C

Cr122

Jacoby Jones: Newman contract holding up Cowboys' spending
The Cowboys are interested in free agent WR/KR Jacoby Jones, but currently do not have the cap space to make an offer.

Terence Newman's $6 million salary won't come off books until June 1, leaving the team with about $2.14 million in cap space in the meantime. This also means that the Cowboys will be unable to sign their 2012 rookie class until next month. If signed, Jones would be favored to beat out rookie Danny Coale for Dallas' vacant No. 3 wide receiver job. He'd also chip in on returns.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...328 60&spln=1

Reaction score
I'm not interested.

I'd really like to see Felix Jones as a primary kick returner.

Reaction score
He's a free agent on the streets in May, and we can't get him in here for less than $2.14 mil this year? Or am I reading that wrong?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I heard Norm lobbying for Gaffney last week, who despite his age has been much more productive than Jones.

Reaction score
Newman still haunts us.

newman1.jpg

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Adding that "Y" at the end of Jacob really changes the whole thing.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I am not sure what all the fuss is about from the fans on this.

Just like we gave laurent robinson a shot because he was big and long and fit the profile of the types of wr we like, big, long and can run..I see no reason why its a bad move to check out jones.

Jacoby jones is almost the same as robinson, he is actually bigger, more muscular..Runs a little better.

its a good move to take a chance at a guy like that, he knows the league and wont be expensive.

Robinson was cut 3 times and cut last year for guys in san diego who ended up with like no catches.

If you sign him and he comes in and plays well and returns punts/kicks I dont see what all the backlash is about.

He is not old, he is not slow and he is not a criminal.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Chipping in on returns may be understated a bit. I think that would be the primary role that they ask him to fill.

Sorry, Dwayne Harris.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Did you guys not see how this guy almost singlehandedly lost the Texans that playoff game against Baltimore by fumbling a punt away inside his own 10? Awful.

I'm all for a dependable vet Wr, but this guy is anything but that. This guy is tiny school, tons of physical ability, can't catch, unreliable. From what I understand he was kind of a pet project for years in Houston, and they finally had enough.

Just realized that makes him a perfect Jerry guy, though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jones has had a pretty decent few years. Looks like a quality kick and punt returner (alot of experience at both, and has 4 career return tds) and has caught 82 passes the past two seasons. Averaged an impressive 16.5yds per catch last yr.

Not really sure why anyone would complain about potentially adding him as comp for the 3rd WR spot, as well as taking over the return duties fulltime.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you guys not see how this guy almost singlehandedly lost the Texans that playoff game against Baltimore by fumbling a punt away inside his own 10? Awful.

This one time, in overtime of a road game at the Houston Oilers, Emmitt Smith fumbled with our team well in short FG range to win the game. We ended up losing. True story.

Reaction score

I'm all for a dependable vet Wr, but this guy is anything but that. This guy is tiny school, tons of physical ability, can't catch, unreliable. From what I understand he was kind of a pet project for years in Houston, and they finally had enough.

Just realized that makes him a perfect Jerry guy, though.

He's had tons of opportunities to step up, especially with Johnson injured for so many games this past season and his numbers did not improve at all. That's a huge red flag, even for a WR3.

But I do like how he hasnt signed yet and the homers are already calling him the next Emmitt Smith.

Hang the banner up in Cowboys Stadium right now.

Jacoby (no last name needed anymore):

All-Time Leading Everything in NFL History if he's a Cowboy

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's had tons of opportunities to step up, especially with Johnson injured for so many games this past season and his numbers did not improve at all. That's a huge red flag, even for a WR3.

But I do like how he hasnt signed yet and the homers are already calling him the next Emmitt Smith.

Hang the banner up in Cowboys Stadium right now.

Jacoby (no last name needed anymore):

All-Time Leading Everything in NFL History if he's a Cowboy

High quality post, props

Top Bottom