Reaction score
@CBS11BillJones: “@RapSheet: #Cowboys are flying up to work out Oregon St. QB Sean Mannion tomorrow" >John Garrett was his OC last year

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
they are just working the guy out....doesnt mean he's gonna be drafted

they've worked out alot of the QB's this year

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My biggest fear this draft season would be us overvaluing Mannion because of the Garrett connection. I don't mind him in the 7th but any earlier and I feel it's bad pick.

One good thing is that he's an upgrade over Vaughan.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
My biggest fear this draft season would be us overvaluing Mannion because of the Garrett connection. I don't mind him in the 7th but any earlier and I feel it's bad pick.

One good thing is that he's an upgrade over Vaughan.

Do you really think he is an upgrade? Vaughn has looked good when he has played.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Isn't one Garrett stain on this organization enough?

Hopefully Jerry will remember why he fired John and nix this.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I like 6-5 220 for a QB. I don't like 30 fumbles from holding the ball at his crotch giving defenders a easy swipe, not excited about his 54 picks, and not wild about his total lack of mobility and poise under pressure.

UDFA signing, at best.

Reaction score
I dont trust Garrett and Jerry with finding the next Cowboys QB. We saw that shit stain McGee that was drafted. It took me two second to see that he couldnt play.

I believe there is a potential option out there but im not gonna rehash it right now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
yeah I bet we draft him because of the Garrett connection, probably first round

kinda like we always draft Arkansas players because of the Jerruh connection

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Other than CMD, I doubt many (if any) of you have really seen him play. I admit I probably haven't seen more than a few mins of him over a couple of games.

I watched this clip (and a few others) though and can see why teams would be interested. He good size and a nice arm, can throw with touch and seems to throw downfield pretty well. His footwork in his drop backs is good. He shows good hand fakes on PA passes. The write ups on him are not bad at all and it seems the consensus is he is a middle round pick. While Dooms (the great scout that he is) points out 54 picks, he doesn't point out that he had only 23 his final two yrs (23 might seem like a lot, but that's on nearly 700 attempts),...he threw 52 tds the past two seasons... or that for his career he completed almost 65% of his throws

He needs more coaching and experience. It also wouldn't hurt to play with a better supporting cast, the teams he has been on have been pretty mediocre at best.

Sean Mannion 2013 highlights - YouTube

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
While Dooms (the great scout that he is) points out 54 picks, he doesn't point out that he had only 23 his final two yrs (23 might seem like a lot, but that's on nearly 700 attempts)
I didn't point it out because I don't give a shit about it. I correctly said this guy should be a UDFA sign. He is fumble prone and can't seem to play under pressure. Highlight reels don't show that.

My nephew attends Oregon State, I have watched a good many of their games with this guy playing. He helped himself on pro day, not all potential draftees do that. He has some plusses but he is not worth a draft pick IMO.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So how come many of these draft guides I have have him labeled as a 3rd or 4th rd pick?

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What draft guides have him in that area?

These are the one's I have:

Brugler: 9th rated QB, has him as a priority free agent
Lindy's: 7th rated QB, 6th rd
USA Today Sports Draft preview (Ourlads is what they used) he is the 99th player overall, the 4th rated QB and a 4th/5th rd pick
Athlon: 5th rated QB 4th/5th rd
That magazine that looks like the old PFW: 8th rated QB 6th rd

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
NFLDraftscout has him as a 4th/5th rd pick as well

On nfl.com they have him the 6th rated QB, but just barely behind the guy they project as the 3rd best QB

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So how come many of these draft guides I have have him labeled as a 3rd or 4th rd pick?
You don't understand what I am saying. If he gets picked that's all fine and dandy. But for DALLAS to waste a pick on him, even a 7th round pick, with all the other areas they need addressed, simply isn't worth it. If he is still around after the draft, sure shoot him a UDFA offer sheet.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You don't understand what I am saying. If he gets picked that's all fine and dandy. But for DALLAS to waste a pick on him, even a 7th round pick, with all the other areas they need addressed, simply isn't worth it. If he is still around after the draft, sure shoot him a UDFA offer sheet.

Pretty sure finding a Romo successor is a need. It'd be nice to have someone ready in 1-2 seasons and the odds we can have Romo retire (or unable to play anymore) and find somebody THAT year to replace him without a major drop in production are pretty slim.

I'm not one of these people that thinks taking a QB for the sake of taking one is the way to go, but if you find someone you like that you believe you can develop into a starter, its worth it to take a look. None of these guys they are looking at are ready to play now, but they could very well be ready in a season or two.

Top Bottom