C

Cr122

Wade Phillips presser breakdown
July, 24, 2010

By Calvin Watkins
SAN ANTONIO -- Wade Phillips held his first training camp news conference -- well, the first one after a practice that is -- and here's some highlights:

*In terms of talking about players after practice, Phillips doesn't like to do it. He feels he needs to see some practice tape before talking about how well a player did or how bad a player did. Phillips said it gives him a chance to give better answers to questions.

"You may see a player do something real good in practice and the rest of the plays didn’t play well," Phillips said. "Like a guy in a game, you think he played well, and he didn’t play well at all."

*The coach made a note that David Buehler isn't the only placekicker on the roster. Delbert Alvarado is also a kicker but hardly gets mentioned because after the team released Connor Hughes, it was assumed Buehler had no competition. Even Buehler said he's competing against himself.

"[Alvarado] did well, and that's why we kept him in the spring," Phillips said.

*Phillips said it looked like every player made their specific weight requirements and some were under their weights.

*Does Pat Watkins have a shot to become the starting free safety over Alan Ball? Phillips said he does and that there is competition at almost every position. However, Phillips would like to see Watkins, who is a strong special teams player, be more consistent on defense. Watkins did have a nice breakup of a long pass Saturday.

*Dez Bryant, the rookie wide receiver, was impressive in his first practice. Phillips said it's not the best debut he ever saw.

"I don't know if he looked any better than Steve Largent when he came in," Phillips said. "Cris Carter when he came in, I've seen some pretty good ones."

*Marcus Spears is still the starting defensive end, but he will get some snaps at nose tackle during training camp. The Cowboys did some of this last year with him. Phillips doesn't believe it's the start of something long term for Spears.

"I would be comfortable with him playing there," Phillips said of Spears at the nose. "He's a smart player and he’s a good run player already, and normally nose guard is a run-player position. [Jay] Ratliff has taken it to a different level; you don’t see nose guards getting six and eight and ten sacks. But I think Spears can fill that role as a run player and I think he’ll do a good job there."

*Linebacker Keith Brooking might miss the second practice Sunday. He's fine, but Cowboys want to bring him along slowly because he had minor knee surgery in the offseason. Brooking looked pretty good Saturday knocking down a pass and moving around pretty good.

Top Bottom