C

Cr122

Archer: Why Cowboys don't need star left tackle to win Super Bowl

07:19 PM CDT on Thursday, July 22, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Cowboys writer Todd Archer of The Dallas Morning News and SportsDayDFW.com answered your questions this week about Cowboys training camp.

Join Todd and all of our Cowboys writers as we chat live, answer your questions and dish the behind the scenes tidbits during every Cowboys training camp practice. Chats begin this weekend: Saturday at 2:15 p.m.; Sunday at 9 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. Central.

Some highlights of the full chat:

On if the Cowboys are one left tackle away from being Super Bowl contenders:

I disagree. New Orleans won the Super Bowl with Jermon Bushrod as its left tackle. He's OK. Gerry Fraley had an interesting story on the left tackle in the off-season and how you don't need an All-Pro there to be successful if you look at recent Super Bowl teams. I agree and I think Doug Free will be fine there. I'd put left tackle as No. 3 on my list of concerns behind kicker and safety.

On the prospects of offensive lineman Robert Brewster:

When I did my 53-man roster prediction after the mini-camp, I left Brewster off and I was killed by some of our readers for doing it. Yes, he was a third round pick but the Cowboys have shown a willingness to admit mistakes early and move on. Brewster is an interesting case. I liked what little we saw last year before the pectoral injury. He was a fighter more than a technician and an effort guy. He's in a fight for one of the last O-line spots, IMO. Did he re-shape his body in his work with Joe Juraszek? Sort of, but there's more work to be done there. And I don't know how much he was around Valley Ranch after the mini-camp to continue his workout regimen. The reason why I put Sam Young ahead of him on the 53 was that I saw Young play left and right tackle in the off-season. I didn't see Brewster do that.

On why the Cowboys don't trade with San Diego for Marcus Mcneil at left tackle:

Because you have to give up too much and then give the guy a monstrous contract. They'll be fine with Doug Free.

On David Buehler handing both field goals and kickoffs this year:

I'm concerned and I think the Cowboys are concerned too. As much as they like what he did in the off-season, he still hasn't done it in a game - preseason or regular season. He did not have a lot of attempts at USC and he didn't have to make any pressure kicks. He has the leg. I think Chris Boniol will help him with his technique. He has to approach every kick in camp like it's a real game because everybody will be watching. The preference is to go with Buehler but I don't think they'll go into the regular season with him as the FG guy if he struggles in the preseason.

On whether Cowboys will keep Buehler at kickoffs if he falters on field goals:

Yes, because you saw how valuable that was to the special teams unit last year.

Reaction score
and who knows what we get out of alex barron kinda reminds me of lenard davis a little bit cause of barron being on the rams and all

C

Cr122

and who knows what we get out of alex barron kinda reminds me of lenard davis a little bit cause of barron being on the rams and all

I think Alex Barron will be our swing tackle, fill in for Free and Colombo.

Eventually taking over for Colombo.

Top Bottom