C

Cr122

LB Sean Lee is already making plays no one else can make
by GEORGE RIBA

wfaa.com

Posted on July 25, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Updated yesterday at 8:55 PM

SAN ANTONIO, TX - Cowboy’s rookie linebacker Sean Lee has quickly discovered that and NFL training camp is different then what he has ever experienced before.

"If you're going against the first team offense there's no room for mistakes," Lee says. "In college there was a little bit of room you could make up for, but here you have to be perfect every play."

Lee as selected in the second round as the teams 55th overall pick from Penn State. He was the last of the seven picks to agree to a contract on Friday. He has already discovered the advantage of having guys like Keith Brooking and Bradie James on his team.

"It's been great. They're really gracious," Lee says. "Those are guys who have had a ton of success and I'm really blessed to be on a team with those guys. Every time Keith comes out, when he makes a really nice play I'll be like, 'How did you read, what were you reading, what did you do to make that play,' and he goes through his process of what he saw and how he plays a certain defense and it really helps me."

"Sean Lee is going to be fine as far as the learning is concerned," says head coach Wade Phillips. "I think just the playing, knowing what to do, but how to do it I think that's going to take a little bit. He should have lined up a little deeper on one of the stunts today, you know the detail stuff. Again he knows what to do, but certain things, they had a stunt in front of him and if he had lined up deeper he could have made the play easier.

Phillips says Lee is already making plays that nobody else is able to make. "They ran a play one way and cut back the other way and he's supposed to fill over the top on one side, he filled over the top and cut back the other way and made the tackle over there," says Phillips. "You just don't see that. Some of it is instinct. He's a really good player, and I think he's going to overcome some of the mistakes he’s making."

Lee knows he has a lot to learn and knows his instincts haven't fully kicked in yet.. "There's still thinking," says Lee. "It's just that there's a lot of wrinkles and a lot of formations, and it's the first time I'm playing again for the first time; going through that whole thing. Like I said I feel like I've looked good on some plays and on other plays I've looked bad; I'm all over the place. It's frustrating because you want to be perfect but you can't expect to be perfect. The thing you can expect is to get better each day."

Phillips says he expects Lee to get significant playing time this season. He is competing with Jason Williams for the nickel linebacker role. He is also expected to be back up to Brooking and James.

C

Cr122

Ayuh, that's what I'm talking about.

This dude is fast and can make quick cut backs from sideline to sideline to make the tackle.

He'll be our nickel linebacker when the season starts.

Top Bottom