Reaction score
David Moore ‏@DavidMooreDMN 3h ago

Cowboys QB Tony Romo says ability to play Sunday isn't about pain tolerance. It's about functioning.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Watching the replay last night, I'm almost surprised he got hurt as badly as he did. The guy's knee hit right on that pad he wears.

Maybe that pad doesn't really do much?
If you've ever gutted a fish, then you know what they did to Tony's lower back. Incision, clamps holding the hole open, resulting tissue and muscle damage is deep and takes a LONG time to actually heal. The pad might help the outer suture scar which I have no doubt is still tender too, but the deep inner tissues would definitely be hurt by a hard knee hit, pad or no pad.

The fact that Tony is so heavily flak jacketed and custom padded, and has been missing practices too before this - should tell everyone his back is still vulnerable. That stuff isn't there just out of a abundance of caution.

Statistically, fewer than 10% of people undergoing this same procedure ever achieve the degree of mobility and functionality they once had before the surgery. So IMO Tony's a medical miracle in this regard.

Reaction score
I know this is a huge game with major playoff implications, but we need to sit him for a week or two.

Backs aren't something to play with.

We've built enough equity with our first half record, and our second half schedule is weak enough to go a week without him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If he doesn't play Sunday he shouldn't even make the trip to London either. Just sit him till after the bye.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yea, why risk it, sit him for a couple games but you know Tony won't do that unless he knows for sure he can't play.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Serious question- if Romo plays Sunday and looks bad, what do you think happens?

I don't think there's anyway Jones lets Garrett & Linehan take Romo out of the game if he is saying he can play, regardless of how he looks.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Serious question- if Romo plays Sunday and looks bad, what do you think happens?

I don't think there's anyway Jones lets Garrett & Linehan take Romo out of the game if he is saying he can play, regardless of how he looks.

I think you're probably right. Garrett isn't going to get to make the call on whether he plays or not, especially regarding performance.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

If that happens do you even put him on the plane to London?

Or do you give him and his back 3 weeks off?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't know why some people (dbair) think Garrett would play Weeden if Jerry weren't handcuffing him again. As inappropriate as it was for Jerry to be down there delivering the news, what evidence is there that Garrett doesn't want Tony in there just as much as anyone?

And I'm probably a bigger Weeden believer than anyone, but come on. Romo is the franchise. He's carried this team and Garrett's bumbling ginger ass to a ton of wins it didn't deserve and nobody realizes that more than Garrett himself. Why do you think Garrett was making those BFF basketball trips with him all summer?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know why some people (dbair) think Garrett would play Weeden if Jerry weren't handcuffing him again. As inappropriate as it was for Jerry to be down there delivering the news, what evidence is there that Garrett doesn't want Tony in there just as much as anyone?

I'd say the look on his face was evidence.

Like I said there really isn't any way to prove anything unless some players or other coaches start coming out and talking about it, but there really was no other reason Jones would need to come down and directly talk to Garrett unless Romo had told Jones "the docs and the coaches don't want me to go back in"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If that happens do you even put him on the plane to London?

Or do you give him and his back 3 weeks off?

That's what they should do, but they don't always do what they should do. They didn't do the right thing Monday night either.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What look on Garrett's face?

Really, how did Garrett know this wouldn't be another San Francisco situation where Tony goes back in and wins the game?

I suspect if Weeden had gone in and throw two picks you'd think Garrett wanted Tony to go back out there but Jerry wouldn't let him.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm thinking Romo isn't playing. No practice again today. Maybe they even knew it but just didn't want to say.

“I think it’ll be good, because regular-season games obviously are different in anticipation more than what preseason games are,” Vaughan said. “So I think it’ll be good for me to just be in the game and kind of feel it without actually playing necessarily right away and hopefully Brandon is able to make it through the game no problem. But it’s my job to be prepared and dressed out and ready to go if something does happen.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What look on Garrett's face?

Maybe somebody can post it, but there was a time during that Jones/Garrett thing when they panned on them, and Garrett had what sort of looked like a disgusted kind of look on his face

Really, how did Garrett know this wouldn't be another San Francisco situation where Tony goes back in and wins the game?

He probably had no idea other than what team docs would have said. He didn't look good when he came back in though, clearly Weeden gave us a better shot to win.

I suspect if Weeden had gone in and throw two picks you'd think Garrett wanted Tony to go back out there but Jerry wouldn't let him

If that had been the case, I could have whole heartedly got why they (or Jones) would have wanted him back in. But that wasn't the case was it?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Maybe somebody can post it, but there was a time during that Jones/Garrett thing when they panned on them, and Garrett had what sort of looked like a disgusted kind of look on his face

Not that this proves anything, but...

dhar73I.jpg

Reaction score
Not that this proves anything, but...

dhar73I.jpg

That's the same clueless and confused look we see every Sunday. Oh and sprinkle in a little dose of flustered because his meal ticket was getting spine imaging in the locker room.

Ginger would never want Weeden to play for longer than a few minutes because Weeden's presence alone would require him to actually coach. That's something he's incapable of doing. Much easier to play rah rah cheerleader and let Linehan and Romo win the games.

Reaction score
I really doubt we see the same Romo as the year progressed as we saw earlier.

I think the back will haunt him, both mentally and physically.

I mean, lets be real, he was playing better than ever before (at least IMO) during this 6-1 run.

And remember when DeAngelo Hall said a few years ago players were aware of the injury and would target it? I think it was his ribs at that point. Still, the point remains. Asshole thing to say from a shit head player, but you know there will be defenders out there who will lower the boom if given the chance?

Top Bottom