sbk92

Reaction score
Todd Archer / Reporter

** Practice ran about two hours with the team running through short yardage, blitz and red zone segments at about half speed. A lot of the players wore tennis shoes during the workout, although a few hearty souls went through with full-taped ankles.

** For about an hour before the practice, Wade Phillips walked/jogged around the field. He kept waving to fans as they entered the stadium and he worked out.

** With Titus Ryan (thumb) waived, Cletis Gordon (neck) not practicing and Bryan McCann (bruised chest, Kevin Ogletree and Manny Johnson handled the kick return chores. McCann took some turns at punt return with Ogletree and Jamar Wall.

** David Buehler made all six of his field goal attempts on Tuesday, ranging from 21 to 33 yards.

** The Cowboys used a lot of unbalanced line in the workout, perhaps making up for the lack of healthy tight ends. Pat McQuistan, who has spent the summer at guard, was the extra tackle when they went with that formation.

** Quarterback Stephen McGee was wearing a sleeve on his right knee. He did take a shot Sunday vs. Cincinnati but did not miss a snap. It didn't look like he had a hard time moving around.

** Andre Gurode was pulled for a play because of an early snap and was replaced by Kyle Kosier. It looked as if he had an early snap on the first red-zone play, too.

** Miles Austin had the most memorable catch of the session with a grab of a back shoulder throw from Tony Romo in the end zone on cornerback Jamar Wall.

** Even in a half speed practice you can get thrown by Jay Ratliff's quickness. On a hot-route from Jon Kitna to Manny Johnson in the slot, Ratliff was able to tag up Johnson for what would have been a short gain.

** The Cowboys will have a walkthrough on Wednesday at Valley Ranch as the final prep for Thursday's game vs. the Raiders.

Reaction score
Pat McQuistan, who has spent the summer at guard, was the extra tackle when they went with that formation.

I wish we would cut this guy already. I literally see no upside in him sticking around.

I'd much rather sign some UDFA lineman or another teams cast-off than to keep McQuistan. At least with them they would/could have potential or benefit from a change of scenery.

With McQuistan, we know what we have, and it's nothing.

** Miles Austin had the most memorable catch of the session with a grab of a back shoulder throw from Tony Romo in the end zone on cornerback Jamar Wall.

I've read several times how we've been working on, and connecting on these back shoulder throws. That's a throw Romo hasn't had in his arsenal to date. If he and the receivers can get this down (and it sounds like they might be), then our offense will be that much more deadly, and Romo will be that much better a Qb as a result.

There is almost no defense to a well executed back shoulder throw.

Top Bottom