Reaction score
Dynasty Ranks: Quarterbacks

This is the second of Rotoworld's four-part Dynasty ranks series to kick off the fantasy football offseason. The running back ranks ran early in the NFL playoffs, and wide receivers will be up this weekend prior to the Super Bowl. We'll wrap up with tight ends early next week.

Tier One

1. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
2. Philip Rivers, Chargers
3. Drew Brees, Saints
4. Peyton Manning, Colts
5. Tom Brady, Patriots

Despite the twin concussions in 2010, Rodgers remains at the top of the list due to his talent, age, and weapons. … Rivers owners avoided a pitfall when top-notch playcaller Norv Turner escaped the firing line following a disappointing season. … Brees finished as the No. 3 fantasy QB while playing through a torn MCL. … Manning is a rock with 12 straight top-six fantasy finishes. He has five more of those left. … Brady led the league in TDs for the second time in four years.

Tier Two

6. Michael Vick, Eagles
7. Tony Romo, Cowboys
8. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers

Confession: I own Vick in both of my main Dynasty leagues, and I wouldn't trade him straight-up for any other QB in the league. It's impossible to ignore his risks, though -- injury and otherwise. … Romo has the most talented pair of receivers in the NFL to go with an elite tight end. … Big Ben may be the best QB in the NFL, but that hasn't translated to fantasy dominance.

Tier Three

9. Matt Ryan, Falcons
10. Joe Flacco, Ravens
11. Sam Bradford, Rams
12. Josh Freeman, Buccaneers
13. Matt Schaub, Texans
14. Eli Manning, Giants

Ryan has shown steady improvement as a franchise QB, but he desperately needs to add an impact receiver with Tony Gonzalez losing several steps in 2010. … Flacco is the most underappreciated QB in the game, in NFL and Dynasty terms. He had every bit the year that MVP candidate Ryan did and his career is off to a similar promising start. … I pushed Bradford ahead of Freeman when the Rams hired OC Josh McDaniels.

Freeman enjoyed an excellent second season against a soft schedule. Just beware that too many are getting carried away with his fantasy prospects after a five-TD aberration in Week 16 skewed his final numbers. … Schaub has always been a better fantasy than NFL QB, and he spent the majority of the season as a borderline fantasy starter. … Eli is a fine No. 2, but owners are constantly on the lookout for an upgrade.

Tier Four

15. Tim Tebow, Broncos
16. Matthew Stafford, Lions
17. Jay Cutler, Bears
18. Mark Sanchez, Jets
19. Carson Palmer, Bengals

Tebow is another player I own in both of my main Dynasty leagues. I'm treating him as a top-10 QB for the next five years after he closed out the season averaging 28.8 fantasy points in three starts. Again, he's not without risk, however, and I realize my riverboat gambling style isn't for everybody. … Like Tebow, Stafford is a high-ceiling, low-floor Dynasty investment. He could be an impact fantasy QB as soon as 2011 if he stays in one piece for 16 games; that's a big "if."

Cutler has a million-dollar arm, but I've got a good idea about that five-cent head. … Sanchez may have the "it" factor, but he's not accurate enough for consistent fantasy success. … Palmer may be tired of wasting his time with an organization that refuses to commit to winning, but nobody out-stubborns Bengals owner Mike Brown. The larger problem is that Palmer "pretty much failed every test" in 2010 and is "more the problem than the answer."

Tier Five

20. Vince Young, Titans
21. Matt Cassel, Chiefs
22. Kevin Kolb, Eagles
23. Kyle Orton, Broncos
24. Colt McCoy, Browns
25. David Garrard, Jaguars
26. Donovan McNabb, Redskins

Young's intangibles are a mess, but there's no question that the Titans have been a much better team with him in the lineup. He wouldn't be the first QB to go from the outhouse to the penthouse. … Cassel is my No. 1 "sell" of the offseason. His impressive 2010 season came against the softest pass defense schedule any of us have ever seen. … Kolb's numbers in 19 career games: 60.8 completion rate, 11:14 TD-to-INT ratio, 6.5 YPA, and 73.2 rating. For comparison's sake, those numbers are down from Chad Henne's rate stats across the board.

Orton is going to miss Josh McDaniels dearly. Owners should hope for a trade to Arizona. … Despite a late-season funk, McCoy still exceeded expectations as a rookie. … Garrard may be a fine Dynasty No. 2, but he lacks long-term job stability. … McNabb would fare much better in Minnesota than he did in D.C.

Reaction score
Tier Six

27. Jason Campbell, Raiders
28. Chad Henne, Dolphins
29. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks
30. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bills

Campbell's play picked up at the end of last season, and the Raiders offense is on the rise with Hue Jackson. He's still a No. 2 in a best-case scenario. … Henne is a turnover-prone check-down artist, the worst of both worlds. … Hasselbeck's playoff performance proves he can still play. A significant boost in surrounding talent would do wonders for his production. … Someone needs to tell Chan Gailey that Fitzpatrick is stretched as a starter. That someone is GM Buddy Nix, leading up to this year's draft.

Tier Seven

31. Marc Bulger, Ravens
32. Dennis Dixon, Steelers
33. Matt Flynn, Packers
34. Josh Johnson, Buccaneers
35. Alex Smith, 49ers
36. Rex Grossman, Redskins

Bulger enters the offseason as a flier on the chance that he takes over the Cardinals' offense. … Dixon's body won't hold up, but it would be interesting to see what he could do if given the opportunity to compete for a starting job. … Flynn is overvalued around the league right now, but there's no debating the fact that he far outpaced expectations in his one fill-in start at New England. … New 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh coached Josh Johnson at San Diego State. Just sayin'. … Smith was a turnover-prone checkdown artist long before Henne. … Grossman could enter the 2011 season as the Redskins' starter, a fitting statement on the Daniel Snyder era.

Tier Eight

37. Seneca Wallace, Browns
38. Jimmy Clausen, Panthers
39. Charlie Whitehurst, Seahawks
40. Tarvaris Jackson, Vikings
41. Shaun Hill, Lions
42. Caleb Hanie, Bears
43. Billy Volek, Chargers
44. Bruce Gradkowski, Raiders
45. Drew Stanton, Lions
46. Stephen McGee, Cowboys
47. Joe Webb, Vikings
48. Tyler Thigpen, Dolphins

Clausen gave Todd Collins a run for his money as the worst QB in the league in 2010. He's not the answer in Carolina. … Whitehurst is a long-term backup. … Tarvaris would be an interesting fit in Philly as Vick's backup should the Eagles deal Kolb. … Hill is a must handcuff for Stafford owners. … Hanie showed promise in the NFC Championship game. … Webb is an intriguing stash in deeper leagues, but there's still just a slim chance that he'll play a full season as the Vikes' starter. … After two years in Miami, Thigpen still needs the shotgun spread to be effective.

Tier Nine

49. John Skelton, Cardinals
50. Sage Rosenfels, Giants
51. Matt Leinart, Texans
52. Chad Pennington, Dolphins
53. Jon Kitna, Cowboys
54. Trent Edwards, Jaguars
55. Kerry Collins, Titans
56. Jake Delhomme, Browns
57. Brian Hoyer, Patriots
58. Brady Quinn, Broncos
59. Luke McCown, Jaguars
60. Troy Smith, 49ers

Skelton isn't a viable option to start the season in Arizona. He's not nearly accurate enough. … Pennington can't be counted on for more than a game or two. … Could someone please tip off the NFL's color analysts as to Collins' actual value to a team? He sports a 2-11 record the past two years versus 12-7 for Vince Young. He's basically Derek Anderson at this point in his career.

Tier Ten

61. Chase Daniel, Saints
62. Nate Davis, Seahawks
63. Matt Moore, Panthers
64. Byron Leftwich, Steelers
65. Brodie Croyle, Chiefs
66. David Carr, 49ers
67. Max Hall, Cardinals
68. Derek Anderson, Cardinals
69. Kellen Clemens, Jets
70. Brian Brohm, Bills
71. Tony Pike, Panthers
72. Rhett Bomar, Vikings
73. Dan Orlovsky, Texans
74. Mike Kafka, Eagles
75. John Beck, Redskins

Daniel showed promise in preseason action last year. … The same could be said for Davis over the past two Augusts. … Leftwich has run out of chances to start. … Croyle was somehow viewed as a possible starter in 2011 before he faceplanted in a spot start against the Chargers. He's always been brutal. … Hall proved to be nothing more than a brittle, pop-gun armed backup. Think Ty Detmer. … Kafka has arm-strength issues of his own.

Top Bottom