Reaction score
Phillip Merling tears achilles

One source tells the Miami Herald that the Dolphins "may" be interested in Cowboys DE Marcus Spears now that they've lost defensive linemen Phillip Merling and Jason Ferguson.

Team president Bill Parcells and GM Jeff Ireland are very familiar with Spears, having been with the Cowboys when he was a first-round pick back in 2005. Dallas offered Spears a lower tender offer than both of his backups, and he was arguably outplayed by both as well. He was reported to be on the trading block prior to the draft.
Source: Miami Herald
Related: Dolphins

---------------------------

Merling was heading down the 'bust' road, so Spears would definitely be an upgrade.

Personally . . . I think I might prefer to keep Spears. He's not flashy or sexy, but he's solid and he plays his role.

Of course, we do have some decent depth along the line with the growth of Bowen. And I think Hatcher is the kind of player who would get better the more time he spent on the field.

In any event, it'll be interesting to see if anything develops from this.

Reaction score
What would you consider enough value?

Keep in mind, odds are we're not re-signing him after this season anyway.

for a great starting DE in the 3-4 it would take a good 2nd or 3rd rounder to make me even some what happy

Reaction score
for a great starting DE in the 3-4 it would take a good 2nd or 3rd rounder to make me even some what happy

If he were a "great", then I'd say you're right. He isn't. He's good. Underrated. But not great.

I think we lose leverage with the knowledge that he's only got one more year on his contract, and I don't think he's in our plans to re-sign him. People know this.

Ideally, I would prefer to keep him. But . . . I would trade him for a fourth.

Reaction score
If he were a "great", then I'd say you're right. He isn't. He's good. Underrated. But not great.

I think we lose leverage with the knowledge that he's only got one more year on his contract, and I don't think he's in our plans to re-sign him. People know this.

Ideally, I would prefer to keep him. But . . . I would trade him for a fourth.

I overuse the word great...but he is quite good at what Dallas asks of him IMO

Reaction score
Cowboys haven't talked to Dolphins about Spears

Jul 23
8:30
AM CT

By Calvin Watkins

There's a blog item out there that the Dolphins might contact the Cowboys regarding defensive end Marcus Spears.

The Dolphins lost starting defensive end Phillip Merling for the season with an Achilles' injury so there is a need.

However, a source said the Dolphins have not contacted the Cowboys regarding Spears or any of their other defensive end. The Dolphins do like the Cowboys defensive ends because team VP Bill Parcells drafted Spears, Hatcher and signed Bowen as a undrafted free agent. Spears thought he might get traded this offseason when the Cowboys offered him a tender contract that was lower than his backups, Jason Hatcher ($1.759 million) and Stephen Bowen ($1.759 million).

Spears, who will make $1.226 million in 2010, said he wants to remain with the Cowboys long-term, but understands if the team wants to give someone else a chance to start at end. Hatcher is going to get more snaps this season and could challenge Spears for a starting spot.

The Cowboys could make a move here because there is a surplus of ends on the roster. The club is high on Marcus Dixon, who spent the last two years on the practice squad. Dixon is someone who will get a lot of opportunties to make the 53-man roster.

If the Cowboys do get contacted about Spears or another one of their ends, it will be interesting to see just what the offer will be.

Reaction score
I wonder if Spears is gonna pull a Canty and make his asking price way unreasonable?

I mean look at the Giants they got screwed in that shit..

Reaction score
I wonder if Spears is gonna pull a Canty and make his asking price way unreasonable?

I mean look at the Giants they got screwed in that shit..

I don't think he'll do that. I think he'll ask to be well paid, but I don't think we'll be able to afford it.

Spears isn't a guy you re-sign. He's a guy you replace in the draft.

Our re-signings need to be for the Wares, Spencers, Austins, etc.

C

Cr122

I'm not sure what we are going to do with Spears, but like Midswat said he'll probably not be resigned next year.

It will be Bowen or Hatcher replacing him next year.

sbk92

Reaction score
The problem I have is we don't have a backup DE who can hold the fort in the run game. Bowen's a penetrator. Hatcher's supposed to be too. Neither guy can clog up running lanes consistently, IMO.

You already have Ratliff at nose tackle. Who's tremendous but if he has a weakness, it's that he can get blown off the ball by power running teams. With Spears and Olshansky on either side of him, it's not a huge issue but now we might add a 2nd guy on the line who is suspect against the run? I think we'd be creating a nice gap for defenses to exploit.

If you plan on contending this year, I don't see the point of moving Spears now.

C

Cr122

The problem I have is we don't have a backup DE who can hold the fort in the run game. Bowen's a penetrator. Hatcher's supposed to be too. Neither guy can clog up running lanes consistently, IMO.

You already have Ratliff at nose tackle. Who's tremendous but if he has a weakness, it's that he can get blown off the ball by power running teams. With Spears and Olshansky on either side of him, it's not a huge issue but now we might add a 2nd guy on the line who is suspect against the run? I think we'd be creating a nice gap for defenses to exploit.

If you plan on contending this year, I don't see the point of moving Spears now.

Absolutely, Spears no doubt will have to be here this year for us to contend.

I don't think they will either, but you know they are not afraid to plug in Bowen or Hatcher.

Top Bottom