Reaction score
By
Gerry Fraley / Reporter

gfraley@dallasnews.com | Bio

9:22 PM on Sat., Dec. 24, 2011 | Permalink

Backup quarterback Stephen McGee has played in three regular-season games during his time with the Cowboys. He has struggled to put up points.

The Cowboys scored only once, in the waning minutes, in 11 possessions directed by McGee during Saturday's loss to Philadelphia. In 22 career possessions against the Eagles, McGee has produced points only twice. For his career, McGee has produced points in four of 29 possessions.

"I thought he handled his situation fairly well, even though we weren't very efficient or effective on offense throughout the day," coach Jason Garrett said.

Quarterback Tony Romo played only one series. Running back Felix Jones played only two. Does that excuse how poorly the offense performed on Christmas Eve? No.

Remember, the Eagles knew late in the first quarter that their slim playoff hopes were done. The Cowboys punted on their first nine possessions. McGee did nothing to assuage concerns that he will be a solid backup to Romo entering next season.

"[Today] is so unfair to bring a guy in who has had very few snaps," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. "I saw some things out there even [today] that were impressive. He has made great strides in his instinct. He has made great strides with his feel. I think that's going to serve him well. You can see he has a good arm and can make time, buy time."

Despite McGee's relative success to end last season, he hasn't done enough to lock up a position with the Cowboys long-term. He's started 32 series in three games for the Cowboys and has 30 points to show for it. For his career, McGee has completed 46-of-82 passes for 420 yards and three touchdowns, with no interceptions.

Jones was asked Saturday to assess where the Cowboys stand with their backup quarterback position.

"I'm not sure where we are," Jones said.

Reaction score
Hard to judge a QB with this offensive line.

That said, I'm all for bringing in another QB - which we'll obviously have to considering we only have two on the roster.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hard to judge a guy who hadn't taken a single snap with the first team against the best pass rushing team in th league.

Kind of crazy to even think about evaluating someone in that situation.

Reaction score
He's only gotten 82 pass attempts his entire career and has completed about 60 percent of his passes with 420 yards and a 3/0 TD/INT ratio.

How is it that he's struggling that bad?

Reaction score
I'm not going to just look at stats, and it's hard for us watching on television to accurately judge.

I'll trust the coaching staff, and of course, our excellent GM, in determining if he's the guy. I hope he is, because that's one less spot we have to fill.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I only watched the first half, so I can't comment on his overall performance.

He made some nice throws early, but seemed to turn into a checking down mfer in a hurry.

Reaction score
McGee doesn’t score points. That to me is the most important stat. He is afraid to let it loose. He refuses to take any chances. I have never cared much for his skill set. Reminds me of Quincy Carter. The guy isn’t a rookie. He gets more backup snaps than most 2nd stringers being that there are only 2 quarterbacks. Romo thrived under this same offensive line, no excuses.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I do think you can call McGee a waste of time. He looks decent at times and I like his elusiveness.

I just don't think you have a future starter there.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm just not seeing much growth. If you know the playbook and know the reads and are preparing like you're going to be the starter every week we should at least see some functionality. McGee runs like two plays well, plays where we roll him out of the pocket, the rest is hit or miss if he can buy enough time with his feet for his brain to catch up to what's going on out there.

IMO he's shown flashes of ability but almost no aptitude for running an offense.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
McGee doesn’t score points. That to me is the most important stat. He is afraid to let it loose. He refuses to take any chances. I have never cared much for his skill set. Reminds me of Quincy Carter. The guy isn’t a rookie. He gets more backup snaps than most 2nd stringers being that there are only 2 quarterbacks. Romo thrived under this same offensive line, no excuses.

He said on the post game show the first snap he took with the regular players inthe game was the first all year. He gets zero reps at practice.

So your way off

Reaction score
With the checkdowns... oh yeah.

Ahh.. i was going to say. He's about one million times more mobile back there than Brad Johnson, with a much better arm. If Brad was back there that game, we wouldn't have even sniffed 7 points and he probably would have been taken off on a stretcher.

Top Bottom