bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1481517789-NS_11GIANTSCOWBOYSLD13_54455208.JPG

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- For only the second time this season the Dallas Cowboys lost a football game.

Here are my thoughts on the 10-7 loss to the New York Giants Sunday night.

1. Dak's rough game

Dak Prescott hasn't looked human much during the Cowboys' 11-1 start, but he did Sunday night, completing 17 of 37 passes for 165 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. The rookie quarterback also fumbled late in the second quarter, however, it was recovered by right tackle Doug Free. Prescott, who has posted a 100 passer rating in 10 of the last 11 games, finished with a 45.4 rating. His first interception was only his third of the season and his first since Oct. 30. Prescott went 171 consecutive throws -- five games -- between interceptions. He set the NFL rookie record by passing 176 consecutive times without an interception to start his career. Sunday night was certainly the worst game of his young career.

2. Zeke did better against Giants' D this time around

Ezekiel Elliott was much better in his rematch with the Giants. The rookie finished with only 51 yards on 20 carries in Week 1. He had 86 yards by halftime Sunday night. Elliott hasn't had less than 83 yards since Dallas' first meeting with the Giants. Several times over the last few months, Elliott has said that he wasn't patient enough in the season opener. His patience didn't seem to be a problem against a New York run defense that came in ranked fifth in the NFL, holding opponents to 91.4 yards per game. Elliott finished with 107 yards on 24 carries.

3. Dak-to-Dez...what's wrong with that connection?

Dez Bryant and Prescott never seemed to be on the same page all night. Bryant did not have a catch through the first three quarters. On his three targets through the first three quarters, two resulted in Prescott interceptions. He finished with one catch on nine targets with a lost fumble. Without Bryant being a down-field threat, the Cowboys offense becomes much more one-dimensional. They must figure out a way to get Bryant and Prescott in rhythm. If not, playoff teams can just focus on loading the box and stopping the Cowboys run game.

4. Third-down troubles

What happened to that third-down success? The Cowboys came in converting 46.1 percent. They were 1-15 on third down Sunday night. They were 1-9 on third down in the previous game against Minnesota. Are opposing defenses beginning to figure out how to stop the offense? Getting Bryant and Prescott going again is one way of fixing that problem. Things won't get easier next week against Tampa Bay and the following week against Detroit.

5. Sean Lee was a monster

The Cowboys defense was impressive all night. As much as they've been the forgotten group this season, they've been very good the last two games. Lee was a monster Sunday night with a game-high 15 tackles. They also had takeaways! Three of them! For the first time since October they recorded a takeaway! Cedric Thornton and Lee with fumble recoveries and Anthony Brown with an interception. The defense also pitched a first-half shutout for the first time since Week 5. They played good enough for the Cowboys to win Sunday night.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think it's a combination of three things. Dak was not accurate tonight, the play designs are off, and Dez isn't a disciplined route runner.

I do think we win the game if Romo was playing and completely healthy.

That's not me saying to bench Dak for Romo so calm down. I just think this was the kind of game Romo makes a 4th quarter comeback. Dak never really got going. To me, he is best when he runs. It forces teams to spy him, which takes 1 man out of coverage or out of the pass rush.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think it's a combination of three things. Dak was not accurate tonight, the play designs are off, and Dez isn't a disciplined route runner.

I do think we win the game if Romo was playing and completely healthy.

That's not me saying to bench Dak for Romo so calm down. I just think this was the kind of game Romo makes a 4th quarter comeback. Dak never really got going. To me, he is best when he runs. It forces teams to spy him, which takes 1 man out of coverage or out of the pass rush.

You made the biggest statement regarding Dez which is his route running. A rookie quarterback is expecting you to be in a certain spot most of the time. A veteran is able to learn and know when you are making adjustments.

Tony and Dez have this ability. Dak and Dez aren't on that page to know Dez tendencies. They will eventually get on the same page

Reaction score
Better yet, get an actual NFL receiver, and get rid of the invisible in big games, mental midget Dez. He got pouty because the first couple of pass attempts his way weren't complete. He then stops hustling, thus not finishing his routes, disappears for most of the game, only reappearing to fuck up royally, and cost us the game when it was still winnable.

Michael Irvin did not pull the invisible man act like Dez. Hell, T.O. didn't either. Sick of this hot and cold shit with Dez. Just do your damn job that you are way overpaid to do.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I do think we win the game if Romo was playing and healthy

And when would that be? I don't even remember the last time Romo was completely healthy or not suffering from a broken bone or broken back

How many years ago are we talking? 3 or 4?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You made the biggest statement regarding Dez which is his route running. A rookie quarterback is expecting you to be in a certain spot most of the time. A veteran is able to learn and know when you are making adjustments.

Tony and Dez have this ability. Dak and Dez aren't on that page to know Dez tendencies. They will eventually get on the same page

I think it was The second INT that happened because Dez altered his rout for whatever reason. Dak delivered the ball to where Dez was "supposed to be"

Don't get me wrong, Dak made plenty of mistakes and didn't look like himself.

But for Dez to have 5 targets and have only 1 catch for 10 yards, then 2 INT and one lost fumble, and once again a bobbled ball (like he has EVERY SINGLE FUCKNG GAME) at the end of the game that would have got us the first down to keep the drive alive and give us a shot to tie the game with a FG is absolutely unacceptable

Shit, having our #1 receiver who claims to be a top 5 receiver held to one catch for ten yards AGAIN is unacceptable

Dez allows himself to become a non factor more often than not and that is unacceptable. 6 TD's on the entire season is unacceptable for our #1 receiver. Hell he doesn't even lead our team in receptions or yards

I know it's Jerry and pretty much every Cowboy fans dream to have a modern day version of the triplets. The only way that happens is if we replace Dez

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He's healthy right now but don't let that impact your extremely jaded take.

Stephen A. Smith would be proud of your debate skills.

If Dak needs the idea of Romo playing to get him back on track, I'll gladly take it. Dak is the future, on that we agree. Your disrespect and narrow mindedness on what Romo has done here is ridiculous.

Reaction score
It's almost like Romo did something extremely hypersexual to this dude's daughter and wife. Which is totally possible assuming they're somewhat attractive.

Also, Romo broke some bones.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think it was The second INT that happened because Dez altered his rout for whatever reason. Dak delivered the ball to where Dez was "supposed to be"

Don't get me wrong, Dak made plenty of mistakes and didn't look like himself.

But for Dez to have 4 targets and have only 1 catch for 10 yards, then 2 INT and one lost fumble on the remaining three targets to him is unacceptable

Shit, having our #1 receiver who claims to be a top 5 receiver held to one catch for ten yards AGAIN is unacceptable

Dez allows himself to become a non factor more often than not and that is unacceptable. 6 TD's on the entire season is unacceptable for our #1 receiver. Hell he doesn't even lead our team in receptions or yards

I know it's Jerry and pretty much every Cowboy fans dream to have a modern day version of the triplets. The only way that happens is if we replace Dez

Agree. He changed his route

Reaction score
Also, Romo broke some bones.

So you demonstrate your opinion that Scot is hung up on "Romo broke some bones" by being even more hung up on "Romo broke some bones". You aren't helping your cause, just looking like a hypocrite.

Reaction score
But in all seriousness did anyone else know that NFL players get injured? Cuz I didn't until last night. Enlightening shit. This is why we internet, folks.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dez has a total of 2 receptions for 18 yards combined in BOTH games vs the Giants this season

Pitiful and embarrassing for a 2nd or 3rd receiver

Inexcusable for a #1 receiver who was once considered a top receiver in the league

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The offense was in 3rd and long constantly last night. Also Dunbar who I consider a waste of a roster space was on the field far too often in 3rd and long. Dunbar must have photos of Jerry and a goat.

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dunbar who I consider a wasted of a roster space was on the field far too often in 3rd and long.

thats the strangest thing to me, especially when he's on the field instead of Zeke for all of the last 4 plays of the game

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Dez definitely needs to step his game up several notches... and Dak simply had a bad game, hopefully not something that happens often. However, it is nice to finally have a good quality backup.

And I still want Jason Garrett out as head coach.

Praxit

Spectator
Reaction score
..Dak, simply had bad game.

..the more I look back on the night. He could not get in the groove. Threw bad balls, pocket awareness was off, looked a bit rattled and confused.

The cold didnt help either. Yet, we only lost by 3. Good game.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Never underestimate the effect cold has on a quarterback's hands. Eli wasn't any too sharp either. This was a game where you really did need to just mash 'em up front and run the ball. We didn't see Morris at all, why? If you don't like giving Zeke too many carries, that's what Morris is for. He should have had 20 carries himself, added to Zeke's 24, and 17 pass attempts for Dak not 37.

It was the weather, stupid.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Good game.
It was not a good game. It was a crap game. We had NO business throwing 37 times. Morris never sees the field? It seemed like we left our best game planning on the filmroom floor.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
..the more I look back on the night. He could not get in the groove. Threw bad balls, pocket awareness was off, looked a bit rattled and confused.

The cold didnt help either. Yet, we only lost by 3. Good game.

I agree

It seems though it might be a small trend though the last few weeks with last night being the worst

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And I still want Jason Garrett out as head coach.

For the record I want this too but he could lose every game from here on out this year and it aint happenin. Gonna take a lot to get him photo shopped from the Jones family photo I am sorry to say.

Top Bottom