icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
DallasCowboys.com Report

Thursday, Aug 02, 2018 09:40 AM

Mailbag: Surprise Players In Camp So Far?

We seem to have a log jam of starting caliber players at defensive end. Does it make sense to potentially put Tyrone Crawford back in the interior and sort out between Armstrong, Gregory, Lawrence, Charlton, Irving, and Tapper?

Bryan: I have been asked this question a bunch. I just don’t see them doing this unless things really get bad at tackle with the rotation. They really like what Crawford brings at that end spot when it comes to playing the run consistently and providing some pass rush.

Rob: It’s a thought, because the tackle depth is thin right now, but I don’t think that’s the current plan. Maybe we see Crawford moving inside in certain packages, but he had a solid year at end for them last year.

Who in practices so far have surprised you so far with how they have played (good and bad)?

Bryan: I did not give Deonte Thompson enough credit as a receiver. I think he’s been outstanding. I am surprised that Kony Ealy hasn’t shown up better. These first few practices have not been as productive and has made me think here initially that he’ll have trouble making the squad.

Rob: I thought Byron Jones could play corner, but I didn’t think he’d be arguably the best defender in camp this early. Rookie quarterback Mike White has had flashes, but there have been times where it looks like he’s processing things too much. Maybe things slow down as we go here.

Play That Sourcey Music White Boy:
Mailbag: Surprise Players In Camp So Far?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
DT Brian Price has apparently looked really good so far. I was surprised at how big he's listed at on the website (6'3, 318) as I don't recall him being that big when we signed him out of college. IIRC he had a rep for making a lot of plays behind the LOS in college.

Supposedly yesterday he gave Fred a bunch of problems in pass rush stuff and Fred yielded no sacks last yr.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
RG3 getting significant snaps tonight, doesnt get much better than that!

wonder if Dak will follow in his footsteps

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

So coach Richard wears cleats to practice and is pretty well involved in the practices. So much so that he even had an INT in practice today

I like this guy! Say hello to our new head coach for 2019!

Reaction score
So coach Richard wears cleats to practice and is pretty well involved in the practices. So much so that he even had an INT in practice today

I like this guy! Say hello to our new head coach for 2019!

Shit, he's already more productive with ints than the combined efforts of the Legion of Boobs a few of those leaner years.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
While there’s some love going around for Jarwin as the most complete tight end in the group, right now this is a weak spot for the Cowboys. Jarwin has smooth route-running skills and is a capable blocker, but he has dropped a few opportunities.

More and more, it’s looking like Dallas will de-emphasize the position as the offense evolves. Make no mistake though, through the early going Jarwin is standing out as the clear favorite to be Jason Witten’s replacement. Dallas entered the season with no experience outside of Geoff Swaim, who has been disappointing. In fact, with Swaim and Gathers failing to impress, it’s feeling more and more like Dallas will have to find a tight end sometime before Week 1.
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ys-5-movers-and-shakers-2018-training-camp/5/
A couple thoughts here: First they may de-emphasize a position due to lack of talent, which makes those whiffs on TEs in the draft look even worse. Second, I dont feel that throwing downfield is Dak's strength (though it needs to be) and he seemed to perform better with a TE safety valve. Apparently they are going to try and divy up Witten's possessions by getting Austin and Beasley in space ala NE?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Based on the officiating of new rules I saw last night, we're in for the worst year of professional football ever.

Goodell just absolutely sux ass. Everything he touches ruins the league more and more. Cant believe these idiot owners continue to support him.

ratings are going to plunge even more after fans get a few weeks of this garbage in them.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
former cowboys player whose roster spot has since been anchored by jeff heathgoat:

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
MMMMMMOTHERFU-----

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Friday, Aug 03, 2018 11:55 AM

Scout’s Notebook: Lenoir Keeps Impressing
pqcpdcxfyob4nsor1sjc.jpgpqcpdcxfyob4nsor1sjc.jpgpqcpdcxfyob4nsor1sjc.jpg
Bryan Broaddus
YOU BEAUTIFUL FAT BALD SONOFABITCH FOOTBALL ANALYST/SCOUT

ssx5q3caasbtvboopfdd.jpg

OXNARD, Calif. – For the second time this week, the Cowboys have an off day.

We’ll see two practices over the weekend, but for the time being we’re stuck waiting for some more action.

In the meantime, though, there was plenty of stuff worth writing about from Thursday night’s practice. Not everything has been pretty to this point in camp – it’s never going to be. But I have to say, I have been impressed by the sheer effort level on both sides of the ball. These have been competitive practices, and that was no different on Thursday evening.

Here are my notes from the field:

• Lance Lenoir continues to make a case for a spot on this roster. He is practicing well and the coaches are rewarding him with more snaps with the first team. Lenoir made a spectacular reception during the goal line period tracking a ball that ended up above his head and pulling it down behind Anthony Brown. As the ball was coming down, I thought Brown was going to be able to rip it out of Lenoir’s hands but he managed to get both feet down and cradle it into his body.
  • Rod Smith is a large man that plays with little man feet. He put a serious move on Damien Wilson to buy some space in the red zone. Smith sold an outside move to Wilson and he bought it all the way. Once Smith felt Wilson’s weight shift, he burst to the inside for an easy pitch and catch for Cooper Rush.
  • Haven’t got to talk about Duke Thomas much during this camp, but on Thursday he gave me a reason to. Thomas was able to go up with Marchie Murdock in the corner of the end zone and just as Murdock was securing the ball, Thomas pulled it out with his right hand, preventing the touchdown.
  • I always judge cornerbacks by their ability to defend routes that break to the inside. Tavon Austin executed a beautiful slant release that put Byron Jones in a bad spot off the jump. Somehow, Jones rallied to get to Austin’s hip and began to squeeze him when he saw the ball heading his direction. Staying off Austin’s back, Jones was able to reach around him and knock the ball down with his right hand.
  • Much better job by La’el Collins using his hands during the pass rush period. Where he has been having problems is they have been all over the place on the rusher and it has hurt him with his control. The offensive line is now learning how to take on rushers with a high/low hand technique, and I thought this was the first day where things came together for Collins in that regard.
  • Marqueston Huff had a chance to get the defense off the field during 7-on-7 but just couldn’t secure the interception from Cooper Rush. Huff played the ball well by driving underneath Blake Jarwin and put himself in position but just couldn’t get the finish that he needed.
  • Marquez White showed really good awareness of not getting sucked inside by all the routes in front of him. White stood his ground in the zone and when Rod Smith tried to leak out in the route, he was able to carry him up the sideline. Cooper Rush tried to come back late in his direction, but White was right there to knock the ball away from Smith as he was trying to bring it down.
  • Nice vision and cut by Bo Scarbrough behind a block from Dustin Stanton to find some space in the second level. Scarbrough finished the run by lowering his right shoulder into Tre’von Johnson, knocking him to the ground as he continued the run. I expect that we will see more of those types of runs when we get into these games.
  • Things had been sailing along nicely for Dan Bailey in camp, but Thursday he had a couple of misses. The first one I initially thought might have been a problem with the snap or hold but that just wasn’t the case. Chris Jones put the ball down with the laces out. Bailey just came across it a little strong and pulled it left from the right hash. The second miss again was a good snap and hold but instead of pulling it, he hit it dead straight and it stayed right there outside the upright.
  • Interesting that Trey Williams was working as the primary kickoff return man Thursday morning but was later released to make room for defensive end Joby Saint Fleur. With Williams out the mix that means we will likely see Jourdan Lewis and Tavon Austin take over the role until the staff figures out how they want to handle things going forward. Williams was also on the punt return group working with Austin and Duke Thomas.

DDdave

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Well that just sucks!! Joe and Troy might be the worst pairing in NFL broadcast history.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
LOL at those personnel guru's at IdiotZone

Thread dedicated to "the RB nobody is talking about" and how much of a secret weapon he was.

Day later Trey Williams gets released.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
For those that have NFLN, the Cowboys games vs San Fran next Thursday and then the following Saturday vs Cinci are both being broadcast live. The 3rd preseason game vs Arizona (the tune-up game where the starters will get their most preseason playing time) will be on live nationally on NBC

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Defense gets best of offense in goal-line work

OXNARD, Calif. – For eight plays, real football broke out at Dallas Cowboys training camp.

Almost.

Ezekiel Elliott and a few starters were not involved in the goal-line situational work Saturday, but there was live blocking and tackling for the first and only time in camp.

The defense got the edge, holding the fort on the first-team offense in three of four reps. Bo Scarbrough powered his way into the end zone on the first play from scrimmage following Pro Bowl right guard Zack Martin, but the defense was able to force a Dak Prescott incompletion on a bootleg and then stone Scarbrough in the hole two more times.

The second-team defense got two stops off the bat, but then Cooper Rush found fullback Jamize Olawale in the flat and Jordan Chunn snuck into the end zone on a run to the left.

“Goal line, we got stuffed a couple times, so we’re going to have to look at that,” Martin said, “but short-yardage was definitely better than goal line … It’s a little taste of the game. We don’t get many opportunities during the season at that situation, so those reps are huge for us.”

On to the observations:

** Perhaps for the first time in his career, Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick got into a scuffle in practice. Apparently DT Antwaun Woods did not like something Frederick said during one on one pass rush drills. “I don’t know what happened,” Frederick said. “Things get hot and heated. It can be a good thing because you want to tote that line at all times.”

Martin, however, went all WWE, looking like he came off the top rope, jumping on the pile.

“I got some air I think, didn’t I?” Martin said.

** In the last three competitive 11 on 11 sessions of the last two practices, Dak Prescott has nine straight incompletions. He closed Thursday’s practice by going 0-for-6 and was 0-for-3 on passes short and deep to WR Cole Beasley and then a low throw to Michael Gallup. Through six padded practices, Prescott is 58 of 78 in camp.

Prescott’s best play of the day came in the short yardage work on a bootleg to his right. He lured LB Joe Thomas to him at full sprint to find TE Blake Jarwin for the first down near the sideline with a little pop pass.

** Martin was right on the short-yardage work to start practice. Elliott was sharp, busting through the line behind Frederick and Connor Williams for a first down. He then went up the middle getting to the hole before S Jeff Heath. He closed it by a zone read look and putting a move on S Xavier Woods.

** If there was a defensive player of the day it would have been undrafted CB Charvarius Ward. He intercepted Prescott on a deep ball to Gallup in one on one drills, catching back up to the play on the slightly underthrown ball. He broke up a deep ball from Rush to Lance Lenoir and then closed it out with by forcing Tavon Austin close to the sideline on a go route, leaving Rush without an avenue to throw the ball.

** The most impressive part of the aforementioned deep throw to Beasley in situational work from Prescott? Seeing LB Jaylon Smith stride for stride with the speedy receiver.

** CB Chido Awuzie left practice during seven on seven work with some kind of leg/groin injury, but I’m told he is OK. After the play, Awuzie jogged off the field with a slight limp. After practice he said he was getting treatment.

** WR Noah Brown (hamstring) returned to practice. WR Allen Hurns worked through some individual drills. WR Deonte Thompson and LB Sean Lee worked through the resistance training with associate athletic trainer Britt Brown. DEs Taco Charlton (shoulder) and Charles Tapper (sick) also returned to practice.

** DE Tyrone Crawford was upset with getting beat by LT Tyron Smith in pass rush drills to start camp but he gained revenge Saturday, turning the Pro Bowler around much to the delight of his defensive teammates. Crawford was able to get up field and get back under Smith with some power.

https://www.facebook.com/toddarcherNFLNation/posts/1819112201500915

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Chido Awuzie apparently has a knee injury. Being held out now and may miss some time. Clapper says the usual "day to day" and we all know what that means.

Top Bottom