dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah heard the McClay thing. Will be interesting to see if he bolts if given the chance. In the past he has turned down potential opportunities elsewhere.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah heard the McClay thing. Will be interesting to see if he bolts if given the chance. In the past he has turned down potential opportunities elsewhere.

Yea this situation is a little different though in my opinion. In Houston he already has a young QB in place and good defense. He’d also have total control in Houston. I know he has kids going to school in Dallas but he’d only be a 30-45 min plane ride away. Houston is a serious threat to sign him in my opinion. This may be the point where Jerry will have to give up the GM title. Obviously Jerry would still have his decrepit hands all over the team but the actual title might have to go to McClay if they want to keep him.

Reaction score
Yea this situation is a little different though in my opinion. In Houston he already has a young QB in place and good defense. He’d also have total control in Houston. I know he has kids going to school in Dallas but he’d only be a 30-45 min plane ride away. Houston is a serious threat to sign him in my opinion. This may be the point where Jerry will have to give up the GM title. Obviously Jerry would still have his decrepit hands all over the team but the actual title might have to go to McClay if they want to keep him.

Jerry will never give up the GM's job. That is his baby and spotlight. He doesn't give a shit about Will McClay.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry will never give up the GM's job. That is his baby and spotlight. He doesn't give a shit about Will McClay.

I agree he won't give up the GM title, and even if he did I suspect it'd be just a b/s move on his part.

That said, while he might give a crap about McClay I think Stevie and Garrett do, so I wonder what would happen if he gets this opportunity to leave.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I’m saying the title only, I don’t think any of their jobs would change. But I do agree, Jerry’s ego would never allow him to give up the title of GM. That’s why I think it’s extremely likely that McClay is gone.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

He'll probably go before our pick and if he didn't, taking him would be a little overkill for the OL but it would give us unquestionably the best interior OL in the game, and when Tyron Smith is healthy by far the most dominant OL in the league.

Nelson might duplicate what Martin did as a rookie and be a legit all pro his 1st yr. definitely one of the best players in the draft regardless of position.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not stack the line? Gives you a plan b on future contracts of current players and also is an asset. not so valuable at guard but now they have breathing room on overpaying a guy like collins when hes due. If you cant run or give dak a perfect pocket, we aint scoring.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
draft-board.png

link to google docs page that will be updated throughout:
Marcus Mosher 2018 Draft Board - Google Sheets

wow that came out small...

its marcus mosher's draft board. it takes him 1 day to scout 1 player. mosher is on twitter and he covered the cowboys for bleacher report this past season. these are his results as we make it through the draft season:

D.J. Moore, WR (Maryland)
Projected Round 1-2
Stefon Diggs 2.0. Strong. Hands-catcher. Can play both in the slot and outside. Explosive out of his cuts.

Vita Vea, DT (Washington)
Projected Round 1
Strongest DT in years. Short-arms. Can he play on third down and in tighter spaces?

Quenton Nelson, OG (Notre Dame)
Projected Round 1
Best guard I've ever watched. Has no weakness. Massive size and technically sound. Never over-extends.

Roquan Smith, LB (Georgia)
Projected Round 1
Aggressive player. Can run from sideline to sideline. Excellent eyes. Nothing he can't do.

James Washington, WR (Oklahoma State)
Projected Round 2-3
Ball sticks to hands. Thick lower body. He can run slants all day and no one could stop him. Doesn't have elite speed. Can have some concentration drops at times. How many different routes can he run? Super-productive. Plan on re-watching him.

Saquon Barkley, RB (Penn State)
Projected Round 1
Very few flaws in his game. Can make defenders miss with ease. Doesn't always run with a ton with power. Can play in any scheme.

Auden Tate, WR (Florida State)
Projected Round 2-3
Big, rangy WR who can win above his head. Flexibile. Doesn't create a ton of separation. Doesn't always finish through contact. Probably going to need a few years in the NFL to learn the league's route tree.

Courtland Sutton, WR (SMU)
Projected Round 2-3
Massive WR who isn't stiff. Tough to bring down in one-on-one situations. How flexible is he? Don't see him sink his hips very often on routes. Limited route tree. Can he win versus press? Has some concentration drops. Good, not great athlete. Probably a year away from being a year away.

Last edited:

foolforspeed

Spectator
Reaction score
Huh? Del Rio left Dallas after the '91 season and wasn't on the #1 rated '92 defensive squad.
You're right, my bad. I was thinking he was from the glory days of Tom Landry. Still a very good DC + ex-Cowboy.
How about Romo for OC also?
Never mind I'll go back to dreaming about winning the lottery

Reaction score
I’m saying the title only, I don’t think any of their jobs would change. But I do agree, Jerry’s ego would never allow him to give up the title of GM. That’s why I think it’s extremely likely that McClay is gone.

Well, that's possible. Depends on McClay and his needs. I mean if the Jones's paid him enough and his personality is suitable to that position/role he might decide that the low expectations of the Cowboy FO combined with job security and money...its worth staying.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
How about Romo for OC also?
Doesn't have the quals. If he wants to get into coaching he's better off starting as a QB coach, at first even to see if it's his thing. From his playing days and from his commentary in the booth, he hasn't shown to have any real core philosophy of offense, other than what he terms as "vertical passing." He thinks interceptions "are as good as punts" and with what we've seen about his thinking, I really don't want him coaching any QB I want to see win.
Still a very good DC + ex-Cowboy.
Ha. He was only a Cowboy because we picked him up after he was cut from KC in '89 when Jimmy was giving tryouts to the cheerleaders at that point. He'd lost his starting job in Nawlins and was traded to the Chiefs, who later cut him. Jimmy was able to work him into a productive Mike linebacker though. The Vikings signed him after we left him exposed in the old Plan B free agency thing, getting a small measure of revenge I suppose on the Walker trade. Del Rio led them in tackles for three seasons.

Top Bottom