dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hope voters do the right thing and shove this recall garbage right up the union's asses.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey congrats to the people of Wisconsin for doing the right thing last night. Not only did Walker deservedly win, he basically ran away with it.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Before you label me as some liberal--I haven't voted for either major party since 2000--which I am sure some bipolar mind only allows for two paradigms but Walker spent $35m and his opponent spent $2m.

That's democracy for you.

Oh and dbair could you perchance add a y after Fuzz in my name pretty please?

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
yeah this election speaks volumes about the shift since Citizens United.

WHO WILL BE BUYING YOUR VOTE THIS NOVEMBER?

Reaction score
yeah this election speaks volumes about the shift since Citizens United.

WHO WILL BE BUYING YOUR VOTE THIS NOVEMBER?

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/19884/money-to-define-election

Despite this significant push from Romney's super PAC, his fund raising totals still pale in comparison to Obama's. Since the Federal Election Commission (FEC) started publishing campaign contribution data in Q2 2011, Romney's campaign has raised nearly $145 million, with his super PAC boosting his unofficial spending power to roughly $200 million. Obama's campaign, on the other hand, has raised just over $325 million, with his super PAC adding only $10 million to that total.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Before you label me as some liberal--I haven't voted for either major party since 2000--which I am sure some bipolar mind only allows for two paradigms but Walker spent $35m and his opponent spent $2m.

I think they (the left websites and news agencies) are saying that the Walker/republican people outspent the Dems and that Milwaukee guy by 7 to 1.

Of course they failed to note that had the union bosses not began the ridiculous, unwarranted recall in the first place, not a dime would have been spent. Or that Unions and their special interest groups pumped in millions of their own, including money supposedly tied to the stimulus dollars they got.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I just read the CSM --not exactly a 'leftist' news organization-- and that's where i got those figures from. I understand that unions have some hidden influence but for the most part you can track TV and media, where most of the money is spent, expenditures and the like.

I also think this 'unions as the scourge of the US' line of reasoning is short of reality. Of course unions are going to get up in arms when legislation that impacts them directly is passed. So do all special interests. That's kind of the point of where the problem lies. I have less of an issue with that then I do elite sponsored 'think tanks' that circumvent the popular vote and lobbying laws by being directly appointed tostate and federal Congressional boards and committees.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
So let me get this right. Spending on campaigns is bad, unless you are a Democrat, then it's all on the up and up and you earned all that cash the noble way and can spend it with head held high?

So Walker outspending bad

Obama outspending good

KK, just so I have that correct.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;vfCUfvImQnE]http://youtu.be/vfCUfvImQnE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;bquhDGjnD-M]http://youtu.be/bquhDGjnD-M[/video]

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
So let me get this right. Spending on campaigns is bad, unless you are a Democrat, then it's all on the up and up and you earned all that cash the noble way and can spend it with head held high?

So Walker outspending bad

Obama outspending good

KK, just so I have that correct.

Quite the contrary. It's just to show that money and not policy dictates elections. It would require a lot of work that I am not willing to do to prove but anecdotally there is a stronger correlation to the outcomes of elections and money spent then there is to policymaking decisions.

The 2008 campaigns are just as indicative of this as are the current ones.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Quite the contrary. It's just to show that money and not policy dictates elections. It would require a lot of work that I am not willing to do to prove but anecdotally there is a stronger correlation to the outcomes of elections and money spent then there is to policymaking decisions.

The 2008 campaigns are just as indicative of this as are the current ones.

So with that in mind. Obama should be all accounts win in a landslide victory as he has close to twice as much money as Romney. So a little this and that and why even have elections. Just who ever has the best fund raiser gets to be Chief. Hilarious! /puke

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
So with that in mind. Obama should be all accounts win in a landslide victory as he has close to twice as much money as Romney. So a little this and that and why even have elections. Just who ever has the best fund raiser gets to be Chief. Hilarious! /puke

I am just following empirical proof. Money talks more now than ever in the last 100 years. Who needs grass roots anymore when enough cash gets you access to every American TV and CPU. I guess there should in theory be a market saturation point but i don't see them hitting in in a country of ~200m voters. $1b is $5 a person. Thats a cheeseburger.

I also do not believe that outside of a few social issues --and fewer then many would like to think-- that there is really no significant policymaking differences between the two candidates for bureaucrat-in-chief. Just look at Romney's record in MA and Obama in the WH. The rhetoric does not match reality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom