dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mayock said Vander Esch was the best zone drop LB he's scouted since Luke Kuechly.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Any word on LVE’s football smarts?

He came from a small 8 man HS team, then was walk on, one year starter in college

His wonderlick score was 24 so he’s not a dummy like some of these guys we have drafted in the past.

I just hope he attaches himself to Sean Lee and learns from him quickly

What we need is someone with Sean Lees smarts and commitment to film study who isn’t made of glass

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys

Picks: Boise State LB Leighton Vander Esch (No. 19 overall), Texas OG Connor Williams (No. 50 overall), Colorado State WR Michael Gallup (No. 81 overall), Kansas DE Dorance Armstrong (No. 116 overall), Stanford TE Dalton Schultz (No. 137 overall), Western Kentucky QB Mike White (No. 171 overall), Indiana LB Chris Covington (No. 193 overall), Boise State WR Cedrick Wilson (No. 208 overall), Alabama RB Bo Scarbrough (No. 236 overall).

Day 1 grade: A-
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A-

Summary: Vander Esch is a talented off-the-ball linebacker who can move on the outside and slip tackles inside to find the ball. The Cowboys needed to bolster the position, but should they have found a pass-catcher here instead given their dire need at the position and having their pick of the best? It's a good pick -- if his neck truly is not a problem. Williams will likely play guard for the Cowboys. He'll join a nasty group up front and has the talent to make Pro Bowls. They found a future starter at receiver with Gallup. His progress as a rookie will have a large effect on how the passing offense performs in 2018. Jason Witten's expected retirement forced the team to find a tight end, and Schultz should be a move-the-chains guy for years to come. White was picked up in the fifth round to be a strong backup to Dak Prescott, but he has starter qualities. Covington is another coverage linebacker with great potential as a special-teamer, as well. Scarbrough struggled to become "the man" at Alabama, but he'll be a worthwhile seventh-round pick if he can lower his pads and run hard consistently. The trade with the Raiders to acquire Jihad Ward at defensive tackle met the only need left on their board.

Source: News - Around the NFL - NFL.com

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But seriously, there's really very little to bitch about with our haul. Nothing to drive ya wild either, but overall it's pretty darned okay.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Other than it isnt good enough to overcome bad coaching.
I'm almost convinced that doesn't exist.

Troy and the core group did it last time we won a SB, but that was an extremely special group of players who overcame Switzer.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
No safeties or big bodies for the D-line (unless you count the turd we got for Switzer). That's my biggest disappointment.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No safeties or big bodies for the D-line (unless you count the turd we got for Switzer). That's my biggest disappointment.
We've still never replaced Woody. Or ever even come close to it.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I guess they are standing pat on our safety situation with Heath, Frazier, and Woods

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess they are standing pat on our safety situation with Heath, Frazier, and Woods

They hang on to Heath and Gregory like grim death yet Switzer's gone in less than a year.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I actually don’t mind Heath

If it wasn’t for Heath (and a folded index card) we would have lost the Raider game last year. He made the game saving play on Carr at the goal line

He seems to make a few huge plays at the right time each season

Do I want to count on him at safety? Absolutely not. But.....

He also helped out as our back up kicker in the Niners game. How can we let talent like that slip through our fingers? LoL

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If it wasn’t for Heath (and a folded index card) we would have lost the Raider game
The folded index card indicated we did NOT make the first down that was being measured. So, it's the idiot official's inability to tell what his folded index card actually proved, not any play we made, which gave us that first down.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They hang on to Heath and Gregory like grim death yet Switzer's gone in less than a year.

Gregory would be gone if he were counting anything towards the roster or the cap. Right now he is neither.

Heath is not the worst player in the league. He probably should not be a starting safety (and might not be after this training camp) but he is nice depth and a quality special teams guy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Not so sure about that. The Cowboys show yesterday intimated they may revisit some of the available free agents, and that they might tray again sometime before preseason ends on Earl Thomas as well.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just saw an article about the TE Dallas Goedert that PHI jumped ahead of us to take.

Apparently PHI fans have started a go fund me page for him to change his name from Dallas Goedert to Philly Goedert because they hate that his first name is Dallas

LOL
Fucking retarded PHI fans

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm almost convinced that doesn't exist.

Troy and the core group did it last time we won a SB, but that was an extremely special group of players who overcame Switzer.

Switzer was not nowheres as bad as Garrett. Switzer had the sense to let the assitants do they thing. Switzer didn't try to fix what wasn't broken. So there was really no bad coaching to overcome.

Top Bottom