cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
For argument’s sake I will use nfl.com’s power rankings….
NFL Power Rankings, Week 5: Denver Broncos claim No. 1 spot - NFL.com
..which would have us drafting 25th.

I also use CBS Sports prospect rankings as a default draft board. Last, we do not have a 5th round pick but we do have an extra 7th round pick from Buffalo.

1(25) Zach Cunningham LB 6-3/230 Vanderbilt
489655438-zach-cunningham-of-the-vanderbilt-commodores-gettyimages.jpg

Cunningham is a do-everything linebacker who is going to test really well. He is athletic enough to play either OLB spots, while having the frame and physicality to play MLB.

2(57) Cooper Kupp WR 6-2/215 Eastern Washington
SRX_EWU23_24159428_t460.JPG

At pick 57, I was kind of in no-man’s land (I don’t allow trades in my early mocks) so I took the next highest guy on my board. Terrance Williams and Brice Butler are both pending free agents, so the pass-catching machine Kupp (352 career receptions and counting) will be a fan favorite in Dallas as well as valuable part of the offense.

3(89) Davon Godchaux DT 6-4/293 LSU
Alabama+v+LSU+SMSt_PPYTzUl.jpg

Godchaux is the disruptive penetrator you want at defensive tackle. He recently got in trouble at LSU but the charges were dropped and he was reinstated by the team. Worth the risk in the 3rd round.

4(121) Deatrich Wise Jr. DE 6-5/280 Arkansas
deatrichwisejrsmall.jpg

Throwing bodies at the defensive line. Jack Crawford, Terrell McClain, Ryan Davis, and David Irving are potential free agents, Benson Mayowa might be a bust, Gregory is a huge question mark, and not too sure what to make of Tapper’s injury. Wise reminds me of Tapper in that he is big enough to take on blockers, while still being quick and athletic enough to rush the passer.

6(185) Justin Evans SS 6-0/195 Texas A&M
DEL_151017_Alabama_vs_TX_A&M_113.jpg

No way do I think Justin Evans will be available in the 6th, but the rules of my mock have him there, so I happily take him. Playmaker with all of the qualities you want in a strong safety. He will be a great counterpart to Byron Jones.

7a(210) Nick DeLuca LB 6-3/245 North Dakota State
0B3MZQqG_yFGnUjRGYjdhM2F1MEk.jpg

Another LB? Yes. Rolando McClain, Justin Durant, and Andrew Gachkar are free agents. Kyle Wilber could be (should be?) a cap casualty. Another FCS player? Yep. DeLuca has been a force at middle linebacker for the Bisons, who have beaten FBS teams like Iowa and Iowa State over the past few years.

7b(217) Sam Rogers FB 5-10/228 Virginia Tech
460x.jpg

The team tried to get by with two converted fullbacks this year with Keith Smith and Rod Smith. Why not use a 7th round pick to draft an actual fullback? Rogers is a jack-of-all-trades fullback for the Hookies who has his best games against the biggest opponents. He is an effective receiver and a willing blocker.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I still think you are looking at the teens as far as draft position. The defense really hasnt started stinking it up yet.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I still think you are looking at the teens as far as draft position. The defense really hasnt started stinking it up yet.

You are probably right, but this is why I use someone else's draft board and someone's power rankings. It's too subjective: "This guy won't go that early/late"... "we will picking way later than that."

I'll change to the actual draft order as we get later in the season.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Glad you are finally coming around on FCS and the vaunted Big Sky conference

Get some Caleb Kidder and Brady Gustafson in there and this might be an A+ draft

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Glad to see you didnt force pass rush if the value isnt there. Cunningham cant be stupid either. Vandy has high academic standards.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Pass rush is still the biggest need on this team. If Miles Garrett is out of reach I can see us taking somebody like Johnathan Allen or DeMarcus Walker.

Top Bottom