Reaction score
Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT

Eric Dickerson needs to worry about Adrian Peterson. So does Emmitt Smith.

Peterson, who holds the single-game rushing record, openly has talked about toppling Dickerson’s single-season mark. Now, Peterson is talking about becoming the all-time leading rusher.

With 9,506 yards to go, Peterson predicts he’ll surpass Smith’s mark of 18,355 within five seasons.

“I have to do some calculations,” Peterson told Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. ”I’ve been in the league seven years. I’m already right around [9,000]. Calculate it out. . . . Let’s think. Maybe get a couple 2,000 yard seasons. . . . I’ve got . . . hmmm . . . 2017.”

Peterson added that he believes it will happen late in the 2017 season. Specifically, in Week 16. By Wiederer’s calculations, Peterson needs to average more than 120 yards per game to get there.

We’ve got a feeling that, whether it’s in Week 16 of the 2017 season or Week 17 of 2018 or Week 18 (possibly) of 2019, the day is coming to, as Chad Johnson would say, kiss the baby.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Which one of you losers volunteers to "Jack Ruby" this guy if he gets close?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
He is at the stage of his career when injury after injury starts adding up and he slows down. If it doesn't happen, a bullet in the kneecap may be needed.

Reaction score
I heard about this on Mike & Mike this morning. Apparently it was a light-hearted interview and Peterson was playing along.

Seriously, though, I don't like his chances either (due to his injury history). He'll probably have some big seasons, though, before he falls short.

Reaction score
That makes sense that he'd be joking.

And of course the media takes a light hearted comment and tries to make a story.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There's no way anyone breaks that record.

No one will ever be as durable as Emmitt and have the same line he did for 95% of his career.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
At the same point in their careers, Emmitt had 107 more rushing yards than AP.

But more importantly... Emmitt did it in the playoffs. Like Barry, AP is excellent during the regular season, but not so much in the playoffs, although just a little bit better than Sanders when it comes to the playoffs, which isn't saying much.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
If he gets popped for his HGH use, it'll never happen.

Nobody gets over a torn ACL in 2 weeks.

Reaction score
Yeah ... seems likely that he's on something. Miraculous recoveries/feats are suspect.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Peterson added that he believes it will happen late in the 2017 season. Specifically, in Week 16. By Wiederer’s calculations, Peterson needs to average more than 120 yards per game to get there.

That also would be averaging 1900 yds a season the next five years if he is touting 2017 as a record breaking year. NFW he does that.

Maybe if he eats HGH for breakfast ,lunch, and dinner he may have a shot. He is going to have to play into his mid 30's to get near arms length but his running style along with an already reconstructed knee gives me serious doubt he actually gets close. People were chanting the same thing at the same point of Tomlinson's career and it didn't take long for him to fizzle.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He needs 1900 yards a season for the next 5 years. He may average 1200 over that period if he's lucky. That puts him 3,500 yards shy of the record. That's not very close.

Top Bottom