Cythim

Reaction score
I was expecting a beating... even after beating OU and NU this year we were still the 5th best team in the Big 12. I would have preferred playing in the Alamo or Holiday Bowl where we would've had a better chance of winning.

C

Cr122

Ramon Buchanan given suspension
Updated: March 22, 2011, 3:38 PM ET

ESPN.com news services
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami linebacker Ramon Buchanan is facing felony counts of resisting arrest and battery after allegedly spitting on and attempting to head butt a police officer, as well as three misdemeanor charges following an incident last week.

He has been suspended indefinitely by Hurricanes coach Al Golden, and was not on the team's latest depth chart released Tuesday.

Police said Buchanan, 21, caused a disturbance in a restaurant bathroom in the Coconut Grove section of Miami around 1:30 a.m. Friday. According to the police report, he was told to leave three times before being placed under arrest. Police said he "tensed his arms to evade arrest," then charged at officers and spat on one's palm before ultimately being placed on the ground.

"I'm a U.M. football player and I don't give a f--- what you do," Buchanan allegedly said, according to the police report. "I'll get out of it. F--- the police."

The Palm Beach Post first reported the suspension.

The charges against Buchanan were filed in Miami-Dade County Court on Friday. Buchanan was released pending an April 18 hearing.

"We are aware of Ramon's situation and we are disappointed," Golden said in a statement released by the university. "This is out of character for a young man who has been a positive influence in our program. He is contrite and apologetic for the situation and is currently taking the appropriate actions towards resolution."

Court records show Buchanan also faces misdemeanor charges of trespassing, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest without violence.

Buchanan had 54 tackles in 13 games for Miami last season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

C

Cr122

LB Brandon Maye transfers to Miss. St
Updated: March 21, 2011, 11:53 PM ET

Associated Press
STARKVILLE, Miss. -- Clemson linebacker Brandon Maye says he will transfer to Mississippi State to play his final season.

A three-year starter at Clemson, Maye says he is transferring to be closer to his home in Mobile, Ala., and also to enroll in Mississippi State's sports administration graduate program. Maye is expected to complete his undergraduate degree in sociology in May.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound senior says he will ask the NCAA to waive a one-year residency requirement because he is enrolling in a graduate program. If he is eligible, Maye could immediately help a Bulldogs' defense that is trying to replace all three starters from last season.

Maye made 43 tackles last season for the Tigers.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

C

Cr122

Updated: March 21, 2011, 3:14 PM ET
Wisconsin's Nick Toon out for spring

By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com

Wisconsin wide receiver Nick Toon will sit out spring practice after underdoing offseason foot surgery.

Toon ranked second on the team overall and led all Badgers receivers with 36 receptions for 459 yards and three touchdowns. He missed three games with turf toe but earned honorable mention All-Big Ten honors.

A two-year starter who will enter his senior year this fall, Toon is expected to return for preseason camp.

Wisconsin opens spring practice on Tuesday.

Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at espnritt@gmail.com

C

Cr122

Updated: March 22, 2011, 3:09 PM ET
Marc Tyler pulls hamstring in practice

By Pedro Moura
ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- University of Southern California starting running back Marc Tyler pulled his right hamstring Tuesday on the first day of USC's spring practice and could be out for an extended period of time.

Tyler pulled up lame while running a pass route out to the north sideline on USC's Cromwell Field and was immediately treated by the Trojans training staff. He appeared to be in severe discomfort and sat out the rest of the session.

More On USC

For more news and notes on the Trojans, check out ESPNLosAngeles.com's blog. Blog

"His hamstring bothered him late in practice," Trojans coach Lane Kiffin said afterward. "He just pulled his hamstring. We don't know how severe it is yet."

Tyler, a redshirt senior, has been limited by injuries in the past. He missed games in 2008 because of a hip injury and missed almost the entire 2009 season with a toe sprain that required surgery. In 2010, he nursed an ankle sprain in midseason but led the Trojans with 913 yards on 171 carries. He had 10 total touchdowns on the year, with his best games coming in the season opener against Hawaii and in back-to-back November games against Arizona and Arizona State.

Behind Tyler in the running back rotation are sophomore Dillon Baxter and redshirt freshman D.J. Morgan, as well as junior Curtis McNeal, who was academically ineligible all of last season. Morgan, recovering from a knee injury that sidelined him for most of last season, broke off two big runs during Tuesday's opener.

Pedro Moura covers USC for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

C

Cr122

Updated: March 21, 2011, 2:20 PM ET
Injuries will impact USC practice

By Mark Saxon
ESPNLosAngeles.com
Archive
LOS ANGELES -- USC opens spring football Tuesday with a rash of injuries that could hinder what the second-year coaching staff is hoping to accomplish, coach Lane Kiffin said Monday.

The Trojans already had a diminished roster due to NCAA sanctions and Kiffin said 20 players have yet to be cleared by doctors for full contact.

"It was just a very unusual amount of offseason surgeries and injuries, unfortunately," Kiffin said.

More On USC

For more news and notes on the Trojans, check out ESPNLosAngeles.com's blog. Blog

The offensive and defensive lines and the linebacking position are particularly impacted. Starting guard Khaled Holmes (neck stingers) and potential starters Kevin Graf (shoulder) and Abe Markowitz (foot) have yet to be cleared to practice, as have key linebackers Chris Galippo (lower back), Devon Kennard (hip surgery) and Shane Horton (hip injury).

Also, Kiffin said, defensive linemen Armond Armstead (undisclosed illness), Wes Horton (foot) and Christian Tupou (knee surgery) won't be available at the start of practices. Neither will second-year receiver Kyle Prater (foot), who is in the mix for a starting spot opposite Robert Woods.

Kiffin expects the Trojans to practice in 7-on-7 drills instead of full-squad scrimmages much of the spring due to the injuries.

The lack of experience on the offensive line is of particular concern to Kiffin. Senior center Kristofer O'Dowd and junior tackle Tyron Smith are moving on to the NFL, while center Michael Reardon decided to retire early.

"That's a gigantic issue, the offensive line," Kiffin said. "It's important for anybody, but especially a team built on running the ball. We lose a center who has played a ton of games here, a starting guard who went into private business and a starting right tackle who, I think, is going to be a first-round pick. That's a lot to replace."

Mark Saxon covers USC for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Follow Mark Saxon on Twitter: @markasaxon

C

Cr122

Updated: March 22, 2011, 5:20 PM ET
Armond Armstead awaiting test results

By Pedro Moura
ESPNLosAngeles.com

USC senior defensive end Armond Armstead spent five days at the USC University Hospital earlier this month, but little information was provided at the time about the "unspecified medical condition" that USC announced as the reason for his hospitalization.

Tuesday, he provided some context as to what exactly happened that led him to the hospital and what kept him there, and what's continuing to keep him out of spring practice.

More On USC

"I was having some chest pains, so that's what caused me to go initially," Armstead said after Tuesday's practice, during which he stood on the sidelines in uniform but did not participate. "I'd been sick for a couple weeks -- it was an ongoing thing. I was coordinating with the trainers and the staff and then going to see the doctors, trying to figure out what was going on."

Armstead, 20, is expected to start at defensive end for the Trojans in 2011 after starting there for much of the last two seasons. But he's being held out of spring practice until he and the USC athletic department hear back from the doctors on the case.

The earliest any word will come on whether or not he'll be cleared to play, Armstead said, is April 1, when he's scheduled for an appointment with the doctors who worked with him earlier this month.

"We're still getting stuff back in," USC coach Lane Kiffin said Tuesday. "Some tests have not come back, so we're holding him out in the meantime."

Armstead said much of the time he spent in the hospital was spent on blood testing. Once he was released from the hospital on March 9, he said, he felt back to normal.

"I feel fine now, that's the thing," Armstead said. "As soon as I got out of the hospital I was just at home chilling with my family and I felt great. I wanted to move the appointment up with the doctors to see if I could get the results sooner but the tests haven't come back yet."

He has been fairly injury-prone at USC, but he stressed that the chest pains had nothing to do with any football-related injuries and were instead caused by sickness. Armstead, who chose not to declare early for the NFL draft, also said he was doing his best to take a positive approach to what could be a serious long-term issue.

"Yeah, of course, because it's chest-related, but I'm just being very careful and hoping for the best," Armstead said. "You can't say what it is until the doctors tell you what's going on."

Pedro Moura covers USC for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

C

Cr122

Updated: March 23, 2011, 2:10 PM ET
Report links workout, muscle disorder

By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com

A strenuous squat-lifting workout was the primary cause of 13 Iowa football players being hospitalized with a muscle disorder in January, a university investigation has concluded.

The investigation found the hospitalized players weren't responsible for their injuries and that the condition was not linked to use of drugs or supplements, according to the Des Moines Register, which obtained a copy of the report.

University of Iowa president Sally Mason was expected to formally present the results of the investigation Wednesday at a Board of Regents meeting.

The investigation, conducted by a five-person committee, found that the school's strength and conditioning staff did not intend to punish players during the Jan. 20 workout, which had been conducted successfully twice before but not after a three-week break from athletic activities.

The strength staff did reference close losses from the 2010 season and said the workouts would determine "who wants to be there."

The players were hospitalized after some of them complained to medical staff after the workout. Their symptoms included soreness throughout the body and tea-colored urine.

They were diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a stress-induced syndrome that can damage cells and cause kidney damage. The 13 players were hospitalized starting Jan. 24-25, and all were released by Jan. 31.

According to the report obtained by the Register, the committee recommended that the football team should abandon the workout. Coach Kirk Ferentz previously has said the workout would no longer be used.

Other recommendations included testing for all players when a few develop symptoms from a workout, and finding better ways to determine potential complications from specific workouts.

"Interviews with the strength and conditioning coaches revealed that their intent for the workout was to put the team through a tough challenge that would strengthen their confidence," the report said. "The strength and conditioning coaches were aware of heat injury and dehydration, but they did not know about rhabdomyolysis until the cluster [of 13 players] occurred."

The strength and conditioning staff had met with players Jan. 18 and "stressed the importance of the upcoming workouts."

Iowa's report emphasized the need for better communication between players, strength coaches, athletic trainers and team doctors. A timeline included in the report shows three instances where players had discolored urine -- a primary symptom of rhabdomyolysis -- but didn't report it to staff.

It was only after a trainer found a player to have high blood pressure on Jan. 24 that the initial rhabdomyolysis diagnosis was made.

Players' parents interviewed by the investigators criticized Iowa's football coaches for poor communication about the situation. According to the report, "Some parents expressed anger and distrust as a result of this event and suggested that some of the coaches should have been suspended until the investigation was complete."

Iowa opens spring football practice Wednesday. Ferentz said all 13 players have been medically cleared to participate.

Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at espnritt@gmail.com

C

Cr122

They were diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a stress-induced syndrome that can damage cells and cause kidney damage. The 13 players were hospitalized starting Jan. 24-25, and all were released by Jan. 31.

Holy shit is that it?

Top Bottom