dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I responded on another board already to this article, but two things really make me question anyone thinking Smith is potentially a top 5 pick.

First of all, the guy has limited experience at LT. He hasn't played it since HS, and generally teams don't spend higher picks on RT's.

Second, the guy has NEVER played at the weight teams are asking him to get up to when he enters the NFL, which is AT LEAST 30 pounds heavier than he has ever played at before.

These are two definate concerns that i just don't see most top 10 OT's having. So while i think he's an incredible athletic talent, i think talking about him going top 5 is a little much right now.

In regards to havent played LT since HS, that isnt entirely true. He did play it some at USC. I also read that the reason he didnt move to LT as a soph wasnt because he couldnt play there but because the USC coaches firmly expected Smith to turn pro after this season (which he did) and they had a good potential LT who would be there longterm.

Second, in regards to the weight thing. He's an OL. It isnt like he's a WR or RB and the added weight would greatly slow him down. He still performed brilliantly in position drills and athletic testing with the added weight. The added weight enhances his draft position, not hurt it. He's a 20yr old kid and he's still filling out.

sbk92

Reaction score
Smith's not the only top 10 projection with some questions.

Bowers, Fairley and Newton are one year wonders. I think it's a bigger risk taking one of those guys than it would be taking a college RT that you think can play LT.

At worst he's a RT. With the other guys, at worst they never again play to the level of their one great year in college.

C

Cr122

Smith's not the only top 10 projection with some questions.

Bowers, Fairley and Newton are one year wonders. I think it's a bigger risk taking one of those guys than it would be taking a college RT that you think can play LT.

At worst he's a RT. With the other guys, at worst they never again play to the level of their one great year in college.

That's why Smith makes the most sense, but like you said in another thread there's other options at 9 as well. It mainly depends on if teams bite on these QBs.

Reaction score
In regards to havent played LT since HS, that isnt entirely true. He did play it some at USC. I also read that the reason he didnt move to LT as a soph wasnt because he couldnt play there but because the USC coaches firmly expected Smith to turn pro after this season (which he did) and they had a good potential LT who would be there longterm.

Second, in regards to the weight thing. He's an OL. It isnt like he's a WR or RB and the added weight would greatly slow him down. He still performed brilliantly in position drills and athletic testing with the added weight. The added weight enhances his draft position, not hurt it. He's a 20yr old kid and he's still filling out.

Doing well in position drills and performing against 300 lbs monsters who will eat you up and spit you out if you even make one split second mistake is completely different. He never started at LT in college, i should have said that. And he's never played a single down at his current weight, and 30 lbs isn't something to sniff at when its mostly muscle being added. It can completely throw you off. It'll definately help in the long run. But again, he's 20, he is a little inexperienced, and he's 30 lbs heavier than any weight he's ever played at.

Again.. just doesn't sound like he's a potential top 5 pick to me. Top 10 or 15 sure.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Doing well in position drills and performing against 300 lbs monsters who will eat you up and spit you out if you even make one split second mistake is completely different. He never started at LT in college, i should have said that. And he's never played a single down at his current weight, and 30 lbs isn't something to sniff at when its mostly muscle being added. It can completely throw you off. It'll definately help in the long run. But again, he's 20, he is a little inexperienced, and he's 30 lbs heavier than any weight he's ever played at.

Again.. just doesn't sound like he's a potential top 5 pick to me. Top 10 or 15 sure.

Mark Tuinei played nothing but DT throughout his entire college career. It wasn't until his second year with the Cowboys to where he made the switch from DT to OT, and LT at that, and became one of the best Cowboys' Olinemen ever. With that in mind, I am not concerned with Smith going from RT to LT.

Top Bottom