LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Detroit Lions do not franchise Ndamukong Suh.

By Kevin Patra.

Ndamukong Suh will hit the open market.

The tag would have cost Detroit $26.8 million because his renegotiated salary in 2014 was $22.4 million (the tag calls for 120 percent of a player's salary from the previous season).

The number seemed prohibitive from the start. However, general manager Martin Mayhew wouldn't rule out using the tag to ensure Suh would have been in Detroit for at least one more season. The reality of paying such an exorbitant amount to one player -- regardless of his importance to one of the NFL's top defenses -- likely persuaded Mayhew to decide against the tag.

Suh will hit the open market with the rest of the free agents on March 10. As Around The NFL's No. 1 free agent, the All-Pro will be the most sought-after commodity on the market.

Rarely does a player of Suh's caliber hit the open market in his prime. Detroit's restructuring of his contract led to the team's inability to franchise tag the 28-year-old, hindering the leverage most teams enjoy when negotiating a long-term deal.

With plenty of teams flush with cap space, the negotiations should put Suh above J.J. Watt's six-year, $100 million contract and make him the highest-paid defensive player -- something Suh has wanted.

Whether the Lions will be able to match any offer given to Suh -- or whether the defensive tackle will want to sign with the franchise that drafted him -- is an intriguing plotline as we ramp up to free agency.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
And I would love for Channing Tatum to hold me in his big strong arms, but let's be realistic.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I read the Giants could be major players for Suh.

Guess they have the money this year and next year they might have somewhere like 83 mil free. Now that's wothout Prince, JPP, and Eli extended but still plenty of room for Suh. AND Suh apparently wants to play in NY to improve his brand.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
this would be a classic Dan Snyder acquisition (Haynesworth II!) but I don't think he has the money

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score

Guess they have the money this year and next year they might have somewhere like 83 mil free. Now that's wothout Prince, JPP, and Eli extended but still plenty of room for Suh. AND Suh apparently wants to play in NY to improve his brand.

And they'll still suck.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think a more attractive option is Devin McCourtney; FS out of New England. They franchised their kicker instead of him.

He's relatively young and won't receive Suh kind of mega bucks.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

The Colts have a ton of cash and so do the Jaguars. Jaguars I think have the most cap space.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think a more attractive option is Devin McCourtney; FS out of New England. They franchised their kicker instead of him.

Let's get BOTH!

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score

If I was a team with the cap room I'd grab both McCourty and Potroast from Denver before I spent the money on Suh.

Clearly Suh is better and a future HOF but I couldn't justify spending $100 Mil on a DT.

Top Bottom