Reaction score
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20120707-report-cowboys-inquire-about-alabama-am-lb-larry-lumpkin-ahead-of-supplemental-draft.ece

Report: Cowboys inquire about Alabama A&M LB Larry Lumpkin ahead of supplemental draft

Staff reports

Published: 07 July 2012 08:11 PM

The Cowboys may not yet be done restocking their defense this off-season.

According to a report by the Huntsville Times, the Cowboys inquired Cedric Pearl, Alabama A&M's NFL liason, about former Alabama A&M linebacker Larry Lumpikin ahead of Thursday's NFL supplemental draft. The report also said the Denver Broncos have inquired about Lumpkin.

"They're interested in Larry," Pearl told the paper. "They've seen him on film. They know what he can do. They're trying to get information on his background."

But it's Lumpkin's background that might scare teams off.

He transferred to Carson-Newman College after two seasons at Alabama A&M, and Lumpkin's linebackers coach at Alabama A&M, Jay Martin, didn't seem to have particularly fond memories of his former player.

"Larry was a playmaker for us, but he had a lot of issues," Martin told the paper. "He was constantly late for meetings and he would miss practice at least one day a week.

"He was very undisciplined. He would have helped us, but he didn't want to be here."

Lumpkin became eligible for the supplemental draft after he was declared academically ineligible for his senior season at Carson-Newman College in Tennessee. Lumpkin made 94 tackles last season, including 10 for a loss. He was also named to the All-South Atlantic Conference first team.

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/07/ex-coach-rips-supplemental-draft-prospect-larry-lumpkin/

Ex-coach rips supplemental draft prospect Larry Lumpkin

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 7, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT

Carson-Newman linebacker Larry Lumpkin is one of eight players available in next week’s supplemental draft, and he’s one of the players who probably won’t be drafted. Because with Lumpkin — as with so many players who leave their college teams for the supplemental draft — off-field issues overshadow his on-field ability.

Lumpkin transferred to Carson-Newman, a Division-II school, after playing two seasons at Alabama A&M. And his position coach at Alabama A&M, Jay Martin, told the Huntsville Times that Lumpkin never cultivated his talent because he never cared enough.

“Larry was a playmaker for us, but he had a lot of issues,” Martin said. “He was constantly late for meetings and he would miss practice at least one day a week. He was very undisciplined. He would have helped us, but he didn’t want to be here.”

Alabama A&M offensive coordinator Cedric Pearl, who serves as A&M’s NFL liason, said the Cowboys and Broncos about have called the school about Lumpkin recently. It’s likely that those teams are more interested in him as a potential undrafted free agent signing after the supplemental draft than in investing a 2013 draft pick on him.

If Lumpkin does get a shot at training camp with the Broncos, Cowboys or any other NFL team, he’d be wise to show up on time. Undrafted rookies don’t get the chance to be “constantly late” in the NFL, because if you’re an undrafted rookie and you’re late once, it’s probably going to be your last day on the team.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Please god no.

That is all we need is two guys late for everything. I mean lumpkin could bump into Bryant in the hall when they are both late and Bryant could get hurt.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
If dallas uses a 7th on him i wouldnt care. Talent is talent. At the end of the day if it only costs a 7th theres really no loss.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
talent is talent but knuckleheads are knuckleheads and you just cant have them.

you especially cant have them here when they are known to always get there way and completely steer the locker room.

because of our owner and the way he runs the organization we can not have questionable people here. its the reason I am starting to get optimistic about this year, we have good guys again like in 05. that was a close team that pulled for each other sans keyshawn. They were talented enough but what they forged that year coupled with some of the new guys in 06 fitting right into a good locker room sans owens we took off.

this could be like 05 again. Unfortunately ware, witten and romo are not young anymore so they dont have much time for team building years.....but it might be just that.

cant have bad guys or questionable guys though. We already have dez who does what he wants and that is more than enough for the staff to manage.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
People can change is all im saying(Ray lewis) and sometimes they dont(Terrell Owens). But if all it would cost them is a 7th round pick i say why not? Because truth of the matter is being a 7th round pick on the Cowboys you're more than likely to get cut because you were beat by an undrafted freeagent. Price is a small but the rewards could be better.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
well if he is worth it maybe. but people simply dont change under jerry jones they become even more empowered. Its a really really bad structure we have.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
well if he is worth it maybe. but people simply dont change under jerry jones they become even more empowered. Its a really really bad structure we have.

It is what it is. Jerry has always been like that. Even during the superbowl yrs.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It is what it is. Jerry has always been like that. Even during the superbowl yrs.

thats misleading.

During the superbowl years the players answered to jimmy johnson. Jerry could be buddies with the guys and drink with them.

now a days the players think jerry is in charge at all times. That is no good. that is why our locker room has had issues and why in tough situations these guys have not pulled through.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
thats misleading.

During the superbowl years the players answered to jimmy johnson. Jerry could be buddies with the guys and drink with them.

now a days the players think jerry is in charge at all times. That is no good. that is why our locker room has had issues and why in tough situations these guys have not pulled through.

I dont know about that either. People like to point out how Jerry is always in the mix and thats why its not working. Ill say look at the colts. Jim Irsay is the same type of guy. Colts have had success for a decade until Manning left. Me personally its all about the coach. You either prepare and expect from your players or you dont. The owners dont play the game dont coach the game. People say Jerry changed with Parcells but Wade had more success with the players Parcells had. And Wade was supposedly a yes man.

Jerry is out there but I cant blame him for the way the team plays on sunday. There are few teams in the nfl with more talent than the Cowboys. Jerry isnt telling the coaches who to play and who not to play.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I dont know about that either. People like to point out how Jerry is always in the mix and thats why its not working. Ill say look at the colts. Jim Irsay is the same type of guy. Colts have had success for a decade until Manning left. Me personally its all about the coach. You either prepare and expect from your players or you dont. The owners dont play the game dont coach the game. People say Jerry changed with Parcells but Wade had more success with the players Parcells had. And Wade was supposedly a yes man.

Jerry is out there but I cant blame him for the way the team plays on sunday. There are few teams in the nfl with more talent than the Cowboys. Jerry isnt telling the coaches who to play and who not to play.

You mean like the time he came out and said that Felix would be starting because he said so... or the time he came down on the sidelines to tell Redball that Tony was going to go back into the game?

Besides those two times, I suppose you are... well, still not right.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Im sure he's not telling the coach what you just said. I dont ever remember him saying Felix will start because i said so. I remember him going down to the sidelines and asking about Romo after he hurt his hand in a game that meant nothing to the cowboys last yr vs the Eagles. Cowboys couldnt clinch because the Giants had just won and Garrett still had Romo in the game. Stupid move by Garrett if you ask me.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
talent is talent but knuckleheads are knuckleheads and you just cant have them.

you especially cant have them here when they are known to always get there way and completely steer the locker room.

because of our owner and the way he runs the organization we can not have questionable people here. its the reason I am starting to get optimistic about this year, we have good guys again like in 05. that was a close team that pulled for each other sans keyshawn. They were talented enough but what they forged that year coupled with some of the new guys in 06 fitting right into a good locker room sans owens we took off.

this could be like 05 again. Unfortunately ware, witten and romo are not young anymore so they dont have much time for team building years.....but it might be just that.

cant have bad guys or questionable guys though. We already have dez who does what he wants and that is more than enough for the staff to manage.

Jason Garrett is the next Landry though. He should have enough clout to get him to step into line and buy into the system...

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Well, since you're sure of it, it must not have happened.

Ive actually googled what ur saying and the only things that come up are articles of jerry answering questions of Felix jones availability after injuries. And theres plenty of articles of that

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Ive actually googled what ur saying and the only things that come up are articles of jerry answering questions of Felix jones availability after injuries. And theres plenty of articles of that

Then you need to keep looking.

Take your time.

Seriously.

Top Bottom