Reaction score
Here's a look at those five quarterbacks:

1. Paxton Lynch, Memphis
Projected round: 1st

Size: 6-7, 245 pounds

Class: Junior

Stats: 271 for 392 (69.1 percent), 3,448 yards, 21 touchdowns, three interceptions

Note from CBS draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang: "With continued development, Lynch could be this year's version of Blake Bortles if he declares for the draft - a prospect from the non-Power 5 conferences who checks a lot of boxes for NFL evaluators in an average quarterback class."

2. Jared Goff, California

Size: 6-4, 215 pounds

Stats: 286 for 441 (64.9 percent), 3,170 yards, 32 touchdowns, 13 interceptions

Note from CBS draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang: "Goff has a snappy over-the-top release and isn't afraid to zip the ball through tight windows, typically leading his receivers away from danger. He possesses enough arm strength to complete deep outs to the opposite sideline and shows good touch down the seam."

3. Connor Cook, Michigan State

Size: 6-4, 220 pounds

Class: Redshirt senior

Stats: 175 for 311 (56.3 percent), 2,482 yards, 21 touchdowns, four interceptions

Note from CBS draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang: "While he has his flaws, Cook shows a number of reasons to be encouraged about his potential in the NFL. Bottom line with Cook, he has the physical traits ideally suited for the pro game with tape that shows off a number of NFL throws."

4. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State
Projected round: 2nd

Size: 6-4, 236 pounds

Stats: 162 for 306 (52.9 percent), 2,129 yards, 14 touchdowns, three interceptions.

Note from CBS draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang: "Hackenberg has special arm talent as the ball jumps off his hand and zips through the air with effortless motion. Drives through his hips to put velocity on throws."

5. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State
Projected round: 2nd

Size: 6-5, 231 pounds

Class: Senior

Stats: 114 for 179, 1,454 yards, 16 touchdowns, two interceptions.

Note from CBS draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang: "The top FCS quarterback in the country, Wentz has the skill-set to potentially be one of the top-five senior quarterbacks in the 2016 class and mid-round draft pick. Wentz has a number of bad habits that need ironed out, but he is in the Mike Glennon mold with skills worth developing."

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No matter who we pick (if we pick a QB), this coaching staff is incapable of developing him. Of that I am absolutely certain. If we pick a QB high in draft, it should be with a new HC who has some say in that QB and has the ability to develop him. Of course, Red will still be here so the next HC will have to deal with a potential high draft pick and be tasked with developing a guy he may not have wanted. This cycle of stupidity and failure will continue.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think anyone from this class is really going to be that good. I happen to have seen Goff play Texas and he might be good, but he didn't hit me as an NFL star. Is lynch really that good or does he get extra credit for his size? Saw the game where they beat Ole miss and he didn't stand out to me. Last year or two years ago I thought Hackenberg could be a franchise guy but he regressed this year, and aren't there questions about his teammates not liking him?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here's who they play this week.

1. Paxton Lynch, Memphis - Saturday vs SMU at 11 AM CT (ESPN)

2. Jared Goff, California - Saturday vs Arizona State 9 PM CT (Fox Sports 1)

3. Connor Cook, Michigan State - Saturday vs Penn State 2:30 PM CT (ESPN)

4. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State - Saturday vs Michigan State 2:30 PM CT (ESPN)

5. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State - He's out for the year. He's hoping to be back by Senior Bowl, January 30th.

Michigan State-Penn State game is a 2-for-1.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Goff is the more NFL ready. I really like Lynch though. He reminds me of a more athletic Roethlisberger.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
We are either gonna need someone in an Iron Man suit or a Spanish Bull Fighter like Romo to play behind that line of ours. So out of the bunch listed here, Lynch would be the only one to grab from the entire bunch. On another note, we would play this crappy the year when every QB coming out is about what you'd pick up in the 4th round normally.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We are either gonna need someone in an Iron Man suit or a Spanish Bull Fighter like Romo to play behind that line of ours. So out of the bunch listed here, Lynch would be the only one to grab from the entire bunch. On another note, we would play this crappy the year when every QB coming out is about what you'd pick up in the 4th round normally.

I don't think this QB group is any worse than it has over the past 10 years.

It sucks pretty much every year. One or two top guys, one of which will flame out, then about two or three others, one of which might be okay as an average starter.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hackenberg has GREAT tools but lacks discipline and gets dumb when pressured. He needs to be coached up and we have Wade Wilson and Jason Garrett, soooo no.

In other words, forget the draft and hope some smart vet who already knows the game gets let go for salary cap reasons.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Goff is impressive. Someone said he moves his feet in the pocket like Peyton Manning. That is what I found interesting.

Has the arm, fundamentals; seems to have the intangibles too. I would love that as our 1st round pick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I'd be more interested in seeing him drop back and make some throws downfield on time or into tight windows.

I'll do some digging later.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Goff and Lynch have that "it" factor and won't be held back by crappy coaching.

I dont want any potential franchise QB being ahndicapped by our sorry shit staff.

They might have all the talent in the world but if they never grasp the mental part of the game, they will never fully develop. Look at Romo now, been in the league since 2003 and still throws balls into double/triple coverage.

Top Bottom