dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...as-cowboys-pre-draft-visitor-list-2018-rumors

To date, these are the players we know the Cowboys have invited for an official Top 30 visit (ranking taken from Dane Brugler's latest top 100 big board):

Unit..............Player Position School.......................Proj. Round/Brugler Rank
DL
.............Harold Landry DE Boston College...........................1/13
......................Vita Vea DT Washington.................................1/27
................Taven Bryan DT Florida........................................1/29
.............Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama..................................1-2/33
...................Arden Key DE LSU..........................................2-3/68
.........Breeland Speaks DE Mississippi...............................3-4/- -

WR
...............Calvin Ridley WR Alabama...................................1/11
..................D.J. Moore WR Maryland...................................1/14
.....James Washington WR Oklahoma State......................2-3/65
........Antonio Callaway WR Florida.....................................4-5/- -
........Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa..........................5-6/- -

OL
............James Daniels OC Iowa.........................................1/17
........Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame..............................1/28
............Kolton Miller OG/OT UCLA...................................3-4/94
.............Cole Madison OG Washington State.....................5/- -
.....Desmond Harrison OT West Georgia...........................6-7/- -

LB
.........Rashaan Evans LB Alabama...................................1/25
Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise State..............................1/26
..........Darius Leonard LB South Carolina State.............3-4/100

Others
...........Nyheim Hines RB North Carolina State................3/79
.........Terrell Edmunds S Virginia Tech.............................3/90

LOCAL PROSPECTS INVITED FOR “DALLAS DAY”

............Player Position School.................Proj. Rd./Rank.....................High school
........Connor Williams OT Texas......................1/24..........................Coppell, Texas
............DeShon Elliott S Texas.....................4-5/149...................Rockwell-Heath, Texas
..............Trey Quinn WR SMU........................5/161...........A.M. Barbe, Lake Charles, Louisiana
........Chris Warren III RB Texas...................7-FA/306......................Rockwall, Texas
.................Jason Hall S Texas........................FA/-.................South Grand Prairie, Texas
............Quan Jones WR Baylor......................FA/-.........................Wylie East, Texas
.........Tejan Koroma OC BYU.........................FA/-................................Allen, Texas
.........Mason Gentry DT SMU.........................FA/-........................Plano West, Texas

Not quaified for 2018 draft
2017 UDFA Matt Davis QB SMU
2017 UDFA Dane Evans QB Tulsa
2017 UDFA Jerod Evans QB Virginia Tech
2017 UDFA Skyler Howard QB West Virginia
2017 UDFA Seth Russell QB Baylor

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I saw some blurbs saying Marinelli loved what he saw when he worked him out too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
but but...Zoner experts said Kolton Miller was a day 3 pick talent

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
but but...Zoner experts said Kolton Miller was a day 3 pick talent

I dont particularly like any of these guys at 19. If I had to pick one it would be Williams. Miller looks to have huge bust potential IMO, and with his tall, skinny build, he looks to be a LT only.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

This guy ran a 4.32 at his pro day. I wouldnt have a problem taking round 3 or after. Scouts say he actually has some ability. He isnt square peg (Byron Jones) being forced into round hole (safety). Even if he is, every pick after the first round is a crap shoot, at least athletically he has upside. I'd be curious about his Wonderlich. FS has to have instincts/ smarts.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
.Harold Landry DE Boston College...........................1/13
......................Vita Vea DT Washington.................................1/27
................Taven Bryan DT Florida........................................1/29
.............Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama...
............James Daniels OC Iowa.........................................1/17

As of today if I had to bet on it, I'd guess one of these five being the pick at 19. I want Vea but realistically with a gaping hole on the O Line Daniels makes the most sense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't realize till today that Miami DT Kendrick Norton is the son of former Cowboy LB Ken Norton.

Norton's kid is 6'3, 314lbs and regarded as a decent 1T prospect that could be had on day 3. Really long arms and large hands too. Interesting DT prospect if we don't address it earlier.

He had a good game vs Notre Dame and all world G Quenton Nelson.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There are several comparisons of Taven Bryan to JJ Watt from an athletic and effort standpoint.

Oh I dont doubt he is highly athletic for his size and can show signs of being dominant. I believe the knock on him is inconsistent motor and disapears at times. The fact that Marinelli likes him for me is a problem. First he has a tendency to like guys that dont amount to much, non difference making types. The other thing is I got a feeling this is his last year in Dallas and I think no matter what happens Richard is going to be DC in 2019. I'd be building a defense looking more toward what Richard likes and getting his imput.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I didn't realize till today that Miami DT Kendrick Norton is the son of former Cowboy LB Ken Norton.

Norton's kid is 6'3, 314lbs and regarded as a decent 1T prospect that could be had on day 3. Really long arms and large hands too. Interesting DT prospect if we don't address it earlier.

He had a good game vs Notre Dame and all world G Quenton Nelson.

Me neither. They also have a TE who got a knee injury and the scouts are talking up Chris Herndon. Probably a our 2nd round pick this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
As of today if I had to bet on it, I'd guess one of these five being the pick at 19. I want Vea but realistically with a gaping hole on the O Line Daniels makes the most sense.

If they draft Landry, it could be a sign that this might be Demarcus Lawrence's last year here. If Landry pans out, he could be a RDE and they could then move Taco to LDE, which seems like his best NFL fit to me.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If they draft Landry, it could be a sign that this might be Demarcus Lawrence's last year here. If Landry pans out, he could be a RDE and they could then move Taco to LDE, which seems like his best NFL fit to me.

Yep that has to be a factor. Landry plays a premium position and Lawrence is taking up 10% of the cap. Five years of Landry on a rookie deal is tempting.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I think LVE and Evans would have to be considered as well, especially LVE who they seem to be spending a lot of time on. Plus MLB is a massive hole today. If Roquan Smith falls far enough, could see them thinking about a move up for him too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like good news for Maurice Hurst. Wonder if we end up getting a visit with him now.

Report: Michigan DT Hurst not on recheck list
April 7, 2018 Draft, Hurst, Michigan Wolverines, NFL Combine, The Sports Xchange

No news is good news for Michigan defensive tackle Maurice Hurst.

The status of Hurst’s health continued to trend in a positive direction when he was not among the players listed for a medical recheck by the NFL, according to the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

Hurst, one of the top prospects at his position for the NFL Draft, was sent home from the NFL Combine in Indianapolis when irregularities in his heart were detected, putting his future in jeopardy.

However, the 6-foot-2, 282-pound Hurst subsequently received medical clearance to resume playing football and was allowed to participate fully in Michigan’s Pro Day last month.

Rapoport’s Twitter posting was further evidence that Hurst’s draft stock remains high.

“NFL Combine rechecks are next Thursday and Friday, and Michigan DL Maurice Hurst (heart issue) was not requested back for it, a good sign,” Rapoport wrote in his tweet. “Doesn’t mean he’ll be cleared by every team. But at the least, it’s a good sign for the player who was able to do his school’s pro day.”

Hurst was listed as the third-best defensive tackle and No. 21 overall prospect in the latest rankings by NFLDraftScout.com.

” … His talent and timing is obvious,” wrote NFLDraftScout.com analyst Rob Rang. “With today’s focus on the quick passing game in the NFL, ‘undersized’ defensive tackles who can collapse the pocket from the interior are much more valuable than in previous years.”

Hurst earned All-America honors and was a consensus first-team All-Big Ten selection for the Wolverines last season after racking up 59 tackles, including 13 for loss, and 5.5 sacks.

“Mo is fine,” Michigan assistant coach Greg Mattison said earlier last week, per 247ports.com. “Michigan would never play him if there was a chance (something was wrong). Mo is fine. I think the NFL knows that now too.”

Top Bottom