Reaction score
Special Edition: A Look Back At 2014 | Dallas Cowboys

Dallas has turned into a spin zone and I do think that Jason has a lot to do with the new control of the media. If you look at the review of the 2014 season there is one fake handoff and one TD and no mention at all of DeMarco Murray. Single handedly DeMarco changed the team. No one has had that amount of yards or 100 yard games and yards from scrimmage but somehow there is this posturing that DeMarco was not all that important. There is just too much de-emphasis of the most important cog in the offense that was on the 8-8 teams but never used like last year. Jerry said at the beginning of last year that they were going to run the ball more to protect Romo. Suddenly the team is 12-4 but the coach will not admit that the running game that has been there all along was the reason for success. The fact is, Jason wants his system, as predictable and stupid as it is, to no be questioned. He says he emulates Mike Krzyzewski but Mike will regularly draw up a game specific play to win a game or when the team is just not clicking he changes the strategy. Jason does none of that. He just calls the same play and tells the team to play better. (By the way on the Packer/Dez playoff play when Dunbar and Beasley went into the slot, was Dom Capers concerned and pulled his team back into coverage? Nope, he immediately blitzed. Not scared of the same play he had seen all day and knew what Jason would do). Is Jason relentless? Yes. Will keep pushing a failing coaching approach but will launch into lectures about how his plan is still working toward the goal. What is the goal?

The worst part of the video but the most telling of how bad a situation is with Jason Garrett is he says that of all the championship Dallas teams who are featured in the building that he has been on, the current team is nothing like them. The current team tries hard and responds well, blah blah blah, but who cares about how positive and tenacious the team is, if they are not winning, what is the use of all this behavioral and character conditioning. Jason has just taught them how to be optimistic when they lose but has no idea how to force them to win.

Shut up and win.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
:WOOT

Confirms a great deal of what I have been saying. Last year was a aberration mostly due to Tony's back - which if you'll all remember Dallas spent the entire offseason, training camp and preseason lying to us about.

Also telling in the video: Garrett telling the team immediately after the GB loss to "forget 2014" and going on to say how much different this next season will be, with people gone and the approach changing.

The approach won't be changing, it will be reverting. This is why they said drafting a RB was not a big priority for them, and hence why none were drafted. Because running the ball will NOT be a big priority for them, with a ostensibly healthy Romo.

Of course, we shall see.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I mean, listen to what they SAY.

Just now on NFL Network, Stephen was asked about life without Murray. Edited for brevity and to get rid of all the umm, ahh, and mealy mouth crap they all utter trying to sound intelligent, he said "like everybody else we have 3 good backs we can rely on for the running game... and one in Joe Randall that if need be, can carry more load if he has to."

Need be. If he has to. This means a featured back is NOT in the plans unless we get Tony stove up (That's the need, that's if we have to but we really don't want to) and the rest of it, "like everybody else we have three" sounds pretty much like it's RB by committee and running is not a emphasized part of the offense anymore.

That sure is how this sounds, to me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He also said they were going to run the football and that was the identity of the team.

Reaction score
he didnt mean that part

you cant just listen to what they say, you have to listen to what they say in between the things they say to find out what they mean

we will pass the ball 80% of the time

Reaction score
I'm confident that as long as Linehan is in control of the offense, we will run a lot.

He knows why Jerry brought him here.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson was preaching a positive attitude in exactly the same way that Jason does, back in 1989 when they went 1-15.

He wasn't pissed or threatening or worried about the team's direction, he was trying to incorporate the attitude that no matter the score, won loss record, or division standings, you played hard each and every play. He was encouraging his defense even when they were getting slaughtered.

If anyone here thinks it was Jason Garrett's idea that Murray be offered an insult of a contract by the Cowboys then you are greatly mistaken. Garrett knew what he was contributing, you heard it all season long.

Jason Garrett is a team player when it comes to Cowboy management. When have you ever heard of him complaining to the media about some player or coach decision, do you think he agrees with them all? Just because he doesn't bitch doesn't mean he agrees with everything that is happening.

I think he gets most of what he wants and drafting Murray was definitely one of them, he fit Garrett's profile for the type of player he wanted perfectly. He was highly productive in college, he was a leader, and he did well academically.

Jason's new control of the media, my ass! When is Jerry Jones ever going to play second fiddle to his coach. Never! Jason Garrett would prefer it that way because he doesn't give a shit about the media and what they think or have to say. Its been comical the way a reporter will ask Jason a question and then link it with a specific perspective. Jason will smile and say, "Yeah, that's it."

And as far as forcing the team to win....excuse me, but his record of 41-31gives him a pretty significant winning percentage. He won his 1st playoff game, barely lost his 2nd.

Who is supposed to be the guy that would have been a better choice for Cowboy Head Coach. Keep in mind that every Super Bowl was won by a team coached by someone that started their NFL Head Coaching career with the Cowboys.

Reaction score
The list of "who would've been a better choice for coach" is long but you've got your head so far up Garrett's ass it isn't even worth 'arguing.'

You're a shill for Garrett, and your excuses and blind adoration for the guy is embarrassing to read.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He also said they were going to run the football and that was the identity of the team.

That is until it doesn't work as well as last year and then we go back to the pass. I can easily see Linehan doing what he did his last year in Detroit, dumping the ball off more to the backs if the running game struggles.

Unless this line, which I absolutely love by the way, is even better than their press clippings, we will have a tough time establishing the tempo and rhythm that we had with Murray by juggling a bunch of players in and out. A back has to learn cohesiveness with the line just as the line has to know what the back is going to do. That comes with practice. It took Murray a couple of years to get it. He looked like he got it in 2013 (see the Packer game).

Reaction score
That is until it doesn't work as well as last year and then we go back to the pass. I can easily see Linehan doing what he did his last year in Detroit, dumping the ball off more to the backs if the running game struggles.

Unless this line, which I absolutely love by the way, is even better than their press clippings, we will have a tough time establishing the tempo and rhythm that we had with Murray by juggling a bunch of players in and out. A back has to learn cohesiveness with the line just as the line has to know what the back is going to do. That comes with practice. It took Murray a couple of years to get it. He looked like he got it in 2013 (see the Packer game).

I don't think it takes a couple years for a back to get comfortable with the line, but I absolutely agree about needing to get rythem in game. And I don't think the RB by committee will be near as successful as what we had last year.

Just the threat of Murray opened up the pass game.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't think it takes a couple years for a back to get comfortable with the line, but I absolutely agree about needing to get rythem in game. And I don't think the RB by committee will be near as successful as what we had last year.

Just the threat of Murray opened up the pass game.

Absolutely. He basically was averaging nearly five yards a pop on first down. It made defenses loosen up.

I think it will be a while and will take some plays from our backs to get that same level of respect.

Reaction score
They likely won't. I know randles 6.7 in spot duty gets everyone excited. But IIRC he broke a couple long runs on 3rd and way longs, where defenses didn't care about the run so much.

Plus Troy Hambrick averaged over 5ypc as a back up.

I hope he's good. I just doubt he is. Doesn't se to have thee tall make up to be great.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
You guys were wrong last year. You're wrong this year. Do you expect the team to say, "Woe is me, we lost Demarco"? Next man up.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Randle, McFadden and Dunbar are all pretty good receivers.

Honestly I don't care what they do as long as they score 28+ pts a game

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
You guys were wrong last year. You're wrong this year. Do you expect the team to say, "Woe is me, we lost Demarco"? Next man up.

They're too depressed to care.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They're too depressed to care.
Never confuse cynicism with "depression."

Why any of you trust Jerruh, or Ginger, and are buying in and believing - is another form of mental illness not related to depression.

Reaction score
I'm just taking a wait and see approach. Not optimistic, not pessimistic, not cynical. I was way wrong about last year, but I'm not about to get in a rosy, all is well, mindset. There are questions. Maybe not as many as I had going into last year, but they are there.

Top Bottom