ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Just caught the tail end of this the other day in the car and didn't really want to post about it because I wasn't sure I'd heard it in context, so I looked it up on the web. Finally found it on here, from about 38:30 to 40:40. This is from Joe Buck's TV show. Some earlier stuff about Troy's very candid thoughts on the Jimmy/Jerry split and how it affected his legacy is before that, too.

Thought Dooms might even want to archive part of this like he did the John in Plano call.

When listening for the first time it may take a minute or two to spool up.

Norm-donovan-12.3.15 Uploaded by SportsGreek at Your Listen

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't listened to it yet but in the past he has said numerous times his retirement had nothing to do with concussions, he says his back injury was the main reason he had to quit. And it was obvious from watching him that last season (2000) that something had robbed him of his normal arm strength.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't fast forward to that part of the pod cast......I have to leave it on until it gets to that point. Do you know when Troy comes on?

Reaction score
I've got it clipped down to the Troy quotes... I'll send it to Dooms to upload and post.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just heard it. Can't say I blame Troy. The team was a total wreck. Basically, he said he didn't want to go through another year with that team and have it tarnish his reputation any further. Guys wouldn't practice, come to meetings late, etc. It must have driven a perfectionist like Troy crazy.

Reaction score
Just heard it. Can't say I blame Troy. The team was a total wreck. Basically, he said he didn't want to go through another year with that team and have it tarnish his reputation any further. Guys wouldn't practice, come to meetings late, etc. It must have driven a perfectionist like Troy crazy.

I think all those concussions are making him jumble facts.

1) he's said back issues in the past on the same topic.

2) he sucked at that point. Jerry sent him packing. He wanted to go to another team but I think only the Chiefs showed interest.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You should listen to this, then. According to him, it wasn't anything physical.

So he's been lying all these years?

That said, I'm sure the atmosphere played a part, but there's no question whatsoever that his physcial condition ahd eroded badly that last year. It was painful to watch for a lot of us.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think all those concussions are making him jumble facts.

1) he's said back issues in the past on the same topic.

2) he sucked at that point. Jerry sent him packing. He wanted to go to another team but I think only the Chiefs showed interest.

Andy Reid also tried to get him to come out of retirement when McFlabb got hurt, but he said no.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
he started and ended his career on shitty teams. by 2000, he could barely move, making him a fat target for guys like Arrington.

Top Bottom