cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No. I dont want to trade next year's first

I never want to. Short of acquiring a once-in-a-decade sure thing like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, never ever give up next year's one.

Also, someone, maybe Broaddus, was saying one of Jerry's biggest pet peeves is having to sit out the 1st round and will not put himself in that position again.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I never want to. Short of acquiring a once-in-a-decade sure thing like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, never ever give up next year's one.

Also, someone, maybe Broaddus, was saying one of Jerry's biggest pet peeves is having to sit out the 1st round and will not put himself in that position again.

I normally wouldn't be an advocate for it either, but with what we need and whats available in this 2nd rd tonight, they can greatly improve the DL now, rather than having to wait.

Put it another way. What if they come out of this draft with one DL pick from tonight and maybe one from tomorrow that pans out. What are we likely drafting in the first round next year? Unless Romo's back blows up, it'd almost assuredly be a DL. So why wait till next yr to get it if you can get that player and start using him now?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Because you have no idea where that #1 will be next year. We aren't the 49ers. A lot of things are going to have to go perfect for us to compete. Garrett will have suddenly learn how to coach. Marinelli will have to be the miracle worker so many want to anoint him. Tony Romo will have to stay healthy and have similar numbers from last year and 2011 (31 TD's to 10 INT's).

Do you think Washington thought for one second that they'd be giving up the 2nd pick in the draft? It's just not a risk I would be willing to take.

Reaction score
I'm with db in theory and cmd in practice. Like yesterday if we could have given a 1 to move back up and get Clintondix, yeah I'm in. Today? Probably not.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Because you have no idea where that #1 will be next year. We aren't the 49ers. A lot of things are going to have to go perfect for us to compete. Garrett will have suddenly learn how to coach. Marinelli will have to be the miracle worker so many want to anoint him. Tony Romo will have to stay healthy and have similar numbers from last year and 2011 (31 TD's to 10 INT's).

Do you think Washington thought for one second that they'd be giving up the 2nd pick in the draft? It's just not a risk I would be willing to take.

We have more good players than Washington did when they made that trade.

We've had two years of train wreck injuries, we're bound to stay healthier one of these years. If they can go 8-8 each of the last 3 yrs with what they've had then having a healthy yr with a defense that is average will net a 10+ win season.

Reaction score
Lawrence, Ealy, Jernigan are all likely gone before 47 leaving us with the likes of Crichton.

Top Bottom