ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
In 2016. Chargers have a year to decide if they want to play at their stadium, or if they decide quickly enough they can go next year, too.

If they decline, the Raiders have the same option.

Was just flipping around and stumbled on the NFL PC. I know this is business and the Rams stadium sucks -- it sucked almost 20 years ago when I went there and nothing much has changed since then -- but Kronke comes off like an asshole. Not a lot of sympathy for the St Louis fans.

This is weird. I don't really remember the last relocation very clearly like this.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Just, wow. The vote was 30-2.

Rams to return to Los Angeles

HOUSTON—The National Football League is headed back to Los Angeles in a big way.

After two decades without a team in the nation’s second largest media market, NFL owners voted Tuesday to move the St. Louis Rams back to the city they called home for nearly 50 years. NFL owners also gave the San Diego Chargers the right to join the Rams if the two franchises can work out a deal to share the planned stadium, or $100 million to help finance a stadium in San Diego.

The vote came after years of negotiations, land deals, stalled talks and bare-knuckled lobbying within the exclusive club that is the NFL owners group. Ultimately, the owners voted to approve a move by one of its wealthiest owners, Stan Kroenke, who controls one of the most valuable large parcels of undeveloped land in the Los Angeles region—site of the former Hollywood Park Racetrack in Inglewood where the franchise plans to build a $2 billion stadium, and Alex Spanos, scion of the Chargers, who has owned his team for more than 30 years.

“We worked hard we got a little bit lucky,” said Kroenke, whose team won its only Super Bowl in St. Louis. “It is a difficult process and it is bittersweet.”

Dean Spanos, Alex’s son, said the deal allowed him to safeguard the future of the franchise and the options to continue negotiating with San Diego. “I’m going to look at all our options,” he said.

Left out in the cold was Mark Davis and the Oakland Raiders. One of the league’s lowest revenue clubs, the Raiders play in one of the league’s most antiquated stadiums. Until Tuesday the Raiders and Chargers had an agreement to partner for a stadium in Carson, about 20 miles south of downtown Los Angeles. The franchises had even hired the influential Walt Disney chief executive Bob Iger to lead the project, and initially, an ownership sub-committee on Los Angeles voted earlier Tuesday to recommend the Carson project. However, the project failed to receive the necessary three-quarters approval, or 24 votes, to get passed.

Then as night fell, after 12 hours of discussions, owners voted to approve the Rams relocation and give the Chargers a year to work out a deal with Kroenke. That agreement can be extended for an additional year, according to officials. The Rams, and possibly the Chargers, will likely play at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum while the stadium is built.
So, do the Rams then go to the NFC West? If so what replaces them in the South?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Welcome home your LOS ANGELES RAMS!

as a native of and someone that was born and raised in Los Angeles I can't begin to explain how happy I am to have the Rams back in L.A.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452656082.585222.jpg
This Los Angeles Rams football was placed in my crib the day I was brought home from the hospital a very long time ago. It is now about 1/3 of its original size and its petrified and hard as a rock.

I grew into a Cowboy fan while watching Roger Starbach play. I will always be a Cowboy fan first and foremost. But I was raised a Rams fan.

I just wish that my cowboys played the Rams at home here next year. Here's hoping I finally get to see my Cowboys in person some day here in LA

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Apparently Jerry Jones played a big part in making it happen. Has anyone heard what that is all about?

At least Jerry did something good for once

Now if only he would die life would be great

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
sucks for St Louis, but I love the fact that the Rams are playing in the Coliseum again. takes me back to the 70's and those titanic LA-Dallas battles. maybe they'll revert to their old blue & gold uniforms, too.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I can't believe we finally have a NFL team back in LA

it's been a very very long time

Unfortunately they are talking about the Chargers possibly joining them in the new stadium

I hate the Chargers. That would ruin the move. I'd much have the Raiders as the second team even with all the crap that would bring with that fan base

Apparently jones put in some report that has something to do with the Raiders moving to Texas and becoming the third NFL team. I wonder what that's all about

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Raiders will try to get a more desirable stadium proposal from Oakland. If a year passes, or if the Chargers officially pass on LA, then the Raiders have a year to jump on the LA deal.

Other options for the Raiders are San Antonio and Portland, Oregon.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Do they go to the West or stay in the South? If they go to the West, what replaces them in the South?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The soonest the Cowboys could play in Los Angeles is 2018 IF the Rams and Cowboys are same place finishers in 2017.

Unless the Raiders become the 2nd LA team before the 2017 season. In that case we play at the the Raiders in 2017.

Other wise, the next guaranteed game in Los Angeles for the Cowboys would be the 2020 season.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well I'll just hope they both win their division in 2017

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Both the Chargers and raiders were offered $100mil to stay in their current markets by the NFL

Anyone know or remember what Jerry's World cost to build just for comparison?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Anyone know or remember what Jerry's World cost to build just for comparison?
Just for comparison, jerruh bought the team for $140 million.

The idiot stadium cost in the neighborhood of $1,200 million.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He paid $140 mil back in 88-89?

Jezusssss he was that rich back then?

I mean I knew he had money back then. But dayummmm

I can only imagine what the fuck is worth nowadays after owning that fat cash cow of a team all this time

Reaction score
Wait... it's early but am I crazy? Skimming this thread... haven't the Rams always been in the NFC West? Rams/Seattle/Cardinals/Seahawks, right? The South is the Bucs, Panthers, Saints, and Atlanta.

Wtf are you guys talking about?

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The Raiders will try to get a more desirable stadium proposal from Oakland. If a year passes, or if the Chargers officially pass on LA, then the Raiders have a year to jump on the LA deal.

Other options for the Raiders are San Antonio and Portland, Oregon.

Ummm, St. Louis is an option now too.
They are trying to pass building a brand new outdoor stadium in St. Louis now too.

Will it help bring in another team? Who knows, more than likely it'll help the current owners extort more taxpayer money from their current cities

Top Bottom