Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Same condition that ended Michael Irvin's career.

Cowboys LB Leighton Vander Esch to undergo neck surgery, has spinal stenosis
The former rookie Pro Bowler has been sidelined for the Cowboys’ past five games with a disk issue following an Oct. 20 stinger.

By Michael Gehlken
Leighton Vander Esch plans to undergo “minimally invasive” neck surgery to fix a nerve issue and will miss the remainder of the 2019 season, a source said Monday.

The former Pro Bowl linebacker has been sidelined for the Cowboys’ past five games with a bulging disk following an Oct. 20 stinger. He won’t play in their regular-season finale Sunday against the Washington Redskins or in any postseason games, if Dallas qualifies.

Vander Esch, 23, underwent an MRI exam on Monday. The plan for surgery was finalized thereafter. His procedure should occur in January, and he’s expected to resume football activities well before the July start of training camp.

An important backdrop to Vander Esch’s situation is a diagnosis predating his NFL entrance.

He has cervical spinal stenosis, a condition featuring a narrowed spinal column in the neck. One consequence for affected individuals is increased nerve sensitivity to a bulging or herniated disk, which can require surgery if more conservative treatment methods do not alleviate symptoms. Those can include numbness or tingling in limbs.

“From what the doctors say, I was born with stenosis,” Vander Esch said following Sunday’s 17-9 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. “So it’s something you’ve got to deal with. Nothing was bothering me until I got hit in Week 7. I’ve got a new set of pads being built, and I’ve been running and practicing in those. So it feels good. ... We were just saving up for playoffs hopefully, but it’s out of my control.”

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
our crack medical staff strikes again
Or, lack of use of it? Like when we didn't require Romo to take a physical before signing him to his new long-term deal, AFTER he knew he already had the bulging disk?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And we all know LB isn't a high collision position to play. Oh wait..... another number one flushed

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Dallas team physician

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They describe it a a very minimally invasive procedure and docs said he will be 100% for OTA's.

It's a long term concern but it sounds like he should be good to go for next year.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There is a thread about this at the zone. Based on guys that have had this surgery and how long they played after, LB will be a priority need in the off season. Almost said I cant believe they blew a top 20 pick on this guy the last 3 drafts have been poor.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There is a thread about this at the zone. Based on guys that have had this surgery and how long they played after, LB will be a priority need in the off season. Almost said I cant believe they blew a top 20 pick on this guy the last 3 drafts have been poor.
But.. He'll be wearing a CUSTOM SPECIAL NECK BRACE when he returns! So it's all good!

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They describe it a a very minimally invasive procedure and docs said he will be 100% for OTA's.

It's a long term concern but it sounds like he should be good to go for next year.

Always the eternal optimist.......

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, Garrett is about to be gone. We are bound for some good fortune now.

And while we're feeling sorry for ourselves, losing LVE wouldn;t be the biggest blow to this team. We can find another LBer or two. We should be more concerned with finding a QB and a stud DE. Both are far harder to find. Fuck Jerry and his spawn for drafting another player with injury concerns. He's always trying to outsmart everyone. He treats the draft as a means to look smart by hitting on homerun picks that fail miserably.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And while we're feeling sorry for ourselves, losing LVE wouldn;t be the biggest blow to this team. We can find another LBer or two. We should be more concerned with finding a QB and a stud DE. Both are far harder to find. Fuck Jerry and his spawn for drafting another player with injury concerns. He's always trying to outsmart everyone. He treats the draft as a means to look smart by hitting on homerun picks that fail miserably.

Well at least Jerry’s “next Tom Landry” is finally out the door

He thought he outsmarted everyone on that hire and all he got for his trouble is 8-8 for a decade

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well at least Jerry’s “next Tom Landry” is finally out the door

He thought he outsmarted everyone on that hire and all he got for his trouble is 8-8 for a decade

I hope Jerry dies being miserable but that won't happen. He got what he wanted; a yes man HC that made things comfortable for Jerry and money coming in left and right. And Garrett is walking out richer than he ever had any business being for such an unaccomplished bum.

Top Bottom