Playoff win or fire Garrett?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If you KNEW for certain a loss Saturday night would result in Garrett and most, if not all the rest of this staff finally being gone, would you openly CHEER for a loss instead of advancing?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Two years ago when we had HFA, I wanted to win and advance - Garrett be damned. It's a little easier to root for a loss when you're the fourth seed and will need to win two on the road to make the SB. Also, I would've picked Seattle in the "Who ya got" thread were I still eligible.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This a tough call because I think more than any year, there is no juggernaut out there waiting to crush us, and I think the current team could go a long way, but wont. I think no matter what happens on Saturday Jerry will think the Cooper trade has them on the precipice and rationalizations will be made. Linehan still likely gets fed to the lions though.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
I could drop dead the day after the game, hell even tomorrow; win.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Its definitely a perplexing subject.

On the one hand I am a fan of the team, and want us to win, especially in the postseason.

On the other, I think Garrett has proven to be completely incapable of leading the team to a championship, whether we win this game vs Seattle or not. It's not like he's a 2nd or 3rd yr coach either, it's a long, proven track record of mediocrity and failure with him.

It's also hard for me to not want him gone at any cost (even if that means I have to "pull" for a loss this weekend) because I wholeheartedly believe that almost anyone would be an upgrade over him. It's a known that some coaches will potentially be turned off by potentially working with Drunken GM, and some could be concerned about potentially being "stuck" with Prescott (although I think there are a ton of qualified people who would openly take that and be happy, because they'd believe in their coaching style/system enough that they would think they could get more out of him), but there's only 32 of these jobs available and the Cowboys have a very young, talented roster with a number of high end players in place along with a ton of salary cap flexibility. I could see a number of quality coaches being VERY interested in working here because of this, and ultimately that would mean more chances at actually winning a championship, instead of this "hope" that we might under Red Plague.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
No. I never cheer for a loss. Players need to learn how to win and take each game seriously. Besides, losing does not guarantee success in the future. (see the Cleveland Browns)

Something to think about though. Jason Garret ought to hang a picture of that Beasley catch in his office. Why? As great as it turned out, imagine if the Cowboys went into a game against a 5-10 team, actually tried their best to win, and still lost. Then they came out flat and tired in the Playoffs. Garrett would be gone for sure. That one knee might have saved Jason Garrett's job.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I voted fuck garrett because im one of the few sane/rational people who post here

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Rip the bandaid off quickly

Lose and fire Garrett. Be done with him for good.

If we win and move on who knows how many more years of mediocrity we will have to endure with Garrett

I never want to root against the Cowboys. But I look at it this way, I’m actually rooting for the Cowboys future.

Because if we keep Garrett on as HC we have no future! That is a proven fact. 8 years and counting. And I’m tired of counting!

Last edited:

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I've said before in a similar thread, I could never root against the Cowboys except when they are out of contention and playing for draft position. Having said all that, I certainly wouldn't be sobbing into my hankey if Garrett got fired.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not rooting for a loss by any stretch and I like having one more week of football. But if we lose and Garrett gets shit canned, then it'll make the a lot loss easier to accept.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
For 40 years Ive been the most passionate Cowboys fan - says everyone who knows me. And no matter how good or bad the season is going Ive always thought we could turn it on and win it all, until we are eliminated. Always looked forward to a new season with optimism thinking this could be the year. Loved when we won and was miserable when we lost.

Now . . . . . . . . . . . . . . there is no joy or thrill when we win. Losses dont even move the pain meter needle. I watch because its a lifelong habit and I dont know what else to do when its football season. I like wins but the emotion is about 1% of what it used to be. Losses dont even hurt anymore. And its all because of that sorry loser Red Clapping Clown Fraud. He alone, when even Jerry couldnt do it, has killed my joy and passion in following this team. 40+ years of fan says lets win and go on a run. I could never root for a loss. But if a loss means Garrett is finally gone I hope it is the most humiliating loss in team history because the joy of seeing him gone would far outweigh any joy that would come from a win with him still around.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
For 40 years Ive been the most passionate Cowboys fan - says everyone who knows me. And no matter how good or bad the season is going Ive always thought we could turn it on and win it all, until we are eliminated. Always looked forward to a new season with optimism thinking this could be the year. Loved when we won and was miserable when we lost.

Now . . . . . . . . . . . . . . there is no joy or thrill when we win. Losses dont even move the pain meter needle. I watch because its a lifelong habit and I dont know what else to do when its football season. I like wins but the emotion is about 1% of what it used to be. Losses dont even hurt anymore. And its all because of that sorry loser Red Clapping Clown Fraud. He alone, when even Jerry couldnt do it, has killed my joy and passion in following this team. 40+ years of fan says lets win and go on a run. I could never root for a loss. But if a loss means Garrett is finally gone I hope it is the most humiliating loss in team history because the joy of seeing him gone would far outweigh any joy that would come from a win with him still around.

I feel exactly the same BUT because of jeri not Garrett, whom I'm ambivilant about. I have always and will still maintain Jason is just a symptom of the larger problem and I'm still not convinced, despite his flaws, that he's not the best we're ever gonna get with the jackass owner still walking the earth, and thats not intended to be a compliment to Garrett.

Jeri (& his spawn to an extent) has killed my passion:

EMoC3wY.jpg

Remove them from the football side of things and let that room be filled with football experts who have devoted their lives to understanding the intricacies of the game, personel, team building, etc, etc and then my hope and optimism will return.

Until this happens, it won't, changing coaches will be tantamount to moving around deck chairs on the titanic because jeri will NEVER allow any coach to come here and steal his thunder and be given enough control over football operations. It'll be the same type of person just thrilled to be given the job and will check his balls in at jeri's office prior to being announced HC.

When the day finally does come that Garrett is no longer HC, I expect to see the same type of person you saw in Campo, Gailey and Phillips. There will never be another Parcells/Jimmy type coach as long as jeri is alive, put that in 3 inch headlines and feel free to rub it in my face if proven wrong

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I feel exactly the same BUT because of jeri not Garrett, whom I'm ambivilant about. I have always and will still maintain Jason is just a symptom of the larger problem and I'm still not convinced, despite his flaws, that he's not the best we're ever gonna get with the jackass owner still walking the earth, and thats not intended to be a compliment to Garrett.

Jeri (& his spawn to an extent) has killed my passion:

EMoC3wY.jpg

Remove them from the football side of things and let that room be filled with football experts who have devoted their lives to understanding the intricacies of the game, personel, team building, etc, etc and then my hope and optimism will return.

Until this happens, it won't, changing coaches will be tantamount to moving around deck chairs on the titanic because jeri will NEVER allow any coach to come here and steal his thunder and be given enough control over football operations. It'll be the same type of person just thrilled to be given the job and will check his balls in at jeri's office prior to being announced HC.

When the day finally does come that Garrett is no longer HC, I expect to see the same type of person you saw in Campo, Gailey and Phillips. There will never be another Parcells/Jimmy type coach as long as jeri is alive, put that in 3 inch headlines and feel free to rub it in my face if proven wrong

Cant argue with any of what u posted. I still hate Garrett more than anyone else that has ever been associated with the team tho. Even more than Deion.

Looking at that pic I think about what Jerry's offspring would be if they werent born into money. Stephen looks like he could be a plumber or maybe a butcher at a grocery store. Maybe a store manager at grocery store. Charlotte would be some struggling skanky haggard worn out fluzzee on her 4th or 5th marriage and probably living in a single wide.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

I root for the PLAYERS. I root for them to overcome the clown coach, the officiating, the opponent, the elements, bumps bruises and injuries and everything else.

And what do we have this year? A group who can actually DO it. Who has shown they can. The youngest roster in the tournament, hungry and ready to make some noise playing for each other. Playing for their brothers in arms. Eschewing all the noise whether it's blatherskite from the clown, mumblings from the drunken moron owner, or the press and media who all say they're not good enough.

Root for the PLAYERS, pally. And fill your heart with pride and joy. This is By God fucking playoff football. There's 20 teams who are done for the season. We're not.

And if you ain't fer the Cowboys, you ain't fer shit.

Dupree89

In the Rotation
Reaction score
get this one guys. I am listening to WFAN in NY right now. Hosts are Jody Mac and Gary Myers. Myers just wrote a new book about the Cowboys and he appears to be tight with the Jones family.

They just had Stephen Jones on for an interview. A tough get on game day. Myers starts to ask this question:

Has Jason Garrett earned a contract extension (at this point Stephen says "absolu".... then stops) and myers finshes his question with...based on what the team accomplished this year?

then stephen says....we're only focused on this game. We want to get a win tonight and worry about other things later...blah bah.

myers says...Stephen as I was asking that question, I swear you started to say "absolutely".

and stephen says...no no, we are just wanting to focus on tonight, seattle is a good team and we need to get a win tonight.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
get this one guys. I am listening to WFAN in NY right now. Hosts are Jody Mac and Gary Myers. Myers just wrote a new book about the Cowboys and he appears to be tight with the Jones family.

They just had Stephen Jones on for an interview. A tough get on game day. Myers starts to ask this question:

Has Jason Garrett earned a contract extension (at this point Stephen says "absolu".... then stops) and myers finshes his question with...based on what the team accomplished this year?

then stephen says....we're only focused on this game. We want to get a win tonight and worry about other things later...blah bah.

myers says...Stephen as I was asking that question, I swear you started to say "absolutely".

and stephen says...no no, we are just wanting to focus on tonight, seattle is a good team and we need to get a win tonight.

Garrett has the Jones family beat at their own game. He's beaten them at the BS game.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I swear you started to say "absolutely".

of course he did, there's zero doubt in my mind, he's coming back for 2019 except for death or health issues (or he grows a pair and resigns)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
of course he did, there's zero doubt in my mind, he's coming back for 2019 except for death or health issues (or he grows a pair and resigns)

Lose tonight and prepare to be amazed.

Garrett is 100% gone if we lose. Book it.

Top Bottom