dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's a win, wasn't overly impressive (other than D Lawrence and Collins maybe) but it was a W and it was sorely needed after the ugly beatdown we got last week. Started off as the same kind of ho-hum get our asses kicked type of game as last week but after 5 straight quarters of horrendous defense, the last 3 quarters last night had some good moments.

1) I'm starting with the Red Headed Clapping Boob, as he is by far the worst part of the franchise now. Like I mentioned during the game last night, at some point a coach has to get mad. You cant stand there and watch your probowl laden OL get whipped play after play after play and not go get into someone's face. I don't think any ONE particular guy up front should have been singled out, but as a group Garrett and the OL coach need to be getting a strong message across. They got whipped badly last week, and other than 4 or 5 run plays last night got whipped badly again this week. Zeke had 50 yards on 2 carries. The rest of the game he had a grand total of 30 yards on 20 carries and was thrown for numerous no gains and losses. There's no excuse for it. Chaz Green is not as good as Leary and Lael Collins from a technical standpoint is not as good as Free, but the other 3 guys are franchise caliber OL and the line play sux. Come on Red Clown, go fuck somebody up on the sideline. Also another game where we run out of the tunnel and get bitch slapped from inception, 3rd real game out of last 4 that has happened. Just a true sign of a poorly prepared and poorly motivated team.

2) As a continuation of above, 9 more penalties last night and many of them were pre-snap penalties. One drive on defense we had 3 or 4 penalties alone, including an atrocious PI by Scandrick who just mauled a guy for no reason, as Heath was in perfect position to pick the ball off. More reflection on how awful a HC Garrett is.

3) Demarcus Lawrence is making himself a mint so far this year. Completely different player now that his back is healthy, showing tremendous bend, power and quickness. 3 sacks last night and a 4th negated by a penalty. Absolutely owned their starting RT. Pretty dominant effort from Maliek Collins as well. Once Irving returns after the Rams game, our DL might not be in bad shape at all. After getting run over by Broncos run game last week, the run D looked more like the week one game vs NYG, holding Cards to 49 yds on 21 carries and no run longer than 6 yds. 6 sacks as a team, cant remember last time we saw that. After Palmer had a ridiculous 12/13 start and was shredding us all over the place, he was only 17/35 after that and was hit a ton.

4) Pretty gritty effort from Prescott, who didn't have a ton of help. The OL as I mentioned above was pretty bad again, and the run game wasn't there other than 4 or 5 plays. Receivers weren't getting open much. So he made some plays with his legs, got outside the pocket and threw a couple of really nice balls to Brice Butler that made a difference in the game. His TD run was also really well done.

5) Speaking of Butler, the enigma continues with him. Has the looks of a really frontline #2 guy sometimes with his size, speed and penchant for acrobatic catches. But also has too many drops (although none last night IIRC) and some dumb penalties. Two great plays last night on long Prescott throws.

6) Sean Lee and Jourdan Lewis both hurt during the game last night (both with the dreaded hamstring injuries). Definitely a huge concern for us with a short week to prepare. Lewis looked like by far our best CB last night, and Lee bounced back from a rare (extremely rare actually) bad game last week with a pretty solid game last night. We have zero depth at LB and CB right now.

7) In addition to Lewis, I thought Xavier Woods had a good game and seemed to be all over the field. Also was nice to finally see what Ryan Switzer as a returner could do, got a few chances and showed some good return skill. 21 yd return set up our 1st TD.

8) Bruce Arians seemed to channel some Jason Garrett-like coaching decision fuckups last night. Some of Red Boob's ignorance must have rubbed off on him during the pregame chat.

Not going to get overly excited, it was an unimpressive win and team still has a ton of improvement they need to make. The rushing game is inexplicably bad and has to be fixed if we are going to make any sort of legit playoff run.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Typical unprepared Garrett team to start the game. This team has under achieved every season he has been the HC. Even the 12-4 and 13-3 seasons they under achieved in the post season. He really does suck.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It is not a coincidence as to why puppet and pussy but have the same first two letters, and followed by double letters.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a win, wasn't overly impressive (other than D Lawrence and Collins maybe) but it was a W and it was sorely needed after the ugly beatdown we got last week. Started off as the same kind of ho-hum get our asses kicked type of game as last week but after 5 straight quarters of horrendous defense, the last 3 quarters last night had some good moments.

1) I'm starting with the Red Headed Clapping Boob, as he is by far the worst part of the franchise now. Like I mentioned during the game last night, at some point a coach has to get mad. You cant stand there and watch your probowl laden OL get whipped play after play after play and not go get into someone's face. I don't think any ONE particular guy up front should have been singled out, but as a group Garrett and the OL coach need to be getting a strong message across. They got whipped badly last week, and other than 4 or 5 run plays last night got whipped badly again this week. Zeke had 50 yards on 2 carries. The rest of the game he had a grand total of 30 yards on 20 carries and was thrown for numerous no gains and losses. There's no excuse for it. Chaz Green is not as good as Leary and Lael Collins from a technical standpoint is not as good as Free, but the other 3 guys are franchise caliber OL and the line play sux. Come on Red Clown, go fuck somebody up on the sideline. Also another game where we run out of the tunnel and get bitch slapped from inception, 3rd real game out of last 4 that has happened. Just a true sign of a poorly prepared and poorly motivated team.

2) As a continuation of above, 9 more penalties last night and many of them were pre-snap penalties. One drive on defense we had 3 or 4 penalties alone, including an atrocious PI by Scandrick who just mauled a guy for no reason, as Heath was in perfect position to pick the ball off. More reflection on how awful a HC Garrett is.

there's only 1 good coach in the nfl now and that's belichik. everyone else sucks. at least its a somewhat level playing field for coaching. arians is a fucking idiot too.

3) Demarcus Lawrence is making himself a mint so far this year. Completely different player now that his back is healthy, showing tremendous bend, power and quickness. 3 sacks last night and a 4th negated by a penalty. Absolutely owned their starting RT. Pretty dominant effort from Maliek Collins as well. Once Irving returns after the Rams game, our DL might not be in bad shape at all. After getting run over by Broncos run game last week, the run D looked more like the week one game vs NYG, holding Cards to 49 yds on 21 carries and no run longer than 6 yds. 6 sacks as a team, cant remember last time we saw that. After Palmer had a ridiculous 12/13 start and was shredding us all over the place, he was only 17/35 after that and was hit a ton.

marinelli has created a monster. watch out for that back though.

4) Pretty gritty effort from Prescott, who didn't have a ton of help. The OL as I mentioned above was pretty bad again, and the run game wasn't there other than 4 or 5 plays. Receivers weren't getting open much. So he made some plays with his legs, got outside the pocket and threw a couple of really nice balls to Brice Butler that made a difference in the game. His TD run was also really well done.

that td run def got me pumped up. pretty cool moment.

5) Speaking of Butler, the enigma continues with him. Has the looks of a really frontline #2 guy sometimes with his size, speed and penchant for acrobatic catches. But also has too many drops (although none last night IIRC) and some dumb penalties. Two great plays last night on long Prescott throws.

williams, beasley, switzer, butler, brown...do we really need dez at top 5 wr money?

6) Sean Lee and Jourdan Lewis both hurt during the game last night (both with the dreaded hamstring injuries). Definitely a huge concern for us with a short week to prepare. Lewis looked like by far our best CB last night, and Lee bounced back from a rare (extremely rare actually) bad game last week with a pretty solid game last night. We have zero depth at LB and CB right now.

7) In addition to Lewis, I thought Xavier Woods had a good game and seemed to be all over the field. Also was nice to finally see what Ryan Switzer as a returner could do, got a few chances and showed some good return skill. 21 yd return set up our 1st TD.

glad you mentioned woods because i agree. he was doing things that i kinda remember seeing from barry church, but woods is a lot faster. excited about lewis.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dudebair, you really allowed the phrase, "playoff run" to be posted under your name?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dudebair, you really allowed the phrase, "playoff run" to be posted under your name?

Well with RedBoob in charge, we know it almost assuredly wont be a "postseason" run.

I should have clarified and explained I meant just to make a run to get into the postseason.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Well with RedBoob in charge, we know it almost assuredly wont be a "postseason" run.

I should have clarified and explained I meant just to make a run to get into the postseason.
Maybe now I can get Jim Mora's infamous tirade out of my head.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Dez: 2 catches for 12 yards
Witten: 1 catch for 3 yards
Beasley: 1 catch for 4 yards
:facepalm

The big guys up front are still getting blown up more than I'd like. Collins and Smith completely whiffed on separate plays, leading to a sack and a big loss for Zeke. The good news is that Dak was much more accurate last night compared to recent weeks.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

The big guys up front are still getting blown up more than I'd like. Collins and Smith completely whiffed on separate plays, leading to a sack and a big loss for Zeke. The good news is that Dak was much more accurate last night compared to recent weeks.

More accurate out of the pocket and on the run.

We won the game because AZ's offense fell apart.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Did it fall apart because of our genius adjustments our genius coaches made?

I wish I had enough confidence in this staff to say it was the adjustment to the 3 man rush on the DL and 6 DB's. But I know their track record.

And Arians looked to have channeled his inner Red Clown at times.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

You skipped the two targets part. Yep not a misprint, two targets. One was the mind numbingly ill conceived, completely idiotic, screen which ended up a 3 yard loss. Even when his athleticism had not yet started to slip (which should be blatantly obvious to all by now), Dez wasnt a make you miss, throw him a screen and let magnificent athleticism beat would be tacklers type receiver. Now back to the two targets which was my main point: He is NOT getting open and Dak doesnt feel compelled to force it to him when he is not, which apparently was the other 60 snaps. As usual a good corner erased him. Time either for a pay cut or move on.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I wish I had enough confidence in this staff to say it was the adjustment to the 3 man rush on the DL and 6 DB's. But I know their track record.

And Arians looked to have channeled his inner Red Clown at times.

Arians has some kind of cancer I believe I read, so I'll give him a pass. As a dude and coach I kind of like him.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I still have no interest in locking up Lawrence but I'll give him some props. However he has faced three turn styles so far, the O Line play in the league in general is a C- at best.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
One was the mind numbingly ill conceived, completely idiotic, screen which ended up a 3 yard loss.
Yeah I lampooned that one, in the game thread. What a ridiculous idea that really only comes from the "it worked in practice" crap. Hey Ginger - if that stupid shit worked in practice it tells you all you need to know about your pathetic defense.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Two biggest plays of the game IMO were Daks TD run which they desperately needed at the time and then the penalty that took the TD off the board where AZ would have gone up 14-7, then their kicker blew the chip shot FG. Huge momentum swing there. Other observations: Jorudan Lewis looks like a possible difference maker on a defense that is desperate for one. Xavier Woods looks he'll develop too. OTOH Sean Lee looks like he lost a step the last couple weeks and he doesnt have a step lose. Taco, where are you?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh and one more thing: If it were up to me Byron Jones 5th year option doesnt get picked up. Epitomizes mediocrity. Doesnt shut down quality receivers, allergic to turnovers, and my grand mother tackles better.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh and one more thing: If it were up to me Byron Jones 5th year option doesnt get picked up. Epitomizes mediocrity. Doesnt shut down quality receivers, allergic to turnovers, and my grand mother tackles better.

Damn, I want to meet your grand mother

Top Bottom