C

Cr122

Todd Archer's training camp observations - Practice 10
Posted at 8:45 PM on Fri., Jul. 30, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

** Back in full pads again. With back to back two-a-days coming this weekend, look for one of the workouts to be lighter than normal on Sunday.

** For the first time in training camp the running backs and linebackers did some work in one-on-one passing drills. This is an area where Felix Jones has to improve. He doesn't need to be Brian Westbrook, by any means, but if he can catch the ball solidly he would be a matchup problem for any defense.

** Interesting to see kicking consultant Chris Boniol sport a pair of cleats and practice some punts in the pre-portion of practice. He wasn't Mat McBriar good by any stretch but he wasn't that bad either.

** DeMarcus Ware is a pretty good teacher. After seeing Victor Butler get blocked pretty easily by tight end John Phillips in individual drills he showed Butler where to keep his feet in order to be able to shed a blocker or force a play to be bounced outside.

** On the first play of 9-on-9 running drills, Doug Free turned Igor Olshansky sideways on a nice run by Marion Barber. Free's run blocking has been effective so far for a guy that many think is known more for athleticism than power.

** Prettiest run of the session goes to Herb Donaldson. He completely froze Anthony Spencer with a quick dip to the left after the linebacker seemed to be in position for a tackle behind the line of scrimmage.

** Alex Barron was known for false starts in St. Louis as much as Flozell Adams was known for them with the Cowboys. Barron had his first false start of training camp and was replaced by Free for a snap, but the fact that it did not come until the 10th practice shows progress for Barron.

** Linebacker Leon Williams did a nice job of beating Leonard Davis to the hole on a Felix Jones' run to stop the running back for no gain.

** The second part of the seven-on-seven drills focused on the red zone. Tony Romo kicked it off with a perfectly floated pass over Victor Butler to Jason Witten but not so high that it gave inside linebacker Jason Williams a chance to make a play.

** Romo's second throw was a skinny post to wide receiver Roy Williams for a touchdown with safety Mike Hamlin being a tad too late to close the window. Romo followed that with a TD throw to Jones on Gerald Sensabaugh. A third score was negated by what would have been a pass interference penalty on Bradie James, who knocked down Martellus Bennett.

** Brandon Williams had a pass deflection in team drills and he didn't even know it. Moving to the flat to cover Witten, Romo's throw to Miles Austin sitting down in a zone glanced off Williams' helmet.

** Cornerback Orlando Scandrick must have some tip when a bubble screen is coming. For the second straight day he was able to beat the blocker to the wide receiver (this time Williams) to kill the play at the line of scrimmage.

** Rookie safety Barry Church broke up a pass from Romo to Sam Hurd , but it appeared as if Romo should have gone to Patrick Crayton in the slot because the middle of the field was wide open. They connected on a similar play not longer after that.

** Hurd had what seems like a typical Alamodome catch over the years. In full dive he was able to come up with a flat-footed throw from Jon Kitna, who was under pressure when he let the ball fly. The crowd gave the hometown player a nice hand of applause for the catch.

** Brandon Williams ended team with two pretty good plays. First he beat tackle Robert Brewster off the edge for a sack and then he stuffed a toss play to the weak side by pushing the tackle backward and forcing Lonyae Miller to take the run wider.

** DeMarcus Ware completely snuffed out a pitch to the weak side to Marion Barber even after taking a step inside on the misdirection play. He was able to recover in time to get to Barber before the runner could get to the line of scrimmage. It wasn't a case of Barber being slow. It was a case of Ware being incredible quick.

C

Cr122

Barron is prone to false starts too?

Jesus, just keep Free in there then.

Or Barron is deaf himself.

sbk92

Reaction score
I didn't realize Felix couldn't catch the football.

I don't remember any drops when he's gotten the chance, but Todd Archer says so so it must be true.

C

Cr122

I didn't realize Felix couldn't catch the football.

I don't remember any drops when he's gotten the chance, but Todd Archer says so so it must be true.

Ha ha, me either.

I guess Todd knows more than us.

Top Bottom