C

Cr122

Vela - Cowboys Nation Mock 9.0: Meat and Potatoes

Cowboys Nation Mock 9.0: Meat and Potatoes

Posted by Rafael at Thursday, March 24, 2011
This week, with talk of tiers and preparedness, I'm going to try a twist on a familiar approach. I've worked out mocks where the Cowboys traded down. This week, I'm going to riff off a prior trade down, with a specific purpose -- can I obtain three players in the initial rounds who can make significant contributions as rookies?

With that in mind, who would be the most likely dance partners? We've zeroed in on three, the Rams (14th) the Patriots (17th) and the Chargers (18th). What types of deals could the Cowboys swing from each?

In the Rams case, a deal down would likely produce an extra 3rd rounder. The Patriots, with their multiple picks, could get Dallas the biggest bounty, if the deal was multi-pick: rather than 9-for-17, Dallas could deal its first two picks, the 9 and the 40, for three Patriots selections, the 17th, the 28th (which New England is reportedly shopping) and the 74th pick, obtained from Minnesota. That would give Dallas two 1sts and two very early 3rds, but a long wait between picks 28 and 71. Now, the Cowboys may favor this initially, since the two 3rds or a 3rd and a 4th would let Dallas deal back into the 2nd for a player they liked, but we're moving into Rube Goldberg territory here. Maybe that will be the basis for next week's mock. We can call it "The Jerry Jones 'My-SportsCenter-Fantasy-Goes-Like-This' Draft."

This week, I'm working with the Chargers, who have the means -- two 2nds and two 3rds -- the motive and the history of making big moves up. In this case, I'm flipping the 9th for the 18th and pocketing the 50th overall in exchange. This gives Dallas three picks in the top 50, four in the top 71 and five in the top 105.

Off we go:

Round One -- Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
I waffle between Sherrod and Gabe Carimi here but I'm giving Sherrod the nod because he seems better able to play left tackle. I saw Carimi several times this year and the game which sticks out for me is the Iowa contest, where he faced fellow 1st round prospect Adrian Clayborn. Carimi won most of the duels on run downs, but Clayborn beat him a few times by simply racing around the left edge. That made me wonder how Carimi would fare if the challenger was Dwight Freeney, Trent Cole, or Demarcus Ware?

Carimi could be a very good right tackle, but I think he's a right tackle only. I'm giving Sherrod the edge here because he can play either side, which gives Dallas more flexibility, and will likely give Sherrod a longer career as an NFL tackle. That makes him a better investment, in my opinion.

Round 2A -- Stefan Wisniewski, C, Penn State
Two picks fill two of the biggest needs on the O-line. Center isn't the crying need that right tackle represents, but Wisniewski looks like a great value at pick 40, a near ready-made prospect who could push Andre Gurode immediately and give desperately needed depth at center and guard. This guy makes the name Cory Proctor fade from memory and takes pressure off Phil Costa to accelerate his developmental curve.

Round 2B -- Mason Foster, ILB, Washington
If rumors are to be believed, Foster may not last until this pick, but good ILBs tend to fall on draft day, in favor of bigger ''need'' spots on a 3-4 front like DE and OLB. Foster is a smart football player, who, like Wisniewski, can push incumbent Bradie James for his starting job this year and take it in 2012 if the initial challenge fails.

Round 3 -- Kendrick Ellis, DL, Hampton
Depending on how the board falls, Ellis might be a candidate at pick 50. If Foster is gone and if Phil Taylor is gone in the 1st, the 333 lb. Ellis might make more sense in the mid-2nd if Dallas really wants him. If Taylor lasts into the early to mid 2nd round, I can see Ellis in the early 3rd. He would give the Cowboys a lot of versatility in Rob Ryan's multiple front scheme. He could play on the nose. He could work the 5-technique, in the way Baltimore uses Haloti Ngata. To me, the biggest contribution Ellis could make as a rookie is as the slant nose in a 4-man front. He would play in the A-gap angled towards the center, commanding double-teams. This would let Jay Ratliff play the 3-technique inside of Demarcus Ware. Ratliff would have single blocking in this look and could cause some serious damage.

If Ellis is snagged at the bottom of the 2nd by a team like Pittsburgh or Green Bay, the Cowboys could complete the O-line remake here by drafting a guard like Jason Pinkston or Will Rackley.

Round 4: Demarcus Love, OG, Arkansas
Love played strong-side tackle for the Razorbacks, meaning he lined up on the left and the right sides. He had problems with speed and power rushers, but had games where he dominated as a run blocker, most notably against LSU. He needs to settle at one spot, probably as a guard, and will likely need a year or two to develop, but as the third OL in this crop, there's less pressure on him. If he's ready to contribute in 2012, he'll be right on time.

Round 5 -- Buster Skrine, CB, Tennessee-Chattanooga
A small school kid who blew up at the Texas vs. the Nation Bowl and ripped off an impressive 40 time at Indy. He's raw, but has the speed and flexibility to become a good player. His draft position should give him time. He could contribute as a needed kick cover guy while he learns his trade.

Round 6 -- Allen Bradford, RB, USC
A big, talented, versatile but enigmatic running back who can produce in a one-back set and get some reps at fullback.

Round 7 -- Da'Norris Searcy, SS, North Carolina
Popped up on Dallas' radar today, as it was announced he's visiting Valley Ranch. That makes him a player of interest but does not tell us where he fits as as POI. Every year the Cowboys bring in guys who intrigue them as early, middle and late round talents and even host some anticipated priority free agents. I'm digging for more on Searcy and may move him up, but he reads like a late-round candidate right now.

sbk92

Reaction score
Funny, your right, there's nothing you can do.

lol

Melvin, if I picked up and left tomorrow....I'd take with me half your activity.

The fact that we managed to carve some semblance of a functioning board with your dumbass at the top is a miracle.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The fact that we managed to carve some semblance of a functioning board with your dumbass at the top is a miracle.

Alec, I'm gonna go with "What was the last thing sbk said before getting banned?"

C

Cr122

lol

Melvin, if I picked up and left tomorrow....I'd take with me half your activity.

You just never know when to quit, do you?

Blow it out your ass.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't like that mock. I could be ok with Sherrod if we ended up with a bottom 1st round pick, don't like the 2nd rounder, in fact the only other pick I like is the Ellis one.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Don't like it. We have a chance to hit a home run pick at #9. Trading down, and with these selections, we pretty much blow the whole draft. Smacks too much of the '09 draft.

Top Bottom