Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm simply stunned and feel like I'm hit below the belt. Brodie Lee, dead suddenly at age 41

InternetKing

The Elite :-P
Reaction score
Wikipedia info:

Brodie Lee:
220px-Luke_Harper_April_2015[1].jpg
Huber as Harper in April 2015

Birth name: Jonathan Huber
Born: December 16, 1979 in Rochester, New York, U.S.
Died: December 26, 2020 (aged 41) in Jacksonville, Florida, U.S.
Spouse(s): Amanda Huber (m. 2008)
Children: 2
Professional wrestling career
Ring name(s):

Brodie Lee
Harper
Huberboy #2
Jon Huber
Mr. Brodie Lee
Luke Harper

Billed height:
6 ft 5 in (196 cm)
Billed weight: 275 lb (125 kg)
Billed from:

Buffalo, New York
Butte, Montana
Lincoln, Nebraska
Rochester, New York

Trained by:

Kirby Marcos
Rik Matrix
Tony Mamaluke

Debut: October 7, 2003

InternetKing

The Elite :-P
Reaction score

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Too young when you have children. I wonder what the cause of death was and if there were any contributing factors. Covid will probably be listed on his death certificate......

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Too young when you have children. I wonder what the cause of death was and if there were any contributing factors. Covid will probably be listed on his death certificate......
It says on his wife's Instagram post a non-Covid related lung issue. He's been off tv for a while, and she mentions the staff at the Mayo Clinic, so I would take that to mean they've been seeking treatment options for a while.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I never was a huge fan of him but then again he was at WWE which is 98 percent garbage at all times.

He comes to AEW where they allow the performers to craft their own gimmick and support them in every way in the story telling and product, and he flourishes and was really coming into his own both creatively and his in-ring performance. As a heel Brute and cult leader type he was getting up there with the greats of the business in that regard. Channeling Bruiser Brody with a touch of Manson, he was oozing intimidation and brutality but mixing it with his fantastic agility and athleticism. And was fun to watch.

Right at the pinnacle of his craft he worked so hard at, he gets sick and dies. Right when everything he deserved was coming his way, his number gets called. It's a gut punch because I was really coming to admire him and his work.

Still ain't fully processed it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Here's from a coupla months ago, Dark Order leader Brodie Lee after he and some of his minions put an ambush beat down on AEW champ Jon Moxley.

screen-shot-2020-05-06-at-91855-pm-1200x900.jpg

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Covid hasn't been a factor at all for AEW, since it really was the innovator of the "bubble" strategy so many other organizations including the NBA and WWE, adopted. AEW quickly responded ending all road house shows and instead creating a bubble based on Daily's Place at the Stadium there in Jacksonville. Owner of AEW is the same guy who owns the Jaguars. They do their shows in the open air plaza at Daily's. Fans are allowed, masks and distancing required and it's just 20 bucks to get to be there for the Wednesday night Dynamite broadcast.

They led the way on covid response for sports organizations, they haven't had any covid cases but the downside was they had to miss some of their foreign talent like PAC who was not allowed to leave GB for months due to government travel bans, and Kris Statlander who was quarantined in her home country unnecessarily as was Riho, who wasn't allowed to leave Tokyo.

Here's good catch-up reading on AEW itself:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He's been off tv for a while
I knew something was way wrong when after Lee destroyed Cody Rhodes in a 2 minute brutal beatdown for the TNT championship, then just two weeks later Cody comes back and beats Brodie Lee for the title in a match that could only be described as bizarre, the storyline was Cody had "Beefed up" some and had intensive coaching from Arn Anderson, but as soon as the broadcast was over they announced Brodie Lee would be gone for awhile due to an unspecified "injury" allegedly sustained early in the rematch. He never returned.

Weird too was, AEW has a policy they don't do rematches when a champ loses his/her title so this was definitely a swerve to even have that rematch. I think Lee got diagnosed and plans had to change so the simplest thing to do was put the title back on Cody for a bit. He lost it two weeks later anyway, it's Darby Allin's now.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They've changed the card for tomorrow night's Dynamite broadcast.

1230card.jpg

Wednesday's show will celebrate the life of Lee, with tributes and a special card of matches dedicated to the leader of The Dark Order. Khan said the night is intended to honor Lee, but is also for his wife Amanda, and their sons Brodie Jr. and Nolan.

Tony Khan indicated that the favorite wrestlers of Brodie Jr. will team together this Wednesday night for various matches, for one night only. The following matches were announced for Wednesday's special tribute show on TNT:

* Cody, Orange Cassidy and Preston "10" Vance vs. Team Taz

* Colt Cabana and AEW World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks vs. Matt Hardy and Private Party

* Hangman Page, Alex Reynolds and John Silver vs. MJF, Santana and Ortiz

* Anna Jay and Tay Conti vs. Dr. Britt Baker and Penelope Ford

* Lance Archer, Stu Grayson and Evil Uno vs. Eddie Kingston, The Butcher and The Blade (With The Bunny)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The opening of tonight's AEW Dynamite jerked tears for me. They had all the performers on stage for a ten bell salute...

Top Bottom