would you rather we hadn't drafted Smith?

And I don't give a Fuck what Schramm said. It is not 1988 anymore.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Throwing money at is the wrong approach only if it doesn't work. Same could be said about using late rounders. Would you rather we hadn't drafted Smith?
Not Smith but definitely Martin. They operated at almost total neglect of the worst defense in history last draft. I still maintain Martin would have been available later, in the second round. I know, shoot me. I just can't see how you draft your third O-Lineman in the first round having come off the total disaster the defense was the year prior.

Reaction score
Martin would not have been there in the second. If he was the best player on the board (excusing Jerry's Manziel nonsense), then take him.

Top Bottom