Reaction score
ProFootballTalk ProFootballTalk
As of last night, Jay Ratliff and Cowboys were nearly done on a five-year, $40M with $18M guaranteed, per league source.

Wow, just as he shows signs of age. Thats gonna be a mistake.

Reaction score
Agreed...mistake in a big way unless he shifts out to DE. I am all for rewarding players, but we do it often for players that are at the tail end of their career.

Reaction score
I don't get this.

I mean, I think the kid has been underpaid for most of his career, but this is a terrible idea.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I like Ratliffe but things like this tend to go south on Jerry soon after the ink dries. Ratliffe is a very good football player with some tread left but his play diminished some last year and has not shown anything this preseason suggesting he is trending upward again.

Reaction score
newbury1310 David Newbury
The Pats traded a 30 year old d lineman for a 1st rd draft pick.The Cowboys sign J Rat(coming off his worst year)to a 5 yr $40 mil extension

63echo

Reaction score
What a dumb move. He outplayed his last contract sure, but you don't dump this kind of money on a 30 year old, declining (?) player.

I'm tending to agree with SBK here on his opinion of Stephen Jones.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah mixed feelings here. Love Ratliff and want to reward him but this just seems like too much. We overpay some of our own players but refuse to spend money on necessary outside free agents (Safety, Interior OL).

I think Jerry suffers from 1 of these 3:
1. Loyalty to the players he signed/drafted.
2. Misjudging of talent and when a player has peaked.
3. Arrogance that the players he drafted/signed UDFA's are always better than outside available players.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hopefully its cap friendly and even more important, hopefully he performs at a higher level this yr and the next couple.

I think he's headed for DE pretty soon.

Reaction score
espn_macmahon Tim MacMahon
Jay Ratliff got a $10 million signing bonus, agent @MarkSlough said.
54 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Don't like it, means he'll be costing us money when he's 34 and 35. Probably a lot, and he probably won't be on the roster then. Fucking Jerry Jones.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't like it, means he'll be costing us money when he's 34 and 35. Probably a lot, and he probably won't be on the roster then. Fucking Jerry Jones.

Not according to this:

From the sound of front office whispers, however, the new deal will not hurt the Cowboys if Ratliff remains on the team through at least 2013. The nose tackle will receive $18 million guaranteed, and a significant enough portion of the payoff is front-loaded so that the Cowboys would not be handicapping their salary cap situation if forced to release him after that point

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The deal is fine, fine money, but I don't see why we did it now rather than wait a while to see if he picks up his play a bit. On deals like this I'm just like "who are we biding against?"

But think thisalso has to tel you that the coaching staff thinks alot more of Ratliffs performance last year than the fans do, and fans are notoriously terrible at evaluating linemen.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
newbury1310 David Newbury
The Pats traded a 30 year old d lineman for a 1st rd draft pick.The Cowboys sign J Rat(coming off his worst year)to a 5 yr $40 mil extension

They have been trying to replace Seymour ever since and have failed miserably, that was a mistake on there part.

Reaction score
But think thisalso has to tel you that the coaching staff thinks alot more of Ratliffs performance last year than the fans do, and fans are notoriously terrible at evaluating linemen.

That's an optomistic view.

For the Seymour trade the Raiders made... was Ryan the DC in Oakland at that point?

It'd be interesting if Ryan wanted to trade for Seymour, and reward Ratliff like this for his defense. No?

C

Cr122

I dunno why some of you are surprised, Jerry's a dipshit when it comes to this.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But Jerry isnt making this decision.

To extend Ratliff? I would think that's all Jerry. I agree with you that Jason has tons more control than Wade ever had but I would think extending current players is Jerry's domain. I'm sure Garrett was consulted though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
To extend Ratliff? I would think that's all Jerry. I agree with you that Jason has tons more control than Wade ever had but I would think extending current players is Jerry's domain. I'm sure Garrett was consulted though.

I would think Garrett and Ryan had a much bigger impact on it than Jones did. If Garrett was telling Jones he had serious doubts about Ratliff's long term ability here, I cant see why they'd have done this.

They keep denying it, but it sure seems like the obvious Ratliff to DE move is not too far down the road.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I would think Garrett and Ryan had a much bigger impact on it than Jones did. If Garrett was telling Jones he had serious doubts about Ratliff's long term ability here, I cant see why they'd have done this.

They keep denying it, but it sure seems like the obvious Ratliff to DE move is not too far down the road.

Agreed. That would mean we now have Ratliff (signed through 2017), Spears (signed through 2015), Hatcher (signed through 2013), Coleman (signed through 2012), Lissemore (through 2013), and Geathers is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent after this season. We should not be drafting or signing a DE, unless a great one falls to us, anytime soon.

Maybe we make a run at free agent Paul Soliai (6-4, 355 age 28 next year) or target Washington's Alameda Ta'amu (6-3, 337) in the draft.

Top Bottom