Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I wouldn't really mind it too much if we got Brady. Earlier I said let someone else pay him, but shit. He's got 6 super bowl rings and played in nine of them. He's actually DONE something. I'd rather see us pay a guy who's actually accomplished anything than throw any more money at guys who haven't, and had every good opportunity to do so. Bring Brady on in and let's see if he still has anything left.

Find a trade partner for Dak who won't mind signing him to a big deal, and who won't mind giving us a 1st and a 2nd for him. Shit. Even if Brady shits the bed we'll still have the picks, and can get a 1st round QB.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Michael Irvin's take intrigues me somewhat, his insistance that "important people" told him at the SB we were looking at trading Dak and signing Brady.

And the more I think about that the more I'd actually like to see it. I think it would be a mistake but I have to admit it would be exciting to see Brady in Staubach's old #12 jersey!

If we can wrangle a 1st and some other picks for Dak, we're way ahead on the investment of a 4th round compensatory pick. It could possibly be a Walker trade type move. Certainly bold.

I have no inside knowledge, but my first thought when Irvin said "important people" was "Oh, he must have talked with the Jones' ".

I'm no Brady fan, in fact I'm one of the few people who thinks that Deflategate was a totally justified crusade by the league because he cheated. However, with that said... as long as he puts that helmet with the star on it, he is our cheater. I'll take that over Dak any day. I just hope we could get something good for Dak in trade.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I wouldn't really mind it too much if we got Brady. Earlier I said let someone else pay him, but shit. He's got 6 super bowl rings and played in nine of them. He's actually DONE something. I'd rather see us pay a guy who's actually accomplished anything than throw any more money at guys who haven't, and had every good opportunity to do so. Bring Brady on in and let's see if he still has anything left.

Find a trade partner for Dak who won't mind signing him to a big deal, and who won't mind giving us a 1st and a 2nd for him. Shit. Even if Brady shits the bed we'll still have the picks, and can get a 1st round QB.

Worse case scenario Brady is what Johnny Unitas was in San Diego and we get a QB next year. Heck, if we get enough draft capital in the Dak trade we could take a run at getting Trevor Lawrence.

Best case scenario Brady is what Joe Montana was in KC or Brett Favre was in Minnesota and we are in position to win a SB.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Can you imagine what Mike McCarthy says when they ask him hey Mike, you want Tom Brady?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Totally true and that is why I would like to see Brady in a Cowboys uniform.
You think they would let him wear #12? Would they ask Roger if that's okay?

Dude has 6 rings. Can't imagine any objection, not even from old school fans like me and most of the guys here.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
You think they would let him wear #12? Would they ask Roger if that's okay?

Dude has 6 rings. Can't imagine any objection, not even from old school fans like me and most of the guys here.

When Peyton Manning went to the Broncos the number 18 was retired due to Frank Tripucka. Peyton asked is he could wear the number and Frank said yes.

I bring that story up to say that there is precedent for a legend of a franchise not having a problem with the fellow legend free agent having his number. My guess is that if Brady comes, there will be a similar exchange between him and Roger that will be publicized in the media.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Surely you're not comparing the two...

Dallas doesn't and never has, officially retired any numbers. However no one has worn #12 since Roger retired. My question is would Jerry respect Roger enough to at least ask him if he minds. Or would he just leave it up to Brady to ask him. Or just give Brady the number with no thought toward Roger.

The latter would kind of piss me off and probably sour me on the whole deal. This is Roger Fucking Staubach we're talking about. Not some dude named Tripuka.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

And even though he would cost a ton this season it wouldn’t be long term. They could then draft a guy to groom behind Brady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And even though he would cost a ton this season it wouldn’t be long term.
I mean... a 3 year deal, 40 mil a year with 60 guaranteed? Can't really kill ya. Specially if you get a first and a second for Dak?

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Surely you're not comparing the two...

Dallas doesn't and never has, officially retired any numbers. However no one has worn #12 since Roger retired. My question is would Jerry respect Roger enough to at least ask him if he minds. Or would he just leave it up to Brady to ask him. Or just give Brady the number with no thought toward Roger.

The latter would kind of piss me off and probably sour me on the whole deal. This is Roger Fucking Staubach we're talking about. Not some dude named Tripuka.

Your missing the point. Look, no one had worn the number 18 in Denver for 50 years. No one has worn the number 12 in Dallas for 40 years. Both because of the franchises respect for their respective franchise legends.

I do think your question of whether Brady would wear 12 here is a good one. As stated previously, going on past precedent in a similar situation, my guess would be that Brady would ask Roger and Roger would say yes. Worst case Jerry gives Brady the number without asking Roger, and Roger is then asked by someone in the local media if he cares, to which his response is likely to be "Hey, I'm just glad Brady's here".

Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
gettyimages-1171041971-e1581264677778.jpg

Getty Images

Michael Irvin, the Cowboys Hall of Fame wide receiver turned NFL Network broadcaster, made some headlines on Friday when he said on Boston radio station WEEI that “some very significant people” told him the Cowboys may pursue Tom Brady in free agency.

A day later, Irvin tried to calm the storm those comments created.

Irvin wrote on Twitter that the “very significant people” who told him about the Cowboys’ interest on Brady did not include Cowboys owner and General Manager Jerry Jones, or anyone else associated with the team.

“I never said Jerry or anyone in the organization said this to me. It was NOT anyone with the Dallas Cowboys,” Irvin wrote.

The idea behind the Cowboys going after Brady would be that they would first put the franchise tag on Dak Prescott, and then either trade him or let some other team sign him to an offer sheet that the Cowboys wouldn’t match. Then the Cowboys would go after Brady.

It’s farfetched, and it seems likely that the “significant people” Irvin talked to were merely spitballing, not describing a move that’s actually going to happen.

13886005.jpg

Tom Brady’s impending free agency has led to some wild hypothetical situations being thrown around, and one of them is Brady suiting up for the Cowboys in 2020. But even if Dallas had the opportunity to sign the six-time Super Bowl champion, new head coach Mike McCarthy does not sound interested.

Cowboys legend Michael Irvin told WEEI this week that he recently had a “shocking” conversation with some “very significant people” about the possibility of Brady in Dallas. However, Jane Slater of NFL Network reports that McCarthy would prefer to work with a younger quarterback and develop him, which likely means he would rather have Dak Prescott than Brady.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He turned down a 33 mil/year offer last spring. There's really no rush to sign him immediately. Hopefully they're thinking long and hard about it.

Michael Irvin's take intrigues me somewhat, his insistance that "important people" told him at the SB we were looking at trading Dak and signing Brady.

And the more I think about that the more I'd actually like to see it. I think it would be a mistake but I have to admit it would be exciting to see Brady in Staubach's old #12 jersey!

If we can wrangle a 1st and some other picks for Dak, we're way ahead on the investment of a 4th round compensatory pick. It could possibly be a Walker trade type move. Certainly bold.
The more I think about it (plus Cowherd just did a mock of Brady in a Cowboys uniform) the more this just might work.
And I'm in if we non-exclusive tag him and someone else gives him an offer sheet and we let him walk getting picks for him...if we get that first rounder I'd like us to be aggressive and get one of the QBs coming out this year and I think Herbert is realistic.
Nick Wright also made an interesting point...when you franchise tag a guy and he knocks it out of the park your "worry" is that you now will need to pony up the cash but Dak is already asking for that so we have nothing to lose franchising him

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Your missing the point. Look, no one had worn the number 18 in Denver for 50 years. No one has worn the number 12 in Dallas for 40 years. Both because of the franchises respect for their respective franchise legends.
I did not miss your nonsense point. It's nonsense because it's an idiotic comparison. You're comparing a guy who played three years for Denver when it was an AFL team, to Roger fucking Staubach. Denver retired the guy's number, that's on them. Using the word "legend" on the guy is just silly, especially in comparison to Hall of Famer Staubach. I'd wager that there were very few Broncos fans who even knew who he was until Manning came along and asked his permission to use the number. There wouldn't have been any stink made about it, had they just slapped the number on Manning without so much as a how do you do. There would, if it happened with Roger's number. It would be compared to Jerry's firing of Landry.

Apples and Oranges, totally.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I did not miss your nonsense point. It's nonsense because it's an idiotic comparison. You're comparing a guy who played three years for Denver when it was an AFL team, to Roger fucking Staubach. Denver retired the guy's number, that's on them. Using the word "legend" on the guy is just silly, especially in comparison to Hall of Famer Staubach. I'd wager that there were very few Broncos fans who even knew who he was until Manning came along and asked his permission to use the number. There wouldn't have been any stink made about it, had they just slapped the number on Manning without so much as a how do you do. There would, if it happened with Roger's number. It would be compared to Jerry's firing of Landry.

Apples and Oranges, totally.

It might be more like when Joe Montana went to Kansas City. I don’t know if they officially retired Len Dawson’s #16 but Montana didn’t wear it. I will say that if there is one guy in the NFL that I would ever consider allowing to wear 12 it would be Tom Brady. No schmo would ever touch that number. Brady is literally the greatest QB of all time. If he wants to wear 12 I doubt Roger would mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Put me on record as saying there is no way in hell Brady is playing for the Cowboys, he's a Niner fan, hated Dallas growing up and wants to win. He also has a brain and realizes coming to play for the 3 ring circus run by Barnum Jones will do nothing but tarnish his legacy.

He'll be back in New England next year.

Put it in 4-inch letters!

FYI-My last prediction was that the Niners would blow out KC in the super bowl, so take this FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom