bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
How Jerry Jones nuked Cowboys’ chances to sign legit backup QB

jones1.jpg

Jerry Jones’ big mouth has become an even greater problem than his team’s quarterback debacle.

After Nick Foles was released by the Rams in late July, Jones said signing him wasn’t an option because the club was happy with backup quarterback Kellen Moore. But after Tony Romo’s safety blanket went down earlier this week, the Cowboys’ interest naturally was piqued.

Foles instead signed with the Chiefs on Thursday — reuniting with former Eagles head coach Andy Reid — and it appears he took Jones’ words to heart.

“Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones were asked about their interest, and they said they weren’t interested, they knew who he was because he played in their division and they believed the quarterback they had was a better play at the No. 2 position,” ESPN’s Ed Werder shared during “NFL Live” on Friday (via Pro Football Talk). “Then the injury occurred and it dramatically changed circumstances, but I don’t know that Nick Foles ever got over what he considered to be derogatory remarks made by the Cowboys about their backup quarterback position.”

The Cowboys have two additional quarterbacks on their roster — rookie Dak Prescott and one-year vet Jameill Showers — so Jones’ short list likely will include players with more experience. With the price of Browns backup Josh McCown reportedly too high, Dallas could turn their attention to Buccaneers backup Mike Glennon. Josh Freeman’s agent also reached out to the Cowboys to gauge their interest, according to ESPN, and was told the team is reviewing their options.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
When was the last time we signed a legit player we needed through free agency unless we way overpaid? I mean a really good player?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is why I don't understand all of the false praise that the Front office is doing things right now.

This past off-season was as bad as any I can remember. Especially for a team who believes that they (and Rom) are oh so close to contending.

Reaction score
When was the last time we signed a legit player we needed through free agency unless we way overpaid? I mean a really good player?

That's a good question. Rolando McClain is a very good player and changes the defense when he plays. When he plays.

I thought Durant was a good signing both times.

McFadden and Morris are both fairly good signings.

But the DL and the DBs get nothing. Thornton is probably okay but not truly an outstanding addition to the defense that changes everything.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
That's a good question. Rolando McClain is a very good player and changes the defense when he plays. When he plays.

I thought Durant was a good signing both times.

McFadden and Morris are both fairly good signings.

But the DL and the DBs get nothing. Thornton is probably okay but not truly an outstanding addition to the defense that changes everything.

Those guys are pretty much dumpster diving low cost options. They filled needs.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score

Everybody overpays in free agency.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When was the last time we signed a really good free agent at any price?

Reaction score
It was the football gods in action again. They made Jerry eat a karma shit burger within hours of his emasculating his own head coach with his "FOLES IS NOT AN OPTION!!!" comment.

6-10 or worse.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It was the football gods in action again. They made Jerry eat a karma shit burger within hours of his emasculating his own head coach with his "FOLES IS NOT AN OPTION!!!" comment.

6-10 or worse.

So if that happens is QB the target at the top end of the 1st round in the next draft?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So if that happens is QB the target at the top end of the 1st round in the next draft?

IMO the 17 draft doesnt look great for QBs. I d rather go all in on Rosen in 18. Hopefully a new staff will be in place to develop him.

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

6-10 or worse.

Romo's back stiffness says worse.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
IMO the 17 draft doesnt look great for QBs. I d rather go all in on Rosen in 18. Hopefully a new staff will be in place to develop him.

In which round and about where in the round is Rosen being projected?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So you are expecting them to have the worst record in the NFL next season?

Trading from 32 to 1 will be extremely costly. I'd want to see what CMD is proposing we give up.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Trading from 32 to 1 will be extremely costly. I'd want to see what CMD is proposing we give up.

Throw in the fact that it's Jerry doing the trading then whatever CMD proposes we will need to include an extra 1st round pick on top of it.

Reaction score

If Romo has to retire after this season due to too many injuries then yes, there is a very good chance the Cowboys will be the worst team in the league next year, and years beyond that. Not likely to have another Romo fall out of the sky for this franchise again. Those only happen once or twice a decade.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Look at their record without Romo. Ugly. I'll go on record as saying the end is nye. Back stiffness that he has to "manage" with no contact? Jerry talking 5 more years of Romo is his usual talking out his ass. I wish I could find a prop bet in Vegas on it. I'd bet the farm.

Top Bottom