C

Cr122

By Calvin Watkins

SAN ANTONIO -- Wade Phillips spent a good portion of his meeting with the media talking about Dez Bryant and Martellus Bennett.

Bryant refuses to carry the shoulder pads of wide receiver Roy Williams, causing a stir nationally and apparently in Canada. Phillips said he heard the Bryant-Williams shoulder pad issue was a lead story in Toronto. Bennett had some nude photos of himself pop up on mediatakeout.com. Here's the highlights of Phillips’ Monday news conference:

*Hazing is something Phillips doesn't like. He noted that former left tackle Flozell Adams didn't participate in it his rookie year and any other years. The offensive linemen shave the hair off the rookies. Adams doesn't believe in it. "We don't haze and that's it," Phillips said. "I didn't like it when I was in college. We treat our men like men." Phillips addressed the team prior to Monday's practice and said of the issue, "It's not a problem with our football team."

*As far as Bennett is concerned, Phillips didn't comment on that issue, deciding to let the team handle it in a news release. Phillips is aware of the photos on the Internet.

*Phillips said guard Kyle Kosier will see more reps at center. Backup center Travis Bright has struggled a little bit. "We're going to work him [Kosier] there. I think it’s a good way to do it for us, the way we're situated right now," Phillips said. "But we may have somebody come through that's a center/guard guy that could do it also."

*Right tackle Alex Barron has impressed Phillips and the coaching staff. The Cowboys made the deal for Barron to get a veteran player as the swing tackle. Barron will back up Doug Free, the projected starter at left tackle, and Marc Colombo, the starter at right tackle.

"He got left tackle feet and arm length," Phillips said. "Those long arms that can recover quickly."

What does left tackle feet mean?

"You have to have quick enough feet to be able to [defend] the premier rusher [so] they won't beat you. Some guys if they don’t have it, they play right tackle. That speed rusher is usually on the offensive left side."

*Brandon Williams continues to impress Phillips, who said of the outside linebacker: "Quick off the ball, long first step. DeMarcus Ware quickness off the ball." The Cowboys are hoping Williams can spot Ware a few snaps during the season, mainly in the first half.

*It was a matter of time, but the offense was going to overtake the defense a little bit in training camp. The offense took control of some things Monday as quarterbacks Tony Romo and Jon Kitna looked good. "We're progressing well," Phillips said. "I think our offense took a step forward."

*Lorenzo Washington and Bennett (ankle) could return for the second practice Tuesday. Bennett is making cuts, and that's a sign he's getting closer. Washington is out with a hamstring. Phillips said safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (shoulder) was slowed down in his rehab by a slight pull of his hamstring. Yet the team believes he will return at some point next week.

Top Bottom