Reaction score
Cowboys' words after CT scan suggest Romo suffered more than contusion
DAVID MOORE Staff Writer dmoore@dallasnews.com
Published: 29 October 2014 07:15 PM
Updated: 30 October 2014 01:57 AM

IRVING — Raise your hand if you thought Tony Romo would play every snap of every game.

How many of you were convinced that a quarterback unable to practice more than four consecutive days in training camp, one who skips the Wednesday practice leading up to games to concentrate on core exercises to strengthen his back, would sail through the regular season without an issue?

Romo’s health is an overriding theme to this season. The only question was when it would significantly impact the Cowboys’ preparation for a game.

The answer is Week 9 against Arizona.

The quarterback’s status for Sunday’s game is uncertain as he deals with back pain from an undisclosed injury. That puts the spotlight on backup Brandon Weeden, who could make his first start in a Cowboys uniform.

Owner Jerry Jones said whether Romo plays depends on how much pain he can tolerate. Romo said it has more to do with his ability to function.

“If it turns out to be just the pain tolerance, I will play,” Romo said. “That part has never been an issue. But you’ve got to wait to see.

“It will be about your ability to be productive in some fashion. That part of it, we will continue to evaluate.”

What’s the definition of functional at Valley Ranch?

“You’ll probably have to ask Webster,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “I would define it as being able to perform and function the job required.

“The nature of this game is that guys are always in different situations physically throughout a game, throughout a season. Is everyone 100 percent? You can probably go in that locker room and say no one is 100 percent.

“That’s the nature of our game and the nature of football players around this league.”

Romo was knocked out of Monday night’s game in the third quarter on a sack by Washington linebacker Keenan Robinson. The quarterback had X-rays, took a shot to mask the pain and was cleared to return for the team’s final two possessions.

The injury was initially reported as a back contusion. Since then, Romo has undergone a CT scan and had additional consultations with doctors and the Cowboys’ training staff. Club officials skirt questions about what was found — all Garrett will say is that the injury “came from physical contact” — but no one is calling it a contusion.

That suggests the injury is more significant.

“I don’t want to get into specifics about what it is,” said Romo, who did divulge the injury is not to a disk or related to his previous two back surgeries. “It will be something you’ll look at each day, figure out a way to manage it and go from there.

“It has nothing to do with back surgery or anything like that. It could have happened years ago and it would have been the same thing. It’s part of playing football.”

Fans were likely lured into a false sense of security during the Cowboys’ six-game winning streak.

Romo was playing at such a high level — Jones said the second half in the win over the New York Giants may have been the best he’s ever seen the quarterback play — that concerns about his health were pushed into the background.

But Romo has always been only one awkward twist or direct hit away from injury. That’s the reality of anyone coming off back surgery. Garrett is better equipped to deal with this ambiguity than most.

“It's like with any player,” Garrett said. “Is he available to practice? No. Who is? Let's get that guy ready to go.

“What's his availability as the week goes on? Maybe he can practice tomorrow. OK, good.”

Weeden already receives more snaps with the starters than most backups due to Romo’s practice routine. He’s the quarterback the club is currently preparing to play against Arizona.

“He did a nice job,” Garrett said of Weeden’s performance against Washington. “I thought he had poise and composure, ran the offense, handled himself in the huddle, at the line of scrimmage, made good decisions, made good throws, led us on a couple of scoring drives.”

Weeden must attack the week as if he’ll start. But he knows it will be Romo who takes the field Sunday if he improves.

What is Romo looking for to determine if he’ll be able to play against the Cardinals?

“At a certain point there needs to be a shift in the way you feel that shows you’re able to do the fundamental things that need to get done,” Romo said. “From there, you need to get the doctor’s clearance.

“You take those steps and go.”

Reaction score
I can't imagine he'll be very effective if he doesn't take some practice reps this week. If he can't manage to get the back at least loosened up all week, sit him. And if he sits this week, might as well sit him vs. Jacksonville, hope we go 1-1 and get through the bye at 7-3. Hopefully Romo is fully healthy for the last 6.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
With the CT scan, wonder if they were looking at a cracked vertebra like Bryce Petty had, or a damaged organ. Maybe a kidney?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I can't imagine he'll be very effective if he doesn't take some practice reps this week. If he can't manage to get the back at least loosened up all week, sit him. And if he sits this week, might as well sit him vs. Jacksonville, hope we go 1-1 and get through the bye at 7-3. Hopefully Romo is fully healthy for the last 6.
Think back to week 1, that's likely the Romo we're gonna have if he plays.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Scary thought is, they don't appear to be activating Dustin Vaughan... Which means if Tony plays but then can't go, you don't have a backup for Weeden. I am sure there is a "emergency backup" designated, but no idea who that would be.

Reaction score
If the Cowboys even try to have Romo play this week vs the Crapinals, they are totally clueless and deserve to lose.

They should have left Weeden finish the game last Monday.

I dont like to admit it, but I have little faith in this organization any more.

They keep demonstrating a lack of common sense with their haphazard decisions. :facepalm

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

agree 100%

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Scary thought is, they don't appear to be activating Dustin Vaughan... Which means if Tony plays but then can't go, you don't have a backup for Weeden. I am sure there is a "emergency backup" designated, but no idea who that would be.

Vaughan is on the active roster...if Romo doesn't go he'd be inactive and Vaughan active as the backup

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Vaughan is on the active roster...if Romo doesn't go he'd be inactive and Vaughan active as the backup
Vaughan is on the 53, but he has not been active or ever dressed. They can activate him on game day?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yep, if Romo can't go he'll be inactive and Vaughan will be up.
So, if they go so far as suited out and ready for kickoff, if Romo then suddenly decides he can't go, we send Vaughan to the DR to suit up? Or must this decision be made before that? I don't know how it works, being on the 53 but not active for the game, is there a deadline?

If Romo starts then gets hurt, you can't then activate someone can you?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No, I think it's 30 mins before the game or something that the inactive list is announced.

Most likely Vaughan is preparing 100% as if Tony won't play. If he can at the last second, he'll be down. They wouldn't have Tony active and make him a backup -- he'll either start or be inactive altogether.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No, I think it's 30 mins before the game or something that the inactive list is announced.

Most likely Vaughan is preparing 100% as if Tony won't play. If he can at the last second, he'll be down. They wouldn't have Tony active and make him a backup -- he'll either start or be inactive altogether.
So that if Tony starts, then gets hurt, we have only one backup QB and I assume, a "emergency" QB like Tom had with Preston Pearson.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well, I think if Romo plays there's a good chance they make Vaughn active anyway. Surely they wouldn't risk Romo going out after one good hit and only having one QB.

I'm not sure why they changed that emergency QB rule where the 3rd guy can automatically play if the first two guys get hurt, but I think they did a year or two ago.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Surely they wouldn't risk Romo going out after one good hit and only having one QB.
Just like, surely they wouldn't pull the backup QB after he just led us on two scoring drives and put a obviously hurt Romo back in.

I don't trust these idiots to do anything that requires common sense.

Top Bottom