bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Hill: Jerry Jones told coaches "don't come in here with same old same old"
Jerry Jones told coaches "don't come in here with same old same old", demanded they change "O" for Escobar

Even though the Cowboys had a Pro Bowl tight end in Jason Witten, they still drafted San Diego State tight end Gavin Escobar in the second round.

Stop me if you have heard this before.

The Cowboys took Anthony Fasano in the second round in 2006 with Witten on the roster. That didn't work out and he was eventually shipped to the Dolphins where he thrived. They took Martellus Bennett in the second round in 2008. That didn't work either and he left before last season as a free agent.

So when Escobar was on the board in the second round Friday and the talked turned to taking him with the blank overall pick, Jones demanded that his coaches agree that they will change the offense to feature both Witten and Escobar.

"You saw him coming," Jones recalled is conversations in the Cowboys war room. "No are we all resolved to doing it different relative to injecting that influence in this offense? Don't come in here with same old same old."

Jones continued: "I took a roll call and said if we got this route with the tight end we are going to shake it up around here relative to what we are doing. It's going to be different. I joked we are going to pass the paper around and we are all going to sign it. We are going to be different."

Jones partially blamed Bennett for some for some of the failures during his time in Dallas. He said the coaches really tried to make it work and tried to change the offense for him _ all to no avail.

"Some of the things that we tried to do with Martellus but we just couldn’t get it done, we couldn’t get it working," Jones siad. "We had packages we worked on for weeks out here just to get packages in, and he didn’t show. That sounds negative toward him, but he didn’t show. Having said that, we welcome the opportunity to add a tight end, a New England-type emphasis player, and can this quarterback have both of him? He sure can."

Clarence Hill

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The Cowboys thought A&M's offense held back Martellus' receiving, when in fact, the dude just had some poor mittens.

Reaction score
I hope Pablo is more mature than Bennett. You could tell from jump street Bennett just dgaf.

I was impressed the game I saw San Diego State play, but I don't know anything else about him - where his head is at, maturity, etc.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Seriously? WTF are they going to do differently? They're going to dream up some new stuff they couldn't think of before just because Jerry made them pinky swear?

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I hope Pablo is more mature than Bennett. You could tell from jump street Bennett just dgaf.

I was impressed the game I saw San Diego State play, but I don't know anything else about him - where his head is at, maturity, etc.

He is a lot like witten.

Big, long, will get stronger and learn to block, catches the ball in traffic, and on the sideline, fights for the ball......seems to be a team first guy with a good work ethic. And like witten he appears to be tough and dedicated. He played the 11 season with a broken left hand.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
They knew. In fact in Bennett's writeup, one of the things that stood out is that they described himas being, "high maintenence".

Which brings up the question, why in the hell didn't they trade him to the Bengals for a high second rounder when they had a chance?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The biggest change would be adding to Frderick with either Winston/Clabo and maybe Moore too.

Too many times the extra TE ended up staying in to help block, rather than going out downfield somewhere. If they fix that, the passing game will look a little different and they can really take advantage of some of the favorable matchups we should be able to create. Not many teams have anyone capable of taking away Bryant with one guy.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Which brings up the question, why in the hell didn't they trade him to the Bengals for a high second rounder when they had a chance?

Even with the sorry state the Bengals have been I can't imagine they really wanted Bennett.

With decent production at NYG this year they said adios to him. Bennett is a position coach killer.

I've coached a few kids like that. You stake your rep in front of the HC by vouching for the kid and they embarass the hell out of you.

Glad he is gone.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I can't believe we drafted Bennett. Fucking moron.

I wouldn't even have signed him as a rookie free agent.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Actually I think you are pointing the finger at the wrong moron.

Move down the alphabet from "B" to "H" to "I"...well you get the idea.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Actually I think you are pointing the finger at the wrong moron.

Move down the alphabet from "B" to "H" to "I"...well you get the idea.

Oh that burns, mdawg....

Don't do me like that, dawg.

Top Bottom