NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't think anyone should be getting worked up over this move.

To me, it's exactly what the contract says it is... Which is a low risk vet option.

As for McFadden, it's hard to judge him fairly. There's no doubt he's been a bust but he's never fully healthy and has been playing in Oakland, one of the shittiest franchises over the last decade.

Worst case we cut him. Best case he's a solid vet backup and receiving threat from the backfield.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I agree, it's nothing to be upset about. It's not like they held a presser, announcing McFadden as their new franchise RB.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I agree, it's nothing to be upset about. It's not like they held a presser, announcing McFadden as their new franchise RB.

He is an Eddie George re-run. There is younger, better options IMO.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Which hopefully will come in the draft. i agree.

But on the cheap like this? Nothing to bitch about. Dude was the fourth pick overall, in his draft class. Went to the black hole of fail known as Oakland.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
You guys remember when Moss sucked in Oakland, then he went to the Patriots and was great?

This McFadden thing is going to be just like that, only he's still going to be aweful.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
I still think it's the first one. Everyone in the local media has been saying what geniuses Steve and Will and Garrett are for a long time now, and I think they've all bought it. They think they'll just draft more players like Fred and Martin and even Bruce Carter, and boom, we're good. But nobody hits on all their picks, I don't care who they are.

Plus Steve has always given off an extreme arrogant vibe to me. As much as I hated Jerry's crap, Steve might be almost as bad, just in a different way.

I just don't get what is the point of having cap space in the first place if it isn't to acquire good players to win Superbowls. We have maybe two more years of good Romo. You don't get any medals for having good cap situations.

BINGO

I don't think it was a big miss in Murray. i do think it was the wise choice but we restructured Tyron. We have some space. Use it now because Romo could potentially spoon fed by week 6 of next season

The window is now

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

In the draft hopefully. I do not think the Cowboys are planning on going into the 2015 season with McFadden as the starter. I'd rather go with Randal.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
You guys remember when Moss sucked in Oakland, then he went to the Patriots and was great?

This McFadden thing is going to be just like that, only he's still going to be aweful.

if this precluded them from pursuing a RB in the draft, I'd be pissed, but I don't think they're that delusional. but spending a premium pick on a RB will hurt us on the other side of the ball.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
if this precluded them from pursuing a RB in the draft, I'd be pissed, but I don't think they're that delusional. but spending a premium pick on a RB will hurt us on the other side of the ball.

they've apparently been focusing on RB's in the draft since the start of the scouting season...I would think its a near lock an early picks is spent on a RB

and drafting a really good RB doesnt really "hurt" us on the other side of the ball...having a good RB enhances our ability to keep our defense off the field

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
they've apparently been focusing on RB's in the draft since the start of the scouting season...I would think its a near lock an early picks is spent on a RB

and drafting a really good RB doesnt really "hurt" us on the other side of the ball...having a good RB enhances our ability to keep our defense off the field

so why weren't we in the SB last year? oh right, a severely hobbled QB facing little to no pass rush raped our secondary. playing "keep away" only gets you so far.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
If they draft a running back instead of a defensive starter the first two rounds, I'll be a mad MFer.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
If they draft a running back instead of a defensive starter the first two rounds, I'll be a mad MFer.

Hate to say it but because we lost Murray and didn't pick up Ingram I think we have to spend one of the first two picks on a RB. I don't like that idea but at this point we don't really have much of a choice.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

This drast is deep at RB. No reason to use a 1st on one. Get one in the 2nd or even 3rd or 4th.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I don't get this either. So we cannot draft defense in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Hate to say it but because we lost Murray and didn't pick up Ingram I think we have to spend one of the first two picks on a RB. I don't like that idea but at this point we don't really have much of a choice.

What would be ideal is to use the 1st and 3rd on defense and RB in the 2nd... or 1st and 2nd on defense and RB in the 3rd.

Reaction score
I think we all realize that we need to pick a RB in the first 4 rounds. Whether we pick one in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th is all just going to depend on who's available when we are on the clock. I definitely don't want this team getting married to the idea of taking a Gurley or Gordon and feel like they have to trade up or some dumb shit. And if there's a stud DT still on the board when we pick at 27, I'll be upset if we trade down trying to angle toward getting a RB in the top of the 2nd or something.

If we do think the draft is a deep one for RB, let the draft come to you. Draft BPA either RB or defense at 27... then do the same in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Take a RB somewhere in there, when you have one that isn't a huge reach.

We've shown a little ability in taking LBs in middle rounds like Hitchens, Lee, to some extent Carter... We've shown we can take a 3rd rounder in Murray and make him a player. Demarcus Lawrence looks like a player who we got in the 2nd round... The last thing you want to do in the draft is panic and take a 2nd or 3rd round graded RB in the first just because Gurley and Gordon are gone.

Top Bottom