Reaction score
I stole this from Sdogo, since he was too lazy to post it here.

1. Buffalo Bills, Pick#3: Word out of Orchard Park is that the Bills are leaning towards passing on a QB and focusing on a primer defensive player or upgrading the OL. 4 different players made a start for the Bills at RT in 2010 and the average Bills fan will have a hard time naming their starting LT (Demetrius Bell). The Bills are in a position where a team that covets one of the top players in this draft could easily slide into their spot and with many holes to fill and financial difficulties a trade down could be attractive for Buffalo. A trade down in the top 8 would put them in a prime spot to land Smith. Most of all, we are talking about the Bills. If there is a team other then the Bengals and Raiders that you can bet on making you say "what" on draft day, it's the Bills.

2. Cincinnati Bengals, Pick#4:
Much like the Bill and the Cowboys, the head coach and owner have singled out the offensive line as the one spot that will be upgraded in the off season. 4 of the 5 starters on the Bengals offensive line are either FA's or entering the final year of a contract. On top of that, they average 32 years old per player across the offensive line. The Bengals could look to land one of the two QB's or go at a skill position like WR or like the Bills, they have a lot of leverage in a trade down. Also like the Bills, the Bengals are notoriously unpredictable!

3. Arizona Cardinals, Pick #5: Consider if Von Miller goes to Buffalo and the Cardinals are set on adding a Vet QB, what is their next biggest need? You should of said offensive tackle where 7 year vet Levi Brown has been less then steady on the left side and may be best fit as a RT at this point. If you take a OT at #5 he should be able to play LT. This spot more then any for several reasons could be the spot that steals Smith from the Boys.

4. Cleveland Browns, Pick #6: After John St Clair was released I challenge anyone to name a contender on the Browns roster for the RT position. Tony Pasho's was signed as a FA but their is concern that he may not return to form if at all. The Browns have several positions that need addressed and should offer good value at 6 so a choice of Smith would be a bit of a surprise but Holmgren is a football guy and knows the importance of offensive line play.

5. New England Patriots, Pick 17 & 28: It's no secret the Patriots have the fire power to move up any where they want in the draft and it's becoming a poorly kept secret that upgrading the offensive line as a whole is a priority. It's also very evident the Patriots have taking a grand liking to Smith. It would be pretty easy for them to leapfrog Dallas to 8 with the picks they have.

6. Washington Redskins, Pick 10: Guess who had the biggest showing at Smith's pro day? Guess who met with him at the Combine? Guess who has invited him in for a private visit? Yes, the Redskins. More quietly then any team, the Skins have shown the most interest in Smith and while all the attention seems to be on the Skins looking QB or WR those in the know think Joe Bugels nod of approval from USC's pro day despite announcing his retirement could be a sign everyone is missing. Sure he they would need to jump the Cowboys but if they are that sold a trade up two spots would be very cost effective.

7. Detroit Lions, Pick 13: Probably more then any team in the league, the Lions need to upgrade the offensive line. Jeff Backus is on his last leg, they have no depth or youth to speak of and they have turned up the heat in recent weeks on Smith. A move up from the 13th would be friendly on the wallet and while CB may be more of a pressing need the draft could determine that possibility.

8. Stock of a hot prospect in a class where no elite prospects exist when in high demand: You can never under estimate the stock of hot prospect like Smith when the draft comes around. With so many teams looking for offensive line help and Smith establishing himself at the top of the class it's a recipe for a draft day shocker. We have seen it in the past, we see it every year. A players stock surpass his value because of built up hype and the excitement of draft day always caused a team or two to lose their composure. It seems to be brewing with Smith and we are hearing more and more talk about him going higher then 9. Typically where there is smoke their is fire.

Reaction score
I don't think the Redskins have any firepower whatsoever to move up in the draft. Either in picks, or players on the current roster.

They might have an interest in Smith if he's at 10, but I don't see them as a threat to move up at all.

Cythim

Reaction score
Would the Skins really draft tackle in the top 10 for two years in a row?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
6. Washington Redskins, Pick 10: Guess who had the biggest showing at Smith's pro day? Guess who met with him at the Combine? Guess who has invited him in for a private visit? Yes, the Redskins. More quietly then any team, the Skins have shown the most interest in Smith and while all the attention seems to be on the Skins looking QB or WR those in the know think Joe Bugels nod of approval from USC's pro day despite announcing his retirement could be a sign everyone is missing. Sure he they would need to jump the Cowboys but if they are that sold a trade up two spots would be very cost effective.

I don't know. I had read that no other team has requested as much film on Smith than the Cowboys, and then you had Garrett personally at the USC Pro Day---he was only one of two HCs to have attended.

I don't think the Redskins interest is sincere, but a tactic to try and intimidate the Cowboys from trading down, because if the Cowboys trade down, then that would ruin the Redskins' chances of doing so. Shanahan has already gone on record stating that the Redskins will try to trade down and collect picks, and Jones has already stated that two teams have already inquired about the #9 pick. Clearly the Cowboys want to trade down far enough to get some decent extra picks and still get Smith. I think the Redskins want Quinn but do not want to trade up for him. If Quinn is at our pick and we trade down to the Pats maybe, and screw the Redskins out, I can see them going after Smith in retaliation. I know it sounds like I making shit up and that normally you would not think a team would invoke such a draft strategy, but we are talking about the Redskins and I challege any to show me a team that is more obsessed with their rival than the Redskins are with the Cowboys.

Personally, I still want to move down, even at the risk of missing out on Smith. If we do, then we should go aftwer Sherrod, and I think we could trade down twice in the 1st and still get him.

Cythim

Reaction score
Well, I can't find anyone more obsessed with the Redskins than you are.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well, I can't find anyone more obsessed with the Redskins than you are.

Not really. I like giving shit to their fanbase but couldn't give much shit to the team, although the team's mindset reflects the fanbase.

Cythim

Reaction score
You just seem to know more about them than most of us around here :towel

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When you stalk their forums which you've been banned from... yeah, it kinda does :jerkoff

I don't stalk their forum. I was right there in the open. They didn't like my opinions. My getting banned was a testament to that. But you seem quite obsess with me at the moment or at least obsessed with getting the last word in.

sbk92

Reaction score
I find all those possibilities not very likely.

But let's be careful that we don't turn this into a one player draft. It's not Tyron Smith or bust. There will be a pro bowl caliber player available at 9.

Reaction score
I responded on another board already to this article, but two things really make me question anyone thinking Smith is potentially a top 5 pick.

First of all, the guy has limited experience at LT. He hasn't played it since HS, and generally teams don't spend higher picks on RT's.

Second, the guy has NEVER played at the weight teams are asking him to get up to when he enters the NFL, which is AT LEAST 30 pounds heavier than he has ever played at before.

These are two definate concerns that i just don't see most top 10 OT's having. So while i think he's an incredible athletic talent, i think talking about him going top 5 is a little much right now.

C

Cr122

I find all those possibilities not very likely.

But let's be careful that we don't turn this into a one player draft. It's not Tyron Smith or bust. There will be a pro bowl caliber player available at 9.

That's what I'm saying, he's not the only player at 9 I like.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't the Lions draft Gosder Cherilus a couple years ago?

Yes, but he apparently had microfracture surgery and there are questions as to whether he will make a full recovery. The other starting T Backus is old and on the serious downside of his career.

Top Bottom