dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I thought we'd lose this game going in, and after what we saw vs the Giants I think I had us winning 1 of the first 6, maybe 2. But we're 3-1 now and while I don't think we're a "good" team yet, I think we've made things interesting for a little while now.

1) Seems like a repeat every week to start off with, but the play of Prescott just continues to amaze me. I never dreamed he'd be like this. In fact I didn't think he'd be like this in two-three years, let alone NOW. Yesterday he did have a few poor throws, but the overall game was excellent again as he faced real adversity on the road and still stayed composed and led a solid comeback win. I still need to see more and will be very curious how he plays the next two weeks, but if we win at least one of the next two and he plays at a similar level against quality defenses like Cincy and GB, I think I'd have to be on the side of those that think he should just permanently replace Romo. Now he may struggle and we may lose (and potentially lose badly) both these games, making a decision to go back to Romo easy for the team. But if he doesn't struggle and we play well and manage to win one (or both) I think its going to be an agonizing decision for them for sure.

2) Yes people, Zeke Elliott is what most of us thought he was going to be. His last two games have been huge and despite the slow start vs NYG he's now on pace for over 1600 yds for the season. I still want to see him more involved in the passing game (I think Dunbar is a waste of time, see below) and he's so close to breaking really long runs. As the season wears on, I have very little doubt there's going to be some 50-60yd + gains.

3) 45+ mils in cap space was out of the game yesterday. No Romo, no Dez, no Tyron Smith. Arguably the 3 best players on the roster going into training camp, and arguably the three most IMPORTANT players on the roster going into camp. I know its only the Niners, but winning without those 3 (plus no Lael Collins, no Demarcus Lawrence, no Scandrick) is still somewhat of an accomplishment, especially after the dumpster fire we saw last year.

4) Not trading Leary is definitely looking like another stroke of luck for us. I know he doesn't have the upside of Collins, but he is a really good player and is probably more consistent on a down to down basis right now. He, Frederick and Martin opened some nice lanes yesterday consistently, despite the Niners being able to key more on the run game than our previous three opponents (because of loss of Dez). Chaz Green is also doing a solid job and improved every game to the point that I definitely believe he may move to RT and at least start sharing time there once (hopefully) Tyron Smith is back. Could be a substantial upgrade over Free pretty soon. He's more physical and appears to have better feet.

5) It's early, but our draft is certainly looking very solid. If they came away with just Prescott as a bonafide quality starting QB that'd be a win in itself. But Elliott is the real deal and will probably be a perennial probowler. Maliek Collins looks like a solid prospect at DT and Anthony Brown definitely has intriguing skill. He might be better than Scandrick right now, even if Scandrick wasn't hobbled. Has way more speed than Scandrick or Carr to go along with good size and some playmaking skill.

6) Might be a couple weeks before Demarcus Lawrence knocks all the rust off, but he should make some difference pretty quick over the jags we have at DE now. Not sure if he starts either of the next two games but should get plenty of time at least on pass downs. Broaddus said Lawrence may end up permanently at RDE now. I still think they need more DE help though and really hope they are looking around for trade help. We have one sack in the last two games, and have been credited with a pathetic two QB hits in those same two games (total of 72 drop backs)

7) Brice Butler had a pretty nice game yesterday, but that 4th quarter penalty was more of the same for Jason Garrett coached teams. Just total stupidity at the worst possible time. We easily pick up that 2nd and 1 for another first down and at least burn more time, if not drive for more points. Instead he wipes it out with a knuckleheaded 15 yr penalty. Then he drops perfetctly thrown pass for what should have been the clinching TD.

8) My weekly rant on scrubs who shouldn't be here. Keith Smith and Rod Smith are not real FB's. I'll give KS credit for having one pretty good block, he also had a 1st down run and a nice reception. But he also had an ignorant penalty that cost us 7pts. Rod Smith hasn't done anything of note in 4 games. Lance Dunbar isn't a bad player, but he offers no real value here. He's a one dimensional pass catching back. Trade him somewhere to a team that NEEDS that kind of player, at least get a 7th rd pick or something. He shouldn't be getting any 3rd down reps ahead of Zeke or even Morris, and Dunbar is atrocious in blitz pickup. He got steamrolled bad on one play yesterday, whereas the one time Zeke needed to pick up a guy in the hole he stoned the Niner player. Also on one reception he had he was slower that a pretty slow Niner safety (Bethea), then couldn't get the extra yd or two needed for the first down because he was easily stopped. Zeke would have picked that up pretty easy I suspect. And for God sakes, trade Escobar to somebody for a 7th rd pick or something. Dude probably hasn't been on the field for 5 offensive plays total the last two games.

9) My weekly WTF Garrett blurb. You find out in pre game warmups that your kicker has serious back issues, and yet on 4th and 1 or so from the Niner 30 you trot him out there for a 47 yd FG in a strong cross wind. YOU FUCKING IDIOT. Yes, apparently Bailey's back is such a concern that vet kickers are probably going to be brought in tomorrow in case he cant kick this week (or has to miss even more time). He'd be a HUGE loss if he misses significant time. I think I'd have former Bear PK Robbie Gould on speed dial tonight.

10) It wasn't a super risky call or anything, but Linehan's little screen play to Beasley late in the game was a great call and put the game away. Totally caught the Niners off guard.

11) 194 rushing yds on 39 carries and over 36 mins TOP. 12 rushing first downs. And this with two backup OL playing and a 3rd (Free) who is also limited by injury. I'd take that every week for sure. Yeah it was the Niners, but these same Niners held Todd Gurley to 47 yds on 17 carries. Seattle didn't exactly run hog wild all over them either (127 total yds rushing)

The Bengals, Packers & Eagles will be significantly tougher games than 3 we've won, so if we somehow win two of next three I might start becoming a believer in this years team. But 3-1 now is definitely better than what I was thinking after that week one loss to NYG.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Way too long to read, if I have to scroll over and over to get to the bottom of the post it probably ain't getting read

I just saw that we may be working out kickers because of Baileys back injury

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Way too long to read, if I have to scroll over and over to get to the bottom of the post it probably ain't getting read

Great post buddy, keep the contributions coming

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
8953227c1d49d264896f21e2160e4b44.jpg

This ones for you dbair

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dunbar is another guy Jerry has a man crush on. I dont get it. Zeke can do what he does plus ten other things better. I'd rather have Jackson if they are going use a game day spot on another back, he is more a complete back than Dunbar. As far as Escobar status, my guess is a phantom injury when Hanna returns, and then another team next year where he actually contributes.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
my only concern about Zeke is the lack of explosive runs. he ripped off a nice one in the 3rd thanks to a gaping hole. even Randle would have exploited it. I wanna see a 50 yarder before I truly believe.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
my only concern about Zeke is the lack of explosive runs. he ripped off a nice one in the 3rd thanks to a gaping hole. even Randle would have exploited it. I wanna see a 50 yarder before I truly believe.

They're coming BB, trust me on this.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

lol, come on man, it was a good read. dbair putting in work here, give him some love

Reaction score
Good post dbair. There are no long posts, only short attention spans. (Of course I have cut things down ever since Middy called me out in "Seriously you should post...."

The Bailey kick blunder was back to Garrett "coaching" at its worst. Why not use the spread formation, run the clock and get the first down. It was like second quarter in the Green Bay playoff game all over again and Garrett did not learn his lesson. Throwing on 3rd and short makes no sense when your running back makes more yards per carry than your WRs makes yards per catch. I wish the Garrett Coryell WR "if-then" WR 9 routes would be retired and they would pass only on 3rd down and 8 or more.

I'm not sure Tank Lawrence is going to solve anything. They need speed and he is more of a wrestler with strength rather than finesse.

The Beasley play was surprisingly well done and perfect. But if they are packing those type of plays, where are those plays during the game when they just need first downs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure Tank Lawrence is going to solve anything. They need speed and he is more of a wrestler with strength rather than finesse.

yeah he aint Harvey Martin is his prime or anything, but he is far better than our other DE's and at least has some clue how to get to the QB. I doubt he's ever a year in and year out double digit sack guy but I think he can get 7-10 sacks most yrs and there's definitely a need for that.

Like I said I hope they are looking around. I think the trade deadline is Nov 1st this yr so in the next couple weeks when some of these other teams have their playoff hopes all but ended, hopefully we can swing a deal.

Reaction score
yeah he aint Harvey Martin is his prime or anything, but he is far better than our other DE's and at least has some clue how to get to the QB. I doubt he's ever a year in and year out double digit sack guy but I think he can get 7-10 sacks most yrs and there's definitely a need for that.

Like I said I hope they are looking around. I think the trade deadline is Nov 1st this yr so in the next couple weeks when some of these other teams have their playoff hopes all but ended, hopefully we can swing a deal.

It's just kind of scary who the Dallas brain trust would consider a viable option, their criteria for what makes a good player and then what they will give up just to get another meatloaf like Benson Mayowa.

"Well we traded for Justin Trattou because we liked what we saw of him when he was on the Giants and Mike Zimmer and Norv gave him a ringing endorsement that giving three second rounds picks over the next three years was a steal for a player once called 'the Kellen Moore of the defense'".

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's just kind of scary who the Dallas brain trust would consider a viable option, their criteria for what makes a good player and then what they will give up just to get another meatloaf like Benson Mayowa.

"Well we traded for Justin Trattou because we liked what we saw of him when he was on the Giants and Mike Zimmer and Norv gave him a ringing endorsement that giving three second rounds picks over the next three years was a steal for a player once called 'the Kellen Moore of the defense'".

Yeah there's some fear of that for sure. Mayowa has been a been sack of nothing so far other than 1 or 2 plays in 4 games. Not good for a guy we vastly overpaid to get and expected to have some reasonable role in a rotation.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good post dbair. There are no long posts, only short attention spans. (Of course I have cut things down ever since Middy called me out in "Seriously you should post...."

The Bailey kick blunder was back to Garrett "coaching" at its worst. Why not use the spread formation, run the clock and get the first down. It was like second quarter in the Green Bay playoff game all over again and Garrett did not learn his lesson. Throwing on 3rd and short makes no sense when your running back makes more yards per carry than your WRs makes yards per catch. I wish the Garrett Coryell WR "if-then" WR 9 routes would be retired and they would pass only on 3rd down and 8 or more.

The Beasley play was surprisingly well done and perfect. But if they are packing those type of plays, where are those plays during the game when they just need first downs.

Fuck Middy (& I mean that in the kindest possible way)

keep up the good work, we need more content....especially since it's become obvious my never ending rants about jeri ain't gonna keep the lights on around here

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Fuck Middy (& I mean that in the kindest possible way)

keep up the good work, we need more content....especially since it's become obvious my never ending rants about jeri ain't gonna keep the lights on around here

I think you could get some people to come over form the zone if they knew about this board. I only figured out it existed when Fuzzy started calling (Alexander) boozeman on at the zone and telling the world it was his handle over here. So I decided to check it out. It is too far down on google search. Most people wont bother to check out more than two or three search results.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think you could get some people to come over form the zone if they knew about this board. I only figured out it existed when Fuzzy started calling (Alexander) boozeman on at the zone and telling the world it was his handle over here. So I decided to check it out. It is too far down on google search. Most people wont bother to check out more than two or three search results.

boozeman is Alexander?

did not know that, I enjoy watching Alexander rile up the homers

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Having more traffic would be nice, but I don't want a bunch of thin skinned idiots who say lame crap, then pout and complain if someone calls them out on it. I hated that about CZ. People could spew whatever kind of ignorance they wanted, but anyone who said something about it was flogged by the Mods there. All it did was create an atmosphere of stupidity. Then of course there were all the fake "in the know" people, which is about as annoying as it gets. Those people were extremely protected by the Mods there too, even when they got outed as frauds.

This place isn't for everyone but I like the fact that there's little moderation. This is a football forum not Sunday School. I kinda like the "its the neighborhood bar" type place of message boards.

Top Bottom