Reaction score
Redskins exercise Robert Griffin III's $16.2M option for 2016

ESPN.com news services

The Redskins will exercise their fifth-year option on Robert Griffin III's contract, a move that will keep the star quarterback under Washington's contractual control through the 2016 season.

Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan announced the team's decision Monday, saying there is a "very positive feeling in the building right now."

Griffin will make $16.2 million in the option year in 2016. He will make $3.27 million in base salary this season.

The Redskins had until May 3 to pick up the option, but McCloughan said that the team had made its decision on Griffin "a while back."

"He's a good football player," McCloughan said. "He's got the tape out there. Everyone knows what he did in [2012] when he was offensive rookie of the year. This offseason will be his second in the system, being healthy, being able to go through the offseason."

The $16.2 million is guaranteed for injury only, meaning Washington could release Griffin prior to the start of the 2016 league year without any salary cap ramifications.

But the Redskins have publicly supported Griffin throughout the offseason despite the former Heisman Trophy winner's disappointing first year under coach Jay Gruden. Griffin, Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy all started at times last season, when Washington went 4-12.

Despite previously indicating that he would hold an open competition for the starting quarterback job, Gruden reversed course at the NFL scouting combine in February, saying the Redskins would enter the season with Griffin "as our No. 1 guy."

McCloughan acknowledged Monday, however, that the Redskins' decision on Griffin's option will not necessarily prevent them from selecting a quarterback in this weekend's NFL draft. Washington has the fifth overall pick.

"It does not affect our draft process whatsoever," he said. "If we get to the fifth pick and the best player's a quarterback, we're taking a quarterback. We like the three we have, but again, we're not going to pass on a good football player. There's no reason to."

Griffin appeared in just nine games last season due to an ankle injury, passing for 1,694 yards and four touchdowns with six interceptions. He has battled injuries and widespread scrutiny since his outstanding rookie season in 2012, when he led the Redskins to the NFC East title.

ESPN.com Redskins reporter John Keim and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Redskins had until May 3 to pick up the option, but McCloughan said that the team had made its decision on Griffin "a while back."

"He's a good football player," McCloughan said. "He's got the tape out there. Everyone knows what he did in [2012] when he was offensive rookie of the year. This offseason will be his second in the system, being healthy, being able to go through the offseason."

Everyone knows what he did in a gimmick offense, and what he did after a year of tape was available for that rookie season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Everyone knows what he did in a gimmick offense, and what he did after a year of tape was available for that rookie season.
Defenses learned to NOT have the DEs crashing down, instead teaching them to stay home and thusly ended the gimmick's success. And since RG Pee is essentially a one trick pony, he hasn't been able to do much.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Defenses learned to NOT have the DEs crashing down, instead teaching them to stay home and thusly ended the gimmick's success. And since RG Pee is essentially a one trick pony, he hasn't been able to do much.

He's a one-read QB. And the other two QBs behind him are not much better.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I bet that team is a lot better this year.

Of course they did split with us last year and I doubt they do any better than that this year.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
QB that's finally fully healthy, second year of a new head coach, a GM that seems to have a clue, very high picks in every round.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
QB that's finally fully healthy, second year of a new head coach, a GM that seems to have a clue, very high picks in every round.

The QB being healthy was not the problem. In Robert 1.2.3. second year --- after making ROY, he played in 13 games and the Redskins went 3-13.

And let's not forget how many times he was BENCHED for lousy play, not to injury. He was stinking it up even before he got injured, so that's bullshit.

Since his rookie year, he has started 20 games and lost 16 of them.

Second year of new HC... and? That's supposed to be a guarantee? They also have a new ROOKIE DC.

Ah the GM... the one that was fired because of his drinking problem... a drunk. Yes.

With the exception of 1st round picks the last few of year, they've had high picks in all the other rounds... and they still sucked.

You have to use better reasoning than that.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
A Cowboys fan complaining about a GM with a drinking problem? Seriously?

We've been over the RG3 injury thing before. I get it, you hate him, etc. Still don't see how you ignore playing on a leg that was turned sideways seven months before and getting zero preseason snaps, but suit yourself.

And yeah, they've had picks "with the exception of 1st round picks the last few years"... That's kind of the point.

Also, keep in mind they can be "a lot better" than the absolute train wreck they have been and still not be very good. I'm not saying they'll be a Superbowl contender, just that they'll be competent.

Last edited:

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
RG3 has flashed what type of talent he has. What, didn't he torch Dallas on Thanksgiving a few years ago for 300 yards and 5 TDs?

He's been hurt and I think he had a lot of people fooled about his maturity level coming out of college. He still has a chance to be a pretty good QB if he comes into this year completely healthy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What, didn't he torch Dallas on Thanksgiving a few years ago for 300 yards and 5 TDs?
That's hardly a endorsement or a indicator of talent at the QB position. Just about everybody torches us especially with that idiot incompetent boob Claiborne back there.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
RG3 has flashed what type of talent he has. What, didn't he torch Dallas on Thanksgiving a few years ago for 300 yards and 5 TDs?

He's been hurt and I think he had a lot of people fooled about his maturity level coming out of college. He still has a chance to be a pretty good QB if he comes into this year completely healthy.

That was in his fucking rookie year. What has he done since then?

Bullshit. He's been benched more than he's been hurt. The injury is an excuse, and a sad one at that, when in particular when he wasn't injured, people like you and TE use it/claim it.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
A Cowboys fan complaining about a GM with a drinking problem? Seriously?

We've been over the RG3 injury thing before. I get it, you hate him, etc. Still don't see how you ignore playing on a leg that was turned sideways seven months before and getting zero preseason snaps, but suit yourself.

And yeah, they've had picks "with the exception of 1st round picks the last few years"... That's kind of the point.

Also, keep in mind they can be "a lot better" than the absolute train wreck they have been and still not be very good. I'm not saying they'll be a Superbowl contender, just that they'll be competent.

Who said I was complaining? I said he had a drinking problem. And yes, I know you alluded to Jerry, but for the past couple of drafts, Stephen's been the one on charge... so what the fuck is your point?

Wrong. I'm indifferent to him. He played 15 games in his rookie season, then 13 games in the following season. Sorry... he played the majority of the season in 2013... he wasn't injured, and he stunk it up. His poor decision-making had nothing to do with his so-called injuries. A lot of his passes were behind the LOS and the receivers had to make up for them. He did a lot of dumpoffs --- don't see the talent in that.

You said they have high picks in every round in this draft as a reason why they will be better. I pointed out that they had high picks in every round except the 1st the past few years and it didn't make a difference. Are you suggesting that if they had a 1st round pick, they would have been better? Look dufus... had they not traded up for Robert 1.2.3... the consensus was that they would have stood pat at #6 and drafted Claiborne... AAAAAAAHHHH FUCK!!!!!!!! So they still would have been lousy as they were any way.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why are you so mad, Laz?

We've been over this before, but if Tony blew out his knee against Detroit and couldn't play a single preseason snap this year, there would be no excuse if his play dropped off in 2015? I'd say there would be, but again, suit yourself.

And I guess you're right, two firsts including the #2 overall and a second wouldn't help a team at all. Nor would having a better GM, alcohol problem or no.

I'm convinced.

Reaction score
So if the Redskins had a first rounder in 2012, they would have taken Claiborne... so their GM can't be any good.

That's a ringing endorsement of our GM/personnel structure.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
That was in his fucking rookie year. What has he done since then?

Bullshit. He's been benched more than he's been hurt. The injury is an excuse, and a sad one at that, when in particular when he wasn't injured, people like you and TE use it/claim it.

Im im going off the assumption that he hasn't been right since that bad knee injury.

I suspect 2015 will be very telling.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
LOL at Skins. Heard on one of the sports radio broadcasts today (Adam Shein) that they are considering a trade up for Mariotta

Top Bottom