Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys DE Marcus Spears talked with Norm Hitzges on KTCK-AM 1310 in Dallas on Thursday. Here are some of the highlights:

On his future with the Cowboys:

I was a casualty of the system. I went in and played and still gave it all I had, and now this year I'm in limbo and waiting again. I'm real good friends with Jason Hatcher, and we're in the same position. Me and Hatch have been working out for the last 2 1/2 weeks, and we just talk about it. He just says, 'Man, that was so messed up what happened to you last year,' and I just keep telling him that's football. There's nowhere else where you can make $1.2 million in a year, so it's not all bad. But now you have the opporunity to go out on the maket, but you have to wait. It's been two years of waiting for me.

On getting tendered last season:

It stings your pride, I gotta be honest. I was always taught that you play with the cards you're dealt, especially in a situation where you have no control. I'm a firm believer that a person starts to go crazy when they try and control what others do. That's why you can't let the negative interfere with your job. I can't control the population of people that think I suck as a football player; there's not I can do. I also can't control the one's that think I'm good; I appreciate them, but there's nothing I can do.

On if the team quit on Wade Phillips last season:

I can't speak for individual guys that I know didn't. And to be honest, I was so focused on trying to get the ship righted, as far as myself, I had no indication that anyone quit, to be honest with you. Especially when you have problems, you're always trying to find ways to improve. Everyone was trying to do that; they were all trying to improve.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's rumored that the Texas will cut Okoye because he doesn't fit Wade's system. I wouldn't be surprised if Wade comes knocking for Spears.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm just glad we drafted Ware instead of him with our first pick in that draft and that we didn't draft Merriman. Jerry really came through in the draft...for once.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Good responses from him. He's a stand up guy. It's a complete failure on the part in the interviewer to not ask him to elaborate on what "a casualty of the system" meant. He's not talking about the defensive system, I don't think...he's talking about business.

C

Cr122

I can't speak for individual guys that I know didn't. And to be honest, I was so focused on trying to get the ship righted, as far as myself, I had no indication that anyone quit, to be honest with you. Especially when you have problems, you're always trying to find ways to improve. Everyone was trying to do that; they were all trying to improve.

You know God damn well, the team quit on Wade.

As soon as Jason took over it was a different team.

Reaction score
My interpretation was the business system, not the defensive scheme.

Spears is good. He's kind of the invisible man on defense, but we'd notice if we lost him. I like his attitude, realizing that 1.2 mil is still good money.

Hatcher can shoot himself in the face, on the other hand.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My interpretation was the business system, not the defensive scheme.

Spears is good. He's kind of the invisible man on defense, but we'd notice if we lost him. I like his attitude, realizing that 1.2 mil is still good money.

Hatcher can shoot himself in the face, on the other hand.

Hatcher hasn't done anything since coming here minus a few plays. He'll be gone.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You know God damn well, the team quit on Wade.

As soon as Jason took over it was a different team.

I still dont think they "quit", I think they knew with the lack of preparation and the substandard game plans, they didnt have a good chance with Wade anymore. But I dont think they completely quit.

It was a different team under Garrett because he prepared the team, made them pay attention and knew how to motivate guys.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hatcher hasn't done anything since coming here minus a few plays. He'll be gone.

I agree, I'd definitely rather keep Spears than Hatcher.

If it were me, I'd cut Olshansky and resign Bowen and Spears. Let Hatcher walk. I might look to add a middle ranged free agent DE as well.

I think Lissemore is going to end up playing quite a bit this yr at DE, and we definitely got a steal with Brent.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

If it were me, I'd cut Olshansky and resign Bowen and Spears. Let Hatcher walk. I might look to add a middle ranged free agent DE as well.

I think Lissemore is going to end up playing quite a bit this yr at DE, and we definitely got a steal with Brent.

I forgot about him. Whenever we drafted Ratliff for some reason I had a really good feeling about him and I feel the same way about Lissemore.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I forgot about him. Whenever we drafted Ratliff for some reason I had a really good feeling about him and I feel the same way about Lissemore.

Damn shame he got hurt last yr, he would have played quite a bit down the stretch.

Reaction score

I'd prefer that too, but I think it is going to be next to impossible to get both Bowen and Spears, cutting Igor likely won't be an option.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd prefer that too, but I think it is going to be next to impossible to get both Bowen and Spears, cutting Igor likely won't be an option.

I know, but one can dream

Honestly I'd be happy to trade Olshansky to Houston for a peanut butter & jelly sandwich...I just cant stand the guy

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys DE Marcus Spears talked with Norm Hitzges on KTCK-AM 1310 in Dallas on Thursday. Here are some of the highlights:

On his future with the Cowboys:

I was a casualty of the system. I went in and played and still gave it all I had, and now this year I'm in limbo and waiting again. I'm real good friends with Jason Hatcher, and we're in the same position. Me and Hatch have been working out for the last 2 1/2 weeks, and we just talk about it. He just says, 'Man, that was so messed up what happened to you last year,' and I just keep telling him that's football. There's nowhere else where you can make $1.2 million in a year, so it's not all bad. But now you have the opporunity to go out on the maket, but you have to wait. It's been two years of waiting for me.

On getting tendered last season:

It stings your pride, I gotta be honest. I was always taught that you play with the cards you're dealt, especially in a situation where you have no control. I'm a firm believer that a person starts to go crazy when they try and control what others do. That's why you can't let the negative interfere with your job. I can't control the population of people that think I suck as a football player; there's not I can do. I also can't control the one's that think I'm good; I appreciate them, but there's nothing I can do.

These guys are losers...Good grief...

Plymkr

Reaction score
Cut em both. Get some new blood in here. Both have had ample time to make a dent, neither has done shit.

Reaction score
I wont shed a tear if Spears and the bolshevik are gone...

If I had to make a choice on who would stay....it would be Spears without a blink.

Reaction score
These guys absolutely quit on Phillips. No doubt about it. Talk about prep work all you want, that is not a reflection of effort.

Top Bottom