Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
From Seattle to Seattle, the true Romo legacy.

From the moment he fumbled that snap all those years ago for the playoff game-winning field goal in Seattle, to the moment a Seattle player broke his back again in a preseason game this year, Tony Romo has been Dallas' lovable loser. Emphasis on 'loser.'

Because no matter what, by hook or by crook, his fault the refs fault Jerry's fault Garrett's fault, or the fault of the flawed system, or fault of other players, the wind, the weather, whatever - Tony Romo spent ten years as the Dallas quarterback and never got the job done. That's the indisputable bottom line.

It doesn't matter the whys or wherefores, the what-ifs and the almost was - the happy go lucky chuckling butt slapping grinning Romo, the "what me worry kid" of football, the "that's okay we'll get 'em next time" wayfarer, never got it done in Dallas.

Objectively, the best that can be said of Romo is he did extremely well for himself. Small school phenom from the heartland, had no chance to crack a NFL roster much less become a ten year starter in the league, Romo parlayed his abilities, moxie and fortunate circumstances into 100 million in earnings over the last ten years. It's really a quite remarkable accomplishment worthy of praise and respect.

But that's where my praise and respect for him ends. For the first few years I cheered him on, rooted for him, celebrated with him and hurt with him. Made excuses for him. Kept the faith. Then one day I know not when, I realized I was being played. Carrot and stick every year. Always some reason or mishap kept Tony from winning the big ones. He was always entertaining - we had a lot of fun watching him - but as the old lady said in the 70s hamburger commercials, 'where's the beef?' With Tony, it was all bread. Only ever and always, bread.

His bread got stale, and the injuries started piling up - adding yet another excuse to the long list of them. If only this, if only that. Then the 2014 campaign happened, and finally it looked to be a team that could overcome it all and finally win big. That ended and of course through no fault of Tony's, (no fault if you just conveniently forget all we needed was 2 yards on that play and he had guys open for that but he chose to throw for the end zone instead) with the infamous non-catch in Green Bay.

But the future was bright, Tony had just finished his best year ever and Boy oh Boy we can't wait until - wait for it - Next year. Yep, We'll get 'em next time.

2015's Romo-less 4-12 debacle finally got the Dallas management to at least pay some lip service to obtaining the quarterback of the future. Try as they might they couldn't trade up to get one of the coveted quarterbacks of the 2016 draft, and finally had to settle in the 4th round for that kid out of Mississippi State, who already had a DWI under his belt - Dak Prescott.

I watched as Dak wowed 'em in preseason, all the while saying to myself, 'yeah but that's just preseason' - and anxiously awaited Tony Romo's debut in that Seattle preseason game. They'd been saying he was healthier than ever. They'd been saying he was stronger than ever, better than ever. He's totally healed, they'd said. He'd looked good in practice, from what video I saw of him.

And then snap, broken back. And in that moment, I was officially done. In truth I said right there I don't want to see him playing for Dallas ever again. We've seen enough. It was fun, it was entertaining, but now it's life threatening. We need to move on even if it means 1-15 or worse. It's simply got to end, like all other good things.

Enter Dak Prescott and ten wins in a row. And now a 13-2 record heading into the final regular season meaningless game vs. Philadelphia. And now it's officially over for Tony. The old war horse has either retirement or another pasture to graze on, maybe another herd to lead. But he's done here.

Let us not mourn, let us celebrate. First let's celebrate that we didn't have to see him crippled or suffer any other permanent mobility-robbing injury. Celebrate that it's a new day in Dallas and the team looks to be in good young hands. And celebrate that Tony walks away with around 100 million of Jerry's money - every penny deserved, every penny well earned. And leave it at that.

Let's not feel sorry for him - our pity is only self-serving anyway. It doesn't help Tony at all and in fact he neither needs or wants our help. Let's not be saying infantile stuff like, "I feel bad for Tony he didn't get his ring," or, "I hope he gets his ring on some other team." No. That's just so you'll feel better. So you'll feel justified in your worship of him. So all the excuses made, get validated. He'll get 'em next year, right? Like always.

Instead let's tip our hats to Tony and thank him for the fun and entertainment he gave us. But above all, let's feel very happy to see him actually walking. Happy to hear about him able to play with his kids. Let's be glad to know he didn't lose his mobility in pursuit of "his ring" that was never actually, his.

And let's hope he doesn't get hurt Sunday. Let's hope this idiocy of him playing in a meaningless game just for what, rah-rahs for Jerry? Let's hope it doesn't cost us his backup services in the playoffs, or worse - let's hope it doesn't cost him his health and mobility.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My take: Good to very good player and highly entertaining. He did make the sum of the parts better, but could not carry a team. I think too many people confuse great with entertaining. Oh and he made Jerry a whole hell of a lot of money, and kept fan up fan interest for a decade. Physically he is broken and it is time to move on.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Meh. Dak has a way better team around him than Tony had for all but a year or two, and one of those was 2014, which was very similar to this one.

Dak has rare leadership skills, no doubt about it. But put him on a lesser roster and he wouldn't be winning anything.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Tony to me was a very exciting and entertaining player to watch. That alone puts him above Danny White in Cowboys lore in my opinion. I heard someone once describe Romo perfectly. He's the absolute best of the non-elite QB's. He entered the picture at the exact point the fan based needed him most and he put on a show. He will always be loved in Dallas for that.

Do I feel sorry for him though? Hell no. Dude was making $20 mil a year, he's doing way better than I am in life. Can't feel sorry for a guy like that. Fact is, he missed his chance. Like Dooms said, there was ALWAYS a reason why he didn't/couldn't lead the team to a Super Bowl win. Romo has never been the unquestioned leader of the team. That's not in his DNA. Not his fault that's just reality.

Now there's a new kid in town and it seems that all his strengths were Tony's weaknesses. The kid is a natural leader and it's programmed into him to protect the ball. His game fits the ball control offense they like to run perfectly. Romo has always had a propensity for putting the ball in harms way. I appreciate what he did for the team, glad he's still able to stand upright, and wish him well. I'd even be happy having him back on the coaching staff at some point. As for being on the field though, his time has passed.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
On thing I've noticed is that when I watch Romo play, I am stressed out as fuck because he wont ever just throw the damn ball away and move on to the next play, then we have to worry about him getting hurt, he cant do QB sneaks, is no threat to run plus he will gamble more with his passes.

Dak makes me calm because he is so calm. He seems far more protective of the ball than Romo ever has been, will throw the ball away when the play is virtually dead and he consistently moves the ball down the field, albeit typically in smaller chunks than with Romo plus he is always a threat to run. All of these combined serve to wear out and demoralize a defense whereas, I think defenses got to the point where they were licking their chops with Romo knowing that he will give them several opportunities per game to get a turnover.

I like Romo but damn I like not being stressed out even more. I sure hope Dak doesn't turn out to be a flash in the pan because I'm getting too old for stressful bullshit.

Reaction score
Romo was a great QB here who was hampered by terrible drafts and even worse head coaching.

It took years of Garrett incompetence to finally get a better set of assistants to mask his flaws. This is a healthy team with way more talent and better coaching than Romo ever had but for whatever reason some fans have a disturbing agenda with certain players. Some of the same idiots on this site were calling for Dez to be cut after the Giants game. The added Romo hate just reinforces the fact that some fans are too stupid to deserve a team with good players.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I hope he goes to a contender and shoves it up this franchise's ass(if given the chance to face them) for the next few years.

I expect him to put on a show tomorrow, depending on what he has around him. I'm not sure he'll have the luxury of throwing to Dez, Witten, Beas, and handing off to Zeke.

Tomorrow is the end of an era, one that I've appreciated very much. Tony has been a brilliant passer, for my money, the best pure QB this team has ever had. There have been more accurate Dallas QBs, better leaders, but I don't think there has been a better total package at QB for this team.

Thanks for carrying this shit-show and allowing it to be relevant for better part of the last, what?, 12 years? Thanks for the memories.

Oh, and don't sweat Dooms, Tony. His talent evaluation credentials proved nonexistent when Bill Bates went into his ROH.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Pretty much anybody who doesn't agree(except bbgun), I hope you get raped.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm not even *the* biggest Romo fan -- I know he wasn't perfect and had some flaws. But the blatant disrespect he gets, I don't understand. If Jerry hadn't tripped over a winning Powerball ticket as he stumbled out the of the bar one April day and we were running Kellen Moore out there, everyone would be begging for another Tony. But now it's like, good riddance, he wasn't any good anyway.

And as far as Dak playing such a careful game -- Tony couldn't do that for years because he had to score 35 to even have a chance to win the game. Dak has an incredible luxury with this running game and, yes, this defense to be able to be a game manager.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Romo was a great QB here who was hampered by terrible drafts and even worse head coaching.

It took years of Garrett incompetence to finally get a better set of assistants to mask his flaws. This is a healthy team with way more talent and better coaching than Romo ever had but for whatever reason some fans have a disturbing agenda with certain players. Some of the same idiots on this site were calling for Dez to be cut after the Giants game. The added Romo hate just reinforces the fact that some fans are too stupid to deserve a team with good players.
Nobody hates Romo. Some of us though understand that no matter what, by hook or by crook, his fault the refs fault Jerry's fault Garrett's fault, or the fault of the flawed system, or fault of other players, the wind, the weather, whatever - Tony Romo spent ten years as the Dallas quarterback and never got the job done. That's the indisputable bottom line.

It doesn't matter the whys or wherefores, the what-ifs and the almost was - the happy go lucky chuckling butt slapping grinning Romo, the "what me worry kid" of football, the "that's okay we'll get 'em next time" wayfarer, never got it done in Dallas. All excuses noted.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tony couldn't do that for years because he had to score 35 to even have a chance to win the game.
Orrrrr, maybe not in most cases. Maybe if he gave two shits about protecting the ball we wouldn't need 35-plus points.

Reaction score
I'm not even *the* biggest Romo fan -- I know he wasn't perfect and had some flaws. But the blatant disrespect he gets, I don't understand. If Jerry hadn't tripped over a winning Powerball ticket as he stumbled out the of the bar one April day and we were running Kellen Moore out there, everyone would be begging for another Tony. But now it's like, good riddance, he wasn't any good anyway.

And as far as Dak playing such a careful game -- Tony couldn't do that for years because he had to score 35 to even have a chance to win the game. Dak has an incredible luxury with this running game and, yes, this defense to be able to be a game manager.

Exactly. After years of inept QB play prior to Romo, it's pretty clear that he was a strong asset on otherwise very flawed teams. If Dak gets injured now, these people will come groveling back.

Either way, Romo played at an elite level for quite some time here and he had a lot of success. Fans are talking about him like he's jay cutler right now. This team and coaching staff were not designed for January playoff runs.

When you have a coach famous for icing his own kicker, I don't think that guy is gonna win many January chess battles.

I'm sure a lot of these "fans" were saying similar things about Ware and I'm happy he escaped Jerry's cesspool and got himself a ring in Denver. I hope Romo does the same next season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Exactly. After years of inept QB play prior to Romo, it's pretty clear that he was a strong asset on otherwise very flawed teams. If Dak gets injured now, these people will come groveling back.

Either way, Romo played at an elite level for quite some time here and he had a lot of success. Fans are talking about him like he's jay cutler right now. This team and coaching staff were not designed for January playoff runs.

When you have a coach famous for icing his own kicker, I don't think that guy is gonna win many January chess battles.

I'm sure a lot of these "fans" were saying similar things about Ware and I'm happy he escaped Jerry's cesspool and got himself a ring in Denver. I hope Romo does the same next season.
Pretty sure I'm about the only one posting here who's already said we're one and done this year. I have no illusions of Lombardis. I don't trust this organization, this HC, or this defense.
I hope he goes to a contender and shoves it up this franchise's ass(if given the chance to face them) for the next few years.
Yeah cos Dallas screwed him so royally, paying him 100 million bucks to play a game for ten years.
And you don't even know you've hit on the actual problem when you said:
There have been more accurate Dallas QBs, better leaders, but I don't think there has been a better total package at QB for this team.
Until Dak suited up.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But put him on a lesser roster and he wouldn't be winning anything.
That's something we really don't know and can't see. Possibly he inspires greatness in others more than he himself has, and they play above their abilities. People are saying that, about the Dallas defense this year. I've little doubt it wouldn't have happened just about anywhere else, save maybe Cleveland. You can't discount chemistry, yo.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Tony was an undrafted free agent for a reason. To his credit, he got every ounce out of his abilities, but he has a ceiling--and that ceiling is not championship level. To assert that he's never had weapons, a good o-line or that he's "snakebit" is simply not true. If you replace Troy with Tony on those early 1990s teams, you might win one SB but not three.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So Dak would inspire the Bills or Jets or Niners into winners? Got it.

And Trent Dilfer "got it done" while Dan Marino didn't. Guess we know who was the superior QB.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So you're saying that Romo would?
He's outright saying Dak couldn't be any good outside of dallas because of the "great" team we have. But can't wrap his head around what if he could and in fact could inspire other mediocre teams to play well above their ability.

Top Bottom