Reaction score
Cowboys: Love and hate (Observation Deck)

By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Pete your opinion!

SAN ANTONIO -- Observations from Dallas Cowboys camp:

Love

• The skill people. You look at the quarterback (Tony Romo), the slew of backs and all those receivers and tight ends, and it's hard not to think this will be one of the most explosive offenses in the league.

• The plan to get the ball more to running back Felix Jones. He is a home-run threat, who can give them the big play. He has added some weight, up to 218 pounds, and now weighs more than Marion Barber, who lost some. It's his time.

• Their edge rushers. DeMarcus Ware is the best speed rusher as a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL. Anthony Spencer came on late last season on the other side, although he has to prove he can do it again.

• Corner Mike Jenkins. He will play more press-man coverage this season, which says a ton about his ability. He's one of the better young corners in the game. Watch him mature this season into a Pro Bowl corner -- earning it, not getting in because of injury like he did last season.

• Nose tackle Jay Ratliff. He isn't the usual suspect on the nose. He isn't as wide as some, but he holds the point and he has good quickness as a pass rusher. He gets it done. He's one of the better inside players in the game.

• The early swagger from rookie receiver Dez Bryant. He turned down Roy Williams' request to carry his pads -- which all rookies are expected to do -- and that's a big mistake. The vets will make him pay. But I like the moxie. And he looked good on the field in the work I saw.

Hate

• The uncertainty at left tackle. They let Flozell Adams go and will likely play Doug Free in that spot, although Alex Barron will push him. Free has started some on the right side, but this is a big step up for him.

• The age that is creeping in at some spots, particularly inside linebacker and offensive line. Those players are all capable of playing good football, but at some point it will become an issue.

• The burden of the expectations that hover over this team. That will be tough to live up to for the Cowboys. Playing a Super Bowl in your home stadium has never been done before. The Cowboys are expected to have a real shot to do that. That's pressure.

• The overrated interior of their offensive line, which is big in size but doesn't always play that way. Center Andre Gurode and guard Leonard Davis have to play up to their reputations.

For more from Pete Prisco, check him out on Twitter: @PriscoCBS

Reaction score
Regarding the hype . . . so far, I like the teams approach. I've read and heard several times people talking about taking it one practice at a time, one day at a time, etc.

Also, Pete makes a good point about age on the line. That said, offensive lineman generally are capable of playing well into their mid-30's. While I think it's a concern, it's not an immediate concern for this season, IMO.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Regarding the hype . . . so far, I like the teams approach. I've read and heard several times people talking about taking it one practice at a time, one day at a time, etc.

Also, Pete makes a good point about age on the line. That said, offensive lineman generally are capable of playing well into their mid-30's. While I think it's a concern, it's not an immediate concern for this season, IMO.

This is what I eventually envision for the Cowboys' Oline, preferrably after this season.

LT: Barron

LG: Gurode

Center: Bright---heard alot of good thinfgs about him coming out of camp---so far, definitely an upgrade over Proctor.

RG: Davis

RT: Free---he actually outplayed Colombo at RT.

These moves right here would take 13 years off of our starting Oline. Gurode and Davis would be the only ones over 30.

Top Bottom