Reaction score
4/3/2015 10:40:36 AM

Chris Mortensen of ESPN, speaking on “Mike and Mike in the Morning” on April 1, indicated the Browns are ready to give up on Johnny Manziel as a wasted first-round draft after just one season, Jeff Schudel of the News-Herald reports.

“I think about 90 percent that they have moved on (from Manziel) in their own minds except that they really don’t know who they’re going to get when Johnny leaves rehab, which has been an extended stay — a two-month stay,” Mortensen said. “He should be getting out sometime in the first week of April if they’re satisfied that he’s ready to go out and get into society and that whatever deep-rooted problems that he had has been addressed.

“The bottom line is that Johnny Manziel’s future with the Browns has been in question. When they were putting together half of a new offensive staff, Manziel’s name barely even came up in conversation.”

Mortensen’s bold words run contrary to the public stance the Browns are taking on Manziel.

“There’s a reason we drafted (Manziel) where we did,” head coach Mike Pettine told reporters at the NFL league meetings last month in Phoenix. “This is a guy that accounted for 90-plus touchdowns in college (at Texas A&M).

Ray Farmer also said Manziel deserves another chance. The Browns general manager, who moved up four spots in the 2014 draft to take Manziel 22nd overall, expects more from Manziel now that DeFilippo has replaced Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator.

“If he’s prepared and he demonstrates the things that he needs to demonstrate, then yeah he should get every opportunity to be the guy,” Farmer said in Phoenix. “Do I believe in his skill set and think that he can do the job? Sure. But I think you have to give guys an opportunity to grow and learn.

“You’ve got to put people in the optimum opportunity to have success. I look at who we were at the beginning of last year — running the football, playing play-action, two backs in the backfield. We didn’t play like that when he played.”

Manziel started the 14th and 15th games of 2014 and lost both. He completed 18 of 35 passes for 175 yards with no touchdowns and two interceptions in about seven quarters. He had a 42.0 passer rating.

Reaction score
If the name rings a bell, you may recall he's the guy the "NFL Executive of the Year" wanted to take in round one, while also saying taking Zach Martin gets us 8-8.

Reaction score
I am curious to what it would cost to get Manziel. He needs to get out of Cleveland, that franchise will never be a winner. He could sit behind Romo for the next couple years. The hype has died down, people have given up on him. Everyone but me! I think the kid still has a bright future ahead of him.

That said, a conditional pick based on what he does. Pay a conditional 2nd or 3rd.

Reaction score
He'll go down as nothing more than an Arabian McCown brother when it's all said and done.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Sorry, but a change of scenery won't help. He'd suck on all 32 teams.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Expecting Kelly to trade for him any time.

Only halfway kidding... If he knew JF was clean, he really might. Problem is, no one is going to trust he'll stay clean.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Expecting Kelly to trade for him any time.

Only halfway kidding... If he knew JF was clean, he really might. Problem is, no one is going to trust he'll stay clean.
Yep he had a lot to prove anyway, without now the substance abuse issue on top of it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I am curious to what it would cost to get Manziel. He needs to get out of Cleveland, that franchise will never be a winner. He could sit behind Romo for the next couple years. The hype has died down, people have given up on him. Everyone but me! I think the kid still has a bright future ahead of him.

That said, a conditional pick based on what he does. Pay a conditional 2nd or 3rd.

WTF? Are you fucking serious?

I wouldn't trade a bag of fucking peanuts for this waste.

Reaction score
I'd pick him up for a minimum deal if he were cut. He needs out of Cleveland in the worst way. He can be Romo's padawan.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Id consider Manziel for a late round pick. Never would I trade a 2 or 3 for him. One year in the league and already in rehab.. I don't think so. A 5th at the most. Maybe a player.

Reaction score
Id consider Manziel for a late round pick. Never would I trade a 2 or 3 for him. One year in the league and already in rehab.. I don't think so. A 5th at the most. Maybe a player.

I dont think the Browns would give him up for a late round pick. Not this year at least. Too much of an unknown.

Manziels addiction had to be addressed. It carried over from college. If he can stay clean, i think it will be life-changing for him.

BTW, he should be released from rehab soon.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
the fact that they are basically giving up on him already shows they pretty much know all they need to know

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He's a scumbag. I hope they give him another shot just so Jerry can't take one of those world class risks he thinks puts the team at an advantage.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I wouldn't trade a bag of used rubbers for him. Dudes a mess. Who else would want him if Cleveland is willing to bail on him in less than a year?

Most addicts are at least functional at his age. This guy needs a double dose of rehab to protect himself from himself. He's a lost cause that never was.

Top Bottom