Reaction score
By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist Contact Rick Gosselin on Twitter: @RickGosselinDMN

Rick Gosselin, sports columnist for The Dallas Morning News and SportsDayDFW.com, author of Goodfellows: The Champions of St. Ambrose, member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee and co-host of Talk of Fame Network heard Sunday mornings from 6-8 a.m. on KTCK-AM 1310, answered your questions about the Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks and Stars in a live chat Monday.

Should the Cowboys try to trade Tony Romo? Or will they just grant him his release?

Gosselin: I'd try to trade him if you can get someone to pick up the sizable contract of an aging quarterback who hasn't played at an elite level since 2014. If it's a trade, I'm sure Romo would be involved in the discussions just as Joe Montana was when he was dealt to Kansas City back in the early 1990s. You want to do the player right after all he's given to the organization. If he's playing elsewhere next season, it will be with a contender in the AFC. And the Cowboys would rather it not be an AFC West team (Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos or Chargers). That's the division with whom the Cowboys play interconference games in 2017.

Where is Tony Romo going to end up, because it seems his window for significant PT is over (barring injury)?

Gosselin: As much as Jerry says he'd like to keep Romo around, I doubt Romo wants to finish out his career on the bench. And it doesn't make economic sense. You can't spend $20-plus million on a backup quarterback. That money can be better spent elsewhere on pass rushers and coverage players. This is Jerry speaking on emotion rather than on football sense.

Carr has been solid all year, do you see him getting an extension?

Gosselin: Not at his age. He's 31 next season. He's certainly played well enough to earn a jump in pay. But the cardinal sin of the salary cap is paying age. I'm sure the Cowboys would love to have him back but it would have to be on their financial terms, not his.

Will the cowboys spend in free agency to boost their pass rush? or spend a high draft pick on a pass rusher? a pass rush can make this team nearly impossible to beat

Gosselin: I'd take a pass rusher with each of my first three picks in next year's draft. The average number of sacks by Super Bowl champions through the years has been 44. Right now the Cowboys are at 30. That doesn't spell domination. The Cowboys need a dominant edge rusher. I have little faith that Tyrone Crawford, DeMarcus Lawrence or Randy Gregory can be that guy. And the great pass rushes have two of those guys -- Miller & Ware at Denver, Mack and Irvin at Oakland, Avril and Bennett at Seattle. So I'd keep drafting them and hope I hit on a few of them. This team is a pass rush away from becoming dominant.

Will the cowboys play Randy Gregory?

Gosselin: If they believe he can give something off the edge, they will. Right now the Cowboys are lacking there. I would hope that Randy Gregory has his life in order before he steps back on the football field, though.

Why doesn't David Irving get more snaps? He's been making plays since last year.

Gosselin: Marinelli likes to rotate them. My guess is Irving goes so hard when he's out there, he can't sustain it for 60 minutes. Those, he's on the field when you need him most. He's been a flurry of arms, legs and plays.

David Irving had a monster fourth quarter. Refreshing to see some DL pressure recently, yeah?

Gosselin: Yes, sir. As we get deeper into the season and the games become more meaningful, the pass rush becomes more important. Irving gives the Cowboys hope for a pass rush in January and, hopefully, February. He's a beast in spurts.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Should the Cowboys trade or release Tony Romo?
After this season, yes.
You want to do the player right after all he's given to the organization.
THAT'S WHAT THE FUCKING 70 MILLION DOLLAR PAYCHECK WAS FOR! GOD DAMN, I AM SOOOOO FUCKING SICK OF HEARING ABOUT WHAT HE "GAVE TO THE ORGANIZATION" HE DIDN'T GIVE SHIT THAT WASN'T GENEROUSLY COMPENSATED FOR ALREADY! FUCK!
This is Jerry speaking on emotion rather than on football sense.
Because he HAS no football sense.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Do not release. Try and trade out of the division and get what you can while the getting is good.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Definitely try to trade him. Cutting him only helps you gain cap space. If they are not going to spend that money then cutting Romo makes zero sense. You get whatever you can for him.

I'm also sick of hearing how the Cowboys owe Romo. They don't owe him shit. He was paid very well and all the Cowboys have to show for all that money is 2 playoff wins. If anything, he owes the Cowboys and the fans. It the other way around.

With that said they are not going to send him to a bottom dweller even if the offer was better. Everyone is saying likely teams are Broncos, Cardinals and Jets. But a darkhorse team I think is Houston. They look to be trying to get as far away from Osweiler as possible.

Reaction score
Texans makes some sense if he's not trying to completely uproot his life in Dallas.

Denver and Arizona also make a lot of sense from the contender perspective.

I think Romo has 2-3 elite years left in his tank, but obviously he has to stay healthy.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And the Cowboys would rather it not be an AFC West team (Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos or Chargers). That's the division with whom the Cowboys play interconference games in 2017.

If Romo went to the Broncos and became the starter, the Dallas vs Broncos game may be one of the highest rated games in years outside the SB.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm the biggest Romo apologist here but he AND the organization benefited from each other, we do not "owe" him the right to be released.

It's simple. You tell him to give the FO a list of teams he would like to play for, you explore if those teams have any real interest, and then you give permission to Romo and his agent to talk contract terms with the teams. I don't care if he goes to an AFC West team, one game isn't going to ruin us. Jerry is probably terrified Romo outplays Dak and makes him look foolish. Who cares? It's one regular season game. If you release him and he signs with an NFC team that beats us in the playoffs, that would sting significantly more.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If you release him and he signs with an NFC team that beats us in the playoffs, that would sting significantly more.
Someone called into Norm's show today and asked what if Cousins gets away from the Skins and Tony went there...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm the biggest Romo apologist here but he AND the organization benefited from each other, we do not "owe" him the right to be released.

It's simple. You tell him to give the FO a list of teams he would like to play for, you explore if those teams have any real interest, and then you give permission to Romo and his agent to talk contract terms with the teams. I don't care if he goes to an AFC West team, one game isn't going to ruin us. Jerry is probably terrified Romo outplays Dak and makes him look foolish. Who cares? It's one regular season game. If you release him and he signs with an NFC team that beats us in the playoffs, that would sting significantly more.
Business-like thinking such as this is very rare if not nonexistent in Jerry's world, where he falls in love with players he's paying mega-millions, for some weird reason.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ring ring ring

Hello Jerry, it's the Raiders calling.....

So ummm....
What do you want for Romo?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ring ring ring

Hello Jerry, it's the Raiders calling.....

So ummm....
What do you want for Romo?

if there wasn't a trade deadline, I'd imagine the haul would be as good as its ever gonna get

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Exactly
That would have been the ideal situation

A team in the playoffs in need of a competent back up to replace their star QB

you couldn't ask for a better scenario for a fleecing of another team

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Cap ramifications of Romo is released?

Assuming you mean after this year is over, there is $19.6 million in dead money they have to absorb so if they're going to drop him, it would likely be a designated June cut so the dead money can be split over two years @ approx 9.8 million for 17' & 18'.

If he's traded, I think the 19.6 gets accelerated to 2017, so they'll have to get creative if they find a willing trade partner

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think it's well past time when the word 'if' is gone from this. He's either cut or traded, I don't see any option where he stays a Dallas Cowboy. Unless it's some pie in the sky thing where he lets them re-do his deal, cutting 10s of millions off it.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

If he is released, traded, or chooses to retire this off-season, it would create $19,600,000 in dead money, which is less than his 2017 total cap hit of $24,700,000, so it would create about $5,100,00 in cap room. In this scenario, he is completely off the books when the 2018 season starts.

If he was designated a June 1st cut, it would create $10,700,000 in dead money, which would free up $14,000,000. There would be an additional $8,900,000 dead money hit on the 2018 cap. Reminder, that $14,000,000 it would free up would not be available until June 1st, well after most free agents have signed deals.

Reaction score
With that said they are not going to send him to a bottom dweller even if the offer was better. Everyone is saying likely teams are Broncos, Cardinals and Jets. But a darkhorse team I think is Houston. They look to be trying to get as far away from Osweiler as possible.

If the bottom dweller offers us the best deal them that is where Romo should go.

Top Bottom