Reaction score
Cowboys’ Top 3 Weaknesses in 2012
Jonathan Bales

Over at NBC, I posted a short list of the Cowboys’ major weaknesses. Two of them won’t surprise you, but one is a little bit off-the-map.

No. 2 Defensive End

Jason Hatcher will man one end of the Cowboys’ defensive line, and he’ll be just fine. I’ve graded Hatcher high for years. He was third on the team in hits and sacks in 2011, and fourth in pressures with 14. That’s pretty awesome for a five-technique defensive end.

Opposite Hatcher, however, there could be issues. Sean Lissemore deserves to start, in my opinion, but he may not get that chance. Lissemore, who I graded as the Cowboys’ second-most efficient player in 2011 (behind outside linebacker Victor Butler), pressured the quarterback on 5.3 percent of his pass rush snaps last season—a rate higher than that of Jay Ratliff.

Rob Ryan may decide to opt for a run-stuffing defensive end on early downs, however. Plus, regardless of Lissemore’s prowess, the Cowboys’ defensive line is really a revolving door. For example, three defensive ends (Hatcher, Marcus Spears, and Kenyon Coleman) played at least 38 percent of defensive snaps in 2011, but none of them played more than 41 percent of snaps.

Ultimately, the Cowboys really lack depth on the entire defensive line, and that’s probably the worst unit on which to have a dearth of talent.

PR/KR

This might seem trivial, but a great returner can really be a game-changer. Kick returners have become less significant with the recent upswing in touchbacks, but punt returners in particular can completely swing momentum.

The Cowboys’ return game has been horrific over the past decade, and it doesn’t look to be improving. Felix Jones is really indecisive on kick returns. Raymond Radway and Teddy Williams both possess elite speed, but neither player is likely to be on the final roster. Dez Bryant obviously offers something special on punt returns, but the Cowboys can’t risk losing the focal point of their offense.

Right now, the ‘Boys simply don’t have much of anything in the return department. If they bring in a free agent wide receiver as they did last year with Laurent Robinson, don’t be surprised if they opt for someone who can add something as a returner.

Interior line

The interior line is getting beaten to death in the media, but for good reason. I’ve tried to find something positive from them during my preseason film study, but I just can’t do it. Phil Costa has been injured and David Arkin has been horrific at center. Nate Livings has probably been the best of the bunch, but I’d give him just a C- grade in his early preseason work.

And it isn’t as if the interior line isn’t important. Teams with a top 20 interior lineman, as graded by Pro Football Focus, have consistently won more games than those that field poor interior linemen.

Right now, the interior line is undoubtedly the biggest issue that could plague the Cowboys in the 2012 regular season. Until we see legitimate improvement inside, I don’t think we can consider the ‘Boys a playoff-caliber team.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
defensive line...especially at DE, is one of our deeper positions..what a clown article this is.

Dez at punt returner

Interior OL - ok

1/3 - dumbass

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1. Interior OL mainly C
2. 3rd WR especially if Austin or Dez can't start a game.
3. Lack of complimentary pass rusher (LOLB or from the DE spots) to help out Ware.

or bbgun's answer

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
1. Interior OL mainly C
2. 3rd WR especially if Austin or Dez can't start a game.
3. Lack of complimentary pass rusher (LOLB or from the DE spots) to help out Ware.

or bbgun's answer

This is a much better list

Reaction score
Huge failure that they haven't found a compliment to Ware. Particularly with defensive guru wade in the house for a stint.

Paying Laurent Robinson would have been stupid, but not having a backup plan at WR3 and C are equally stupid.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
there's no question that this team has been mismanaged

But there was no way possible this team was going to fill all of its holes during this offseason

Reaction score
there's no question that this team has been mismanaged

But there was no way possible this team was going to fill all of its holes during this offseason

Somewhere (likely CZ), someday in the recent past, there must been a delusional homer who said this, and now every other delusional homer has accepted it as fact and run with it.

In reality, the trenches have been eroding for way longer than one offseason. FO has just been recklessly trading away picks and allocating cap space on shitty has-been players, so they've had no way to address it.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Somewhere (likely CZ), someday in the recent past, there must been a delusional homer who said this, and now every other delusional homer has accepted it as fact and run with it.

In reality, the trenches have been eroding for way longer than one offseason. FO has just been recklessly trading away picks and allocating cap space on shitty has-been players, so they've had no way to address it.

I don't think you're listening

This team has been mismanaged for years

That is WHY we couldn't fill all of our holes this offseason

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Hatcher, Lissemore, Spears, and Crawford is pretty deep. Then there is Ben Bass to think about who has been active.

Reaction score
Theebs will leak some pre-ejaculate when he reads Sturm's take on the dline:

I am as optimistic about this group as I have been in years. Jay Ratliff is the constant, but now he has high-motor players with natural skills like Tyrone Crawford and Sean Lissemore joining a veteran like Jason Hatcher who appears to be breaking out before our eyes. Hopefully the days of Marcus Spears and Igor Olshansky just taking up space and not really impacting plays or freeing up space for LBs to fly in and make plays are behind us. I don't think Kenyon Coleman or Marcus Spears are locks to make the squad and that is a good thing. I have nothing against them, but the competition level has been so low around here for so long on the DL that the veterans have kept their jobs without being challenged by anyone behind them in the depth chart. It appears that situation is changing. It appears they have players who are young and explosive now in the group. Are Robert Callaway and Ben Bass in that group, too? We shall see on cutdown day, but I am excited about what they are building now.

Reaction score
Something I read...

Jason Hatcher and Tyron Crawford are the only resources in the draft we've dedicated to the Dline with a third round or higher pick, since 2006.

But it's cool because we lucked upon Lissemore and it looks like he might pan out.

Reaction score
Hatcher, Lissemore, Spears, and Crawford is pretty deep. Then there is Ben Bass to think about who has been active.

Lissemore and Crawford... but have great potential, but honestly, are relative unknowns.

Spears is just a guy.

Hatcher is a flash player. Makes plays, then disappears.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Lissemore and Crawford... but have great potential, but honestly, are relative unknowns.

Spears is just a guy.

Hatcher is a flash player. Makes plays, then disappears.

Hatcher is definitely good enough
Liss has proven he can at least play
Crawford is an unknown

Reaction score
Are you kidding?

Hatch, Liss, Crawford, SPears, Coleman, Geathers,

That's Much deeper than many of our other positions..almost all of them, in fact

Hatcher is decent.

Lissemore has been a good role player. No guarantee he'll be better as a full timer. Although he's earned the chance.

Spears and Coleman are one dimensional and average at best.

Geathers is a big guy who has never done anything.

That's not depth.

Reaction score
I'd say we have more depth/talent at RB, corner, WR (based on our immensely talented starters alone), TE, QB, and linebacker.

All of those positions are deeper/more talented pound for pound than DE.

Top Bottom